LockedKing Quad 750 Stalling...

Mud Bogger
2012/07/02 20:07:09
started riding the bike the first night and it rode great. its a 2012 750 fuel injected model. the second day I went and filled up the gas tank.. it started getting where after it would warm up it would stall out to a dead stop while riding.. then you could crank it up and barely give it any gas before it would cut out untill it stalled out completely. noticed if you let it sit some the better it would go without having the problem. i figured since i had put a full tank of fuel in it that i got some fuel with water. I put some stuff in it to get rid of the water. kept running it and when it got down to less than half a tank it seemed to run fine all the time without problems. except for small notice in acceleration. I thought the problem was gone.. filled the tank up with some new gas from a totally different gas station in another town. as soon as it had another full tank it started again. its not the air filter I have checked that. its really annoying. its like it gets warm and doesn't get fuel correctly. no lights are coming on to suggest a fuel injection or fuel pump problem. At least i would think there are sensors to kind of pick up on those. I have seen a few posts on other sites with people having same problem.. but the problem with most posts is no **** BODY POSTS WHAT THEY FOUND WAS THE SOLLUTION... so ANNOYING 

big bore power
Mud Master
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/02 21:14:52
Try running it with the gas cap off may not be venting and check fuel filters I have got water and trash in my fuel that gave me fits if it's under warranty let them fix it
4man0822
Outlaw Extremist
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/03 00:25:16
IMO you have a vent problem, either the check valve or the tubing from your vent is pinched/kinked!! When it does this, take the gas cap off & if it vents big time, there lies your problem!! Good luck & keep us posted as to what you find/try...
thskilla0069
Mud Bogger
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/03 17:29:21
where is the tubing and check valve on the tank? the **** tank is covered by plastic.. do I got to take that thing off.. i have no clue why this bike has so much un-needed plastic. 
shorthair
Mud Master
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/03 17:58:21
Yes, you have no clue.

I can not believe how utterly clueless.
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/03 18:03:08
if you have took it therw any water the plug may have got wet too, it happend to my 700 all the time
thskilla0069
Mud Bogger
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/04 09:32:53
shorthair i don't have the bike next to me which is why i was asking so when i get to where i leave it I will know. 

yeah the atv is snorkeled and i take it pretty deep. but when the symptoms started happening it hadn't been through any.. that first night was just trail riding.. so i figured water didn't have anything to do with plug cause it had been 2 weeks since it had seen any.. but i hope that is all it is
shorthair
Mud Master
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/04 10:19:27
Is there evidence of the gas cap gouging into the fender. This is evidence that the one way valve is plugged or the line is pinched. It can very easily be done.  Also a rushing of air when loosing the gas cap. This line should be snorkeled. Mine is tucked under the air box cover. I have relocated the valve so that I can monitor the cleanliness of the air entering the tank.
A dirty fuel pump filter is next to suspect.
I would recommend that you siphon your tank to find water at the bottom.
Next is a low fuel pump pressure that can be checked with a fuel pressure gauge available at Harbor Freight.

There are techniques that are available to raise the rear fender (without taking it off) to get complete access to the tank to clean and/or service the fuel pump.

All this information can be found in the "Tech Tips" section of the "king Quad" forum.
Good Luck.

Attached Image(s)

ford97
Mud Pro
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/04 11:16:34
does the king quad have a rollover valve like on a grizzly? i know some of the grizzlies have had problems with the rollover valve and the tank not venting. i replaced mine with an inline fuel filter.
shorthair
Mud Master
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/04 13:59:28
No. TOS 

["Did you take the fuel filter out of the tank to see how dirty it is? Brown means it needs to be changed. Did you adjust your TPS with engine cold? I understand it won't start. When you adjusted your TPS did the position of the - (dash) move to the top of the 00 at wide open throttle? It should. There is an idle adjustment procedure to do after you adjust the TPS. Did you try cycling the key twice before you hit the start button?

All this stuff is in the "tech tips". Sounds like a very dirty fuel filter.

