Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dreggsta
Outlaw Extremist
  • Total Posts : 10283
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/03 23:02:34 (permalink)

oil leak?

i have noticed that the head from where it bolts to the jug & is wet from there to the top of the head. i noticed a light odor coming from the front of the bike after a small run & after some looking around i noticed it. i haven't messed w/the motor or had this problem so i haven't tried to fix it yet. figured i'd describe it & see what yall thot. i wanna say that it might be the gasket but it isn't wet from where the head bolts to the jug downward. only where they mate & upward. if it was a gasket leak it'd leak where they mate & downward right? am i describing this clear enough?

If I say something that you don't like, that you assumed it to be how you interpreted it & you don't ask me to clarify what i meant then heck yeh, I meant it tripled how you took it.

I don't see drama as a problem, I see it as an opportunity. You've been warned!

fr.... your fail has been recognized.

31 Replies Related Threads

localfiremedic
    Outlaw Extremist
    • Total Posts : 9684
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/03 23:28:14 (permalink)
    Dreg it's not a valve cover leaking is it?

The Pride AKA Team Carnage
    '12 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000  
    sold

'08 650 H1 TRV
    Reconstructed....
    700H1 fuel injected, 3.6s (braced, greased, and beefed mounts), shimmed primary, reclocked secondary, 16.5/21gram rollers, #54lb stall, MP axles, MTI arched lowers, single seater uppers, all single seater front shocks, bracket lift, 31wides on XL2s, HIDs, poly bushings, anti-kick back starter gears, straight cuts
    BuLLg0d
    Outlaw Extremist
    • Total Posts : 8759
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 03:53:56 (permalink)
    Thats what i was thinking. Maybe the valve cover which is a really easy fix.

Catvos Polaris Ranger   

TEAM BAD COMPANY
    www.teambadcompany.org

dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 08:57:47 (permalink)
    i looked up the parts & there is a gasket that goes around the fastener. that is the head bolts correct? it is wet from the top of the head & downward so this is where i am gonna start. also see that there are some crush washers for them too. do i tighten these bolts like the oil drain plug or a little tighter? i'm gonna check my valves too. any one know what the specs are? i know they should be on on the tight side if i remember right.

If I say something that you don't like, that you assumed it to be how you interpreted it & you don't ask me to clarify what i meant then heck yeh, I meant it tripled how you took it.

localfiremedic
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 10:47:10 (permalink)
    Dreg I got the valves on my 700 @ 3 & 5.  Here ya go

sold

'08 650 H1 TRV
    Reconstructed....
    700H1 fuel injected, 3.6s (braced, greased, and beefed mounts), shimmed primary, reclocked secondary, 16.5/21gram rollers, #54lb stall, MP axles, MTI arched lowers, single seater uppers, all single seater front shocks, bracket lift, 31wides on XL2s, HIDs, poly bushings, anti-kick back starter gears, straight cuts
    dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 11:00:52 (permalink)
    that looks like jibberish to me. all that i understand is the torque specs.

MUDPROTN
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1656
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 11:38:50 (permalink)
    take a pic

2009 Mudpro 700 
    Upgraded MP Axles  
    30" Roctanes 
    MTI rad relocate
    /// Stage 1-3
    White EPI secondary  
    RDC front & rear diff covers
    SS Wheels
    SLD welded
    dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 13:02:26 (permalink)
    i knew i shoulda took a pic before i left for work but i didn't. i am thinking the valve seals are bad maybe. the jug is dry where the head mates to the jug. the top of the head is wet down to where it mates to the jug. gravity would pull the leak down onto the jug if it was a valve cover gasket correct? wet on the top would indicate valve seals right? i'm new to this as i've never had this problem before. i want to learn to fix it & diagnose the problems so until i get a pic up i'd appreciate any tid bits & thots anyone has. or any comments or concerns. anything regarding this really.

GWC
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 35688
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 13:03:31 (permalink)
    The Rocker box/Valve cover does not take a gasket it uses sealer the same as the use when you split the cases and really thats the only place i think you would see oil coming from.

