LockedRanger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons

Mud Master
2012/05/02 07:30:48
I am thinking about upgrading from my Rhino. I am torn between a Ranger and a Rzr. I like the ranger because it has the bed and I can fit the whole family in it with my rear bench seat. I wish the seats were more of a bucket style seat though and the size kind of scares me. As for the Rzr, I love the sportiness of it. I like the seats and the power. The size is good for getting through trails but the seats are close together. The Rzr is a blast to drive. I will miss the bed space.

Either way, which ever I chose, I'm planning on lifting, snorkeling, and throwing some Outlaw 2s on it.

Feel free to post any personal experience with these machines...
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 08:32:10
i just got a 800 50inch. i love it. the bed is not as small as you think. i have a full size icecheast in it and still a lot of room left around it. the seats are kinda small but you can buy the bench seat. they say it gives you a little more room and keeps the feel of the old seats. all i do with mind is ride. dont hunt out of it, dont use it around the house, just ride and it just right for that.
craka
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 08:46:44
It seems like I hear more of Rzr transmissions going out than Rangers. Is that because of more Rzr's sold? I have seen both do in action and I am honestly torn between the two.
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 08:48:15
Im pretty sure There is a thread about this already, I have a RZR 4 and I can fit down the trails fairly easy, and I have 6" lift and 31's, and I also have a Ranger and it's a great machine as well, the only complaint I have about the Ranger is the rattles and squeaks in the bed that I can't seem to get worked out and it drives me crazy. Either way I'm sure you will be pleased.
SouthernMudder
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 09:12:23
I love my Ranger Crew.  When everybody else is stuck yank them out in 2wd and when everybody brakes we hop in the ranger and ride no problems.  I went with the ranger because of bed size, easy to work on, carry 6+ people, good power and hear alot less problems from a ranger then a rzr.  My buddy has a 2011 rzr that has 600 miles on it with a blown motor, so that kinda got me away from the rzr, although I wouldn't mind haveing one myself.
Coreyflipp
Mud Monster
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 09:15:52
I like the Ranger between the two. People don't like their size but that's one of the things I like about them. I like the size of the bed, the ability to carry an extra person, people in the back etc. I think they look super tough with wheels and tires and I like that you sit up higher and it doesn't feel like you're sitting on the ground and you're not sitting in water when you have water crossings. A razor to me feels like you're riding in a fourwheeler and not so much a side by side. Also you're head and neck doesn't get covered in mud in a Ranger. There's one big problem with the Rangers, the seat gets so hot it feels like you're sitting on a frying pan, at least the passenger seat does.
birdmanf250
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 09:28:19
Rangers are easier to work on than the reg rzr.
Alewis
Mud Monster
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 09:40:43
With the ranger you will always end up hauling the big ice chest full of beer...
I love mine... I don't think the 2010s have the heat problems that the newer ones have.
Only problems I have had out of mine (other than me messing stuff up working on them myself) are 2 broken factory axles and 1 broken gorilla axle. 

Drive train is pretty stout unless you just punish it constantly.
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 10:46:04
i think why you hear so much about the rzr braking is because people buy them to give h#ll. dont get me wrong i like the rangers but i like to ramp, slide around, and play. i have 27s on mine with just the shocks turned up and i have had it a good 3 feet in the air almost everytime i ride. some times more. i like how the you seat in it not on it. the rangers feel more like a golfkart to me. but just like everthing else it all comes down to what you like and what you want to do with it.

LovinTheRide
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 12:24:12
Its all what fit you! I have a now 5 year old daughter and my wife that rides with me. The larger bed is fantastic for hauling all their stuff, cooler, tools, straps, air compressor, spray oil, starter fluid, fix a flat, tire repair kit, and in winter time all the warm cloths that come on and off throughout the day plus other stuff. MY little girl has a seat belt in the middle too.

My ranger is built for mud and trails and has plenty of power while running big tires and lifts. And so far only broken axles and a bad fuel pump that was covered under warranty. They are the same width as the RZR S and narrower the the XP. I have yet to find a trail I couldn't fit through.

I will say that if it where just me and the wife I would be building a RZR S right now instead of a Ranger! BUT I Really LOVE MY RANGER!!!
Yamasaki
Mud Pro
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 12:35:44
Two cometely different machines for two completely different uses. The real decision to make is, what do you want out of a machine? Then the choice will be simple.
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 12:38:47
^^^^So you sayin a ranger can't be used for the same thing as a RZR? Or vise versa?
Yamasaki
Mud Pro
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 12:59:52
Nobody said anything remotely resembling that. I guess if you so chose to you could use any bike for anything you want to. What I am saying is that onc you decide on what your riding style is and primary use will be, the decision should. E much easier to make.
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 13:16:28
do you like your rhino? if you like how it is then you would proble be better off with the ranger. if you think the rhino is slow and not enuf power then get the rzr. i had a rhino and hatted it. was slow, couldnt play, the only thing i liked about it was the radio. lol i sold it and got a rzr and love it.
LovinTheRide
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 13:45:19
They can be used as the same thing in my opinion... just built different ... most my riding is done with commanders, rhinos, and RZRs. We all ride the same places!
littlebigrancher
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 16:50:47
the ranger is just as fast as the razr so that blows that out the water

the300_outlaw

do you like your rhino? if you like how it is then you would proble be better off with the ranger. if you think the rhino is slow and not enuf power then get the rzr. i had a rhino and hatted it. was slow, couldnt play, the only thing i liked about it was the radio. lol i sold it and got a rzr and love it.