If you had to bend the steering column back into position (cracked air box) you might have damaged the [<font]TOS (roll over sensor) because it is between the steering column and the air box."]

thskilla0069
Mud Bogger
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/14 15:29:13
actually the suzuki place had around 5 or 6 other bikes having the same problem in the last month.. they talked to suzuki and they said that the bikes are vapor locking... to run it untill it acts up and then turn the key on and leave it sit for a few minutes to get the air out of it. I haven't tried it yet but i went ahead and ran my vent line up to the pod. I know the stupid check valve was not working cause i could blow air straight into the tank.. therefore it had to be getting water in the tank since i submerge it alot.. going to see how things go after running the vent line and test suzuki's theory of it vapor locking.. if they know they vapor locking how come they not doing a recall on something to fix it ><
shorthair
Mud Master
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/15 05:21:35
Just a little light reading for you.

Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use  2012-01-25 13:38:00 Posts: 47
NEWTOWN, Connecticut , USA

Ok...my 1 way tank vent was clogged. I couldn't blow into the tank - only out. I was able to clean a ton of gunk out of the valve, but it is still not working properly. ( btw.. A new [ ----------------
2006 KING 700 Camo ITP Mud lites 26x12 rear, 26x10 fronts,on aluminum rims, aftermaket air filter, winch, full under armor, heated grips and a few other things I dont recall..
  NYROC ATV
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 13:56:50
ATV/UTV Paradise, Colorado , USA

I personally would not pay $40 for a plastic vent check valve. Many after market valves out there. Someone might chime in and give more info. But here is one on e-bay. Check Valve

The guys that do Tech tip know more than I do. I would wait for them to visit this thread for their opinions.

----------------
Welcome to NYROCATV. We are glad you found us and hope you enjoy your visit and call us your new ATV/UTV home. Many on NYROC ATV are very knowledgeable and willing to help.
Tech-Tips-Events-Rides-Reviews-News.Follow us on FaceBook-Twitter-YouTube
  shorthair
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 14:41:54 Posts: 2025
Clarkston, Michigan , USA

There's a reason that the pressure valve is at the same attitude of the fuel system. The escaping fuel can get no farther than the top of the tank should the valve fail and the tank starts to shift under the pressure build up.
That pressure can turn the tank so that the gas cap will dig into the rear fender and be very difficult to get off and could make a gauzier. This can be caused by the rear fender pinching the pressure valve line between the frame and fender.

You need to have good access to this valve to r/r.

----------------
07 king 700 camo
Edit Glenlivet
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 14:48:25 Posts: 5439
Hope, British Columbia , Canada

My understanding is exactly what nyroc said, the valve allows air in to replace gasoline consumed but not allow any gas to escape in the event of a rollover.
It's not critical or even important to quad operation, mainly a safety feature. You could concievably just extend the hose from the tank to somewhere high like near the pod, put a little cheap gas filter on the end and Bob's your uncle.

The likelihood that in the event of a rollover, gasoline will drizzle out of the tube, soak your clothes, ignite as a result of electrical spark, and send you running down the road screaming in flames like a human torch, is pretty slim.
But Suzuki's lawyers weren't going to take that chance.

Since the gas tank is enclosed and has only that vent opening as well as the fuel pump exit line (that won't allow air to enter the tank and that would also be under the level of fuel if the quad were flipped!), were it upside down then only an ounce or so of gas could come out anyway before the inner tank pressure becomes low enough the no more gas would escape.

If you want to keep the fourty bucks I wouldn't lose sleep over any chance of mayhem you might be seen as taking.

----------------
My King Quad
I do Clutch mods, A-arm mods
Follow us on FaceBook-Twitter-YouTube
  Singlemalt
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 17:07:18
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia , Canada

Glenlivet wrote, "put a little cheap gas filter on the end and Bob's your uncle"

Essential to keep all the fine dust out that will migrate into the fuel tank along with the air that is replacing the spent fuel.