08 650H1 L.E.
    LimeGreen/Black, Rad racked, Dual 3" snorkels
    Custom 2.5" lift & MP shocks front,Polaris shocks
    Custom tie rods ;
    11:1 Wisco & WebCam 417, Dynatech CDI,AMR racing coil,Dyno jet kit
    400 oil cooler,Jet-Hot coated header & muffler
    Fully clutched BY:PSC: 4.0 gears
    Custom gauges & some Limegreen Strobes
    Sanny Bushings,Aluminum Skids, Set of 04 floor boards
    HL wheel spacer 1" & 1.5", Viper Max 3000
    29.5" Laws on ITP type 7s

dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 13:11:08 (permalink)
    well i noted on dcp.com that there are 4- valve fastener seals & crush washers & there is a head gasket so maybe that is what i should've said in lieu of the valve cover gasket? i wouldn't have caught it if it wasn't that smell you get when you drop oil onto a hot header pipe like when putting oil into a car or truck.

1badkittykat
    Outlaw Extremist
    • Total Posts : 5223
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 14:09:07 (permalink)
    Mine has a slight seep where the jug bolts down onto the cases, in the front. Its not like u can get it on ur finger, but I can see it develop after my bike sits for a week. No water gets in there so I said efff it. Also my center cases were leaking in a spot right above the front output shaft... only way to fix that was to slpit the cases again.... forget that!.. jb weld is awesome lmao

2011 Rzr S 800
    07 H1  

Baytown Atv FTW
    corkyw123
    Outlaw Extremist
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 16:18:40 (permalink)
    Dregg, from what you're describing it's gonna be like everyone else is saying, the valve cover is leaking. This will leave an oil residue from the top of head down to where head and jug meat.

Mine is doing it slightly also. It's an easy fix. You can either go through and resnug each valve cover bolt, or go ahead and remove it, seal it, and go with it.

2 Yamaha Banshee's rippin and roarin
    dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 17:50:46 (permalink)
    so corky, what you are saying is just re-tighten the bolts? if i pull them out then i need to silicone the valve cover when i put it back correct? my bad for my noobness on this. i can do a lot of things but i have never done this before or dealt w/it. i can do this too just trying to learn.

also, i can adjust the valves while i have the valve cover off correct? i'll see if the bolts are loose when i get back home. if they are then i'll assume that was my problem.

localfiremedic
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 18:09:59 (permalink)
    no need to silicone the valve covers.  They have a big o-ring seal on them that shouldn't need and silicone.  I'd check to make sure your valve covers are tight first

sold

'08 650 H1 TRV
    Reconstructed....
    dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 18:21:49 (permalink)
    that's what i'll do. i'll post back this w/e when i get home & let yall know. thanks.

Bulldog66
    Respected Member
    • Total Posts : 2095
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 19:09:01 (permalink)
    Mine was seeping a little around the valve cover as well. All I did was snug them up and it's all good.

07 H1 With a few mods.
    12' Wildcat. Stuff to come.
    dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 21:11:01 (permalink)
    yeh, i'm gonna buy some feeler gauges & chack the valve lash for my 1st time. cherry poppin lol.

corkyw123
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/04 22:47:48 (permalink)
    Dregg, you're not really gonna "feel" the bolts loose or anything. They'll likely all feel pretty tight, but just give each an extra snug (but dont go overboard)

IF that doesnt solve the issue, then you can apply sealant.

As for the valves, no, you cant adjust them with the valve cover off. The rockers are what you're adjusting and the rockers are housed in the valve cover (meaning attatched to valve cover) If you remove the valve cover, then you just removed the rockers too but the valve are still in the head. Cant really adjust anything unless they're together.

localfiremedic
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 07:05:36 (permalink)
    Well when I say the valve covers I guess I actually mean the "inspections plates" but I believe that's what we're talking about Corky.  At least I am, lol

sold

'08 650 H1 TRV
    Reconstructed....
    dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 09:39:30 (permalink)
    so when i insert the feeler gauge (not really sure where to insert) the gauge should slide in w/little resistance correct? i can turn the motor over by removing the cover plate to the pull start & turn it w/a ratchet right?