Kaw Kaw 650
Super Swamper
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 16:59:56
they need to put the prostar in the ranger. Has anybody heard of any new ifo on a upgraded ranger?
JTugwell
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 17:24:05
littlebigrancher

the300_outlaw

being pulled on a trailer maybe. 
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 17:27:00
Dude I have a ranger and a RZR and the ranger is slightly slower but it's no slouch, RZR has it on the top end only!!!
JTugwell
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 17:29:31
you talking about a rzr 4 or the standard one?  id agree with you all day on the 4.  its almost identical in weight with the same engine, and power. 
post edited by JTugwell - 2012/05/02 17:43:28
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 17:42:54
I have a 4 but my brother has a RZR S.
JTugwell
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 17:46:42
I like that rzr 4.  in the next few years ill be trading up for one.  
DWM
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 17:48:08
littlebigrancher

the300_outlaw

They aren't even close rzr is way faster not even in the same class. Ranger is a slow cruiser workhorse. Go drive a ranger then drive a rzr 900 they are not even close. 
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 17:57:23
^^ do you know anything about a ranger? They r not slow by no means, 56mph on stock tires, and your comparing to a RZR XP I agree those 2 r not in the same class.
post edited by Shiloh_Outlaw - 2012/05/02 18:00:06
SouthernMudder
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/02 18:06:28
You can't compare a 800 ranger to a 900xp rzr.

I love my Ranger, its comforatable, carry's everything, and looks great with lift/tires/wheels and nice to work on if needed.  I have 2-3 buddy's wanting a Ranger now after riding and seeing how good mine goes.

Id like to have a rzr for the sporty feel and all later on, but wouldn't trade my Ranger crew for one.
ROKNOUT
Mud Pro
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 00:16:53
Both r GREAT MACHINES!!
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 08:30:53
im not saying the ranger is slower. what i am saying is the rzr has more playing horse power. the way its set up is for playing. the ranger is more of work bike.
RZR444
Mud Monster
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 10:05:02
ROKNOUT

Both r GREAT MACHINES!!

X2 bottom line.
Mattpopp
Mud Monster
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 10:39:45
There is a guy on the rzrforum that put a Ranger 500 bed on a RZR.  Looked pretty awesome and I would like to do the same to my XP.

But Twisted Stitch makes a bench seat for the RZR to put little kids in. 

TO the OP, I say get the RANGER XP only because you seem to really want it.  Yes it is a very cool machine.  My next SxS will be a RANGER without a doubt.  They are just as capable in the mud/trails as the RZR is. 

Put the S3 6" lift on the RANGER and you will embarress most guys on a RZR.
sandy4bama
Trail Rider
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 12:09:48
IMHO it just depends on what kind of riding you like to do. But i will say if you mud alot, the ranger will be better. I've ridden with both. You will have to modify the rzr a lot to even keep up with the stock ranger for that kind of riding.
Mattpopp
Mud Monster
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 12:45:00
I would agree with a Standard RZR 800 could not go through as much mud as a RANGER.  It would need to be lifted to keep up with a stock RANGER.  But a 800 S or 900 XP will walk circles in the mud stock for stock. 

A 6" lifted RANGER wont compete with my 900 but I am sure it would be pretty darn close to me though.

One thing though, you will stay alot cleaner in a RANGER.
sandy4bama
Trail Rider
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 12:52:04
There is no doubt you will stay cleaner. The rzr's cover you up LOL! IMO i've always compared the ranger to my prowler as far as the mud riding. Comparible machines. I've never ridden with a 900 so i cant comment on that, but as far as the rzr s is concerned, i've pulled them out of many holes that i just went through. Thats from my experiences anyway.
sandy4bama
Trail Rider
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 12:53:26
that was before the mods.
littlebigrancher
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 15:21:22
where did comparing the xp900 razr to the ranger come from?? are people really that stupid to think i would compare the two, there is no comparison. BUT the standard 800 and ranger are very comparable in every dept
JTugwell
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 15:46:31
there is dang near 300 lbs weight difference between the standard rzr 800 and ranger 800.
Coreyflipp
Mud Monster
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 15:53:39
It depends on if you want a sporty version or a more utility version, obviously. It just comes down to personal preference. I have never got that exciting over razors, but when I see a Ranger I **** my pants.
It doesn't matter for me if I look at the pros and cons and see that a razor may be narrower and can fit down the tight spots better, I don't care, I'll make do with the Ranger because I like it better.
DWM
Mud Master
Re:Ranger Vs Rzr - Pros and Cons 2012/05/03 16:14:56
Shiloh_Outlaw

^^ do you know anything about a ranger? They r not slow by no means, 56mph on stock tires, and your comparing to a RZR XP I agree those 2 r not in the same class.

Yes I have rode one several times. To me just my opinion they feel alot slower than the rzrs.  The guy we ride with is constantly getting stuck or in a bind on it. I rode several rzr 800s canam 1000 prowler wildcat 1000. To me the rzrs stood out in handling and acceleration. I would have bought the 800 except everybody I know that has one has put a tranny in it.