----------------
2007 Black King Quad 450, Runva 3500lb Winch, DJ Caster Mod, DJ UHMW Skid Plate, Quadrax Elite Front Bumper, Kimpex Rear Bumper and A-Arm Guards, Uni Air Filter, 25" Grim Reapers, 25 Gram Rollers, A-arm grease fittings.60" Tusk City Slicker Plow, Heated Handgrips, YFZ450-TRX450R Shock Mod, HID Lights, Coop's #3+ mod, E3.38 Spark Plug, CVT Rear Exhaust Mod, VDI, Dual Batteries
  Craigz9876
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 17:29:30 Posts: 12
West yorkshire, United Kingdom

Mine is the same as what bc3's did. But could I not just turn the valve around so it's working the right way and letting air in but no fuel out? Or just remove the valve and run the pipe from the tank with a filter up in the pod so it can breath either way?
----------------
2007 700 kingquad with vdi, coop shims and fixed plate mod, 26" maxxis bighorns an front and back warn winch
  shorthair
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 17:41:28 Posts: 2025

I sure wish I had an image of this gas cap digging into the fender.
----------------
07 king 700 camo
Edit shorthair
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 18:59:28 Posts: 2025

Just so I can get this right. No OEM pressure valve needed. Run the fuel vent line up to where ever (the handle bars) and put a gas filter on?
----------------
07 king 700 camo
Edit Dr Z
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 19:06:57
Colbert, Washington , USA

Those little fuel filters are perfect for keeping the dirt out of the tank. I've had one on mine since I heard about the mod a few years back. I've got my vent hose extended to under the seat where it won't suck in water.

My valve was working properly so I left it on, obviously.

----------------
Red 06 KQ 750BBK, VDI, EPI yellow, Coop 3.5+ & 1mm shim, UHMW skid, 26X9 Buzz Saws, STI B6 Slashers, Tatou 4S tracks.
  alfy
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 19:09:52 Posts: 276
west of charlottetown, Prince Edward Island , Canada

Yep filter.

I have mine lined to my air box front of seat and protected very well.

alfy

----------------
2005 kingquad. vdi, 26" XTR radial tires, floorboard mod, all warning labels removed,caster mod done[demijohn], exhausts for transmission snorkeled high,twin air,elite front bumper.
  Glenlivet
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 19:23:16 Posts: 5439
Hope, British Columbia , Canada

Exactly right, shorthair.
It's not exactly a pressure valve, just lets air in to replace gas burned but doesn't let any gas at all weep out. More like a negative pressure (suction) valve, if anything.
It not only lets air in though, it lets dust in as it sips air. Tiny fuel filter keeps all dust out of the gas tank, at least from that source.

----------------
My King Quad
I do Clutch mods, A-arm mods
  NYROC ATV
Subject: Gas tank check valve vent qstn. Purpose as compared to a diaphragm carb use 2012-01-25 19:26:37
ATV/UTV Paradise, Colorado , USA

Find them any place. Small gas filter that are perfect vent filters. 1/4 X 1/4 Been using them on Forklift vacuum controlled governors for years. Have one on my vent line.

post edited by shorthair - 2012/07/15 05:23:50
thskilla0069
Mud Bogger
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/15 10:03:52
thanks shorthair.. yeah i had checked out the site. I am going to get a small filter for it but I got it ran in the pod right now.. if the bike flips the last thing i am worried about is the fuel weeping out. i just can't have it sucking in water since its deep in the water a lot. 
thskilla0069
Mud Bogger
Re:King Quad 750 Stalling... 2012/07/31 18:57:28
ok well its definitively not the check valve bad. i got it vented and its still acting up.. you can ride it for hours and it won't start happening until you let it sit for awhile and then try to go again. you can take the air cap off and it does nothing. i am not going to tear into the tank and fuel pump since its under warranty.. don't want them to have any reason to say that i caused it by checking it out myself. The bike just doesn't have the power it did.. you can tell from taking off that its sluggish. **** i got beat by my buddies 350 raptor... come on now...