localfiremedic
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 10:16:14 (permalink)
    dre on the left side of the engine is a big allen head screw plug that you line up the marks to put it on TDC.  plug your spark plug and then just bump your starter until you see a line line up with the arrow on the outside of the engine where you removed that allen plug at

sold

'08 650 H1 TRV
    Reconstructed....
    corkyw123
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 11:24:31 (permalink)
    localfiremedic

Well when I say the valve covers I guess I actually mean the "inspections plates" but I believe that's what we're talking about Corky.  At least I am, lol

Yea you're correct here local, but from what I'm reading his description isnt leaking from there. He's leaking from right at the top of the head so it's between the head and complete valve/rocker cover. This area doesnt have a gasket or seal of any kind normally and a simple knick somewhere can allow a leak. Sometimes it can be tightened and cured, sometimes you may need to apply a bead of sealant.

corkyw123
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 11:40:13 (permalink)
    Dreggsta

so when i insert the feeler gauge (not really sure where to insert) the gauge should slide in w/little resistance correct? i can turn the motor over by removing the cover plate to the pull start & turn it w/a ratchet right?

Dregg, the oval inspection plates as Local mentioned above are where you'll be adjusting the valves at. When you take those off you'll see the rocker arms and the valve springs. The rocker arms will have little nuts and threaded shafts on them. That's your adjustments.

Your feelers will slide between the rockers and the valve spring area, and you adjust the threaded shaft down to that.

taker
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2846
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 12:07:51 (permalink)
    The Rocker cover does have a seal and its made out of a liquid sealant stuff that you can buy (some suggest not to use black RTV for this) however I have used it with success but it does come from the factory with a sealant in this area. Now if you end up pulling the rocker cover DREGG keep in mind there are all the bolts you can see and then there is also an additional bolt under each of the valve inspection covers that also need removed and whatever you do dont pry on the rocker cover just give it a little bump and it should pop free. The rocker covers can and do leak some so that is likely your problem!!

Xtreme  Missouri Boyz™
    Finding the holes and rooting them OUT  

2010 ARCTIC CAT 450
    SS212
    28 ZILLAS
    -------------------------------------------
    MAKING BIGGER BIKES LOOK NORMAL SINCE 2008

corkyw123
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 12:13:56 (permalink)
    Taker, that's the best and simplest explanation yet.

But, are you sure they all come with some type of sealant from the factory? I know for sure my 500 does not have any sealant here. Possibly removed from previous owner?? IDK. I had the cover off when replacing the cam and know for a fact that it doenst have sealant now.

dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 14:19:44 (permalink)
    went to my dealer while at lunch. while i was there i took a look at amotor they had a part so i could get an idea of what is what & how they'll look. job looks simple ebnough.

taker
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2846
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/05 20:49:10 (permalink)
    ebnough=FAIL!!

Xtreme  Missouri Boyz™
    Finding the holes and rooting them OUT  

2010 ARCTIC CAT 450
    SS212
    28 ZILLAS
    -------------------------------------------
    MAKING BIGGER BIKES LOOK NORMAL SINCE 2008

dreggsta
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/08 21:04:11 (permalink)
    ebnough = spelling fail!

one of the valve cover bolts were loose. that i guess was my prob. will see if that foxed it. i put a lil silly cone round it & tightened it down & went round all of them & made sure they were all tight. just that one was loose.
    post edited by Dreggsta - 2010/10/08 21:05:14

Shano
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 691
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/08 22:37:55 (permalink)
    Foxed=Fail again LMAO

2012 CanaMander
    Lightly Modded
    sold
    2014 Maverick xrs
    A few mods :)
    Shano
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 691
    Re:oil leak? 2010/10/08 23:08:47 (permalink)
    But on the real my ol ladies bike is doin the same.. Went to tighten the bolts and a couple seemed like they are stripped not sure why though..Hmmm

2012 CanaMander
    Lightly Modded
    sold
    2014 Maverick xrs
    A few mods :)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5