LockedEntry level oil field jobs?

Mud Monster
2012/01/07 22:22:59
I know there is alot of guys on here that are working in the oil industry? What are some of the entry level jobs, for people with no prior oil field experience ? What do they pay and what are the hours? What are the advancement opportunities for the different jobs? Thanks in advance......
LSUh20fowler
Mud Monster
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/08 06:23:35
Depending on where your from will determine which jobs you can work. If you local to Lafayette, you can get into one of the many service jobs like wireline and call out work. Most of those are on call 24/7 and go offshore as needed. If you are not local and wanting a steady schedule, maybe try some drilling companies for a roustabout position. Most of those are 14/14. You could also try some sandblasting / painting companies.
baggeddreams
Mud Master
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 07:03:38
Where are you living?  What are you looking to do?  Work on a rig, sales, service, supply?  Kinda hard to tell you hours pay and all that cause it depends on what u wanna do?? are you married?  kids??  You wanna be home every night?? 
CATVOS RZR 1
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 07:36:27
DON'T DO IT......
ZacksBF
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 07:57:21
CATVOS RZR 1

DON'T DO IT......

x2!!

bulldog6691
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 13:02:55
Money is great for no college degree, but its dangerous, pretty awful hours at times and all about knowing the right people. Have lots of friends in the Oilfield. Ranging from hole diggers and crummy work, to the ones sitting in the truck watching those guys. If I wasn't in college or in the Military I think I would consider Law enforcement or fire fighting before I would ever take on Oil field, but I know everyone is in different situations.
lapoolboy
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 15:08:15
Once you enter the oilfield, you never get out.
ZacksBF
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 15:37:30
lapoolboy

Once you enter the oilfield, you never get out.

Exactly why I agreed with the above statement about not doing it.
If you ever work in the oilfield and get use to the excessive number of hours and checks that are full of overtime you will never want to work a normal job again (or be financially able to). Most people base their hobbies and debts on their pay scale and if you make 75k a year it is hard to take a pay cut in the future to 35k a yr. So even though the pay sounds great I would rather find a position somewhere in the 35k a year range and work my way up because if you join the oilfield your stuck. If you have a family and want a normal life then the oilfield is probably not a good choice. If you ever plan on having a family then the oilfield is not a good choice because your spouse or future spouse will probably hate your hours or rotation. So with all that said if you join the oilfield do not aquire a lot of debt (high maintenance wife, big house, fancy truck, kids,toys, toys, toys)that restricts you to your income level or you will find yourself stuck like most of us, lol.

eastTXbogger
Dirt Monster
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 15:47:29
I had no oil field experience and I am a pumper. 7-3:30 Monday-Friday with holidays off and I'm on call for 7 days every 6 weeks. I love it. Pumping isn't hard to learn and I started out in the mid 20s per hour
ZacksBF
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/09 15:58:18
Pumping is not a bad job at all and some sales positions in the oil field are great with not to many hours but that is sales and production side work. The entry level positions on the drilling side are nothing like that.
BTW, did you know someone to get a pumper job with no experience?
MT.DEW
Mud Monster
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/10 20:29:30
I am a police officer now, I would like to make more money. I am located in Arkansas, I have a few friends that work in the industry. One just went to work in lafyette as a mud logger. I have a future possible position in Conway, drivIng a track hoe loading dirt into a drier, I believe is what I was told. I would like to work at most week on week off, if I could be home nights would be great. I am willing to move, I do have kids and a family. I know of a sales position possibly available also. I have prior expierence in sales, law enforcement, patient care, and I have driven some equipment. I am a fast learner and don't mind working. What does sales actually consist of?
Yamasaki
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/10 20:39:44
If you want week on week off, this industry is probably not for you. There are companies that pay well for onshore drilling though, If you are willing to move your family around. Once you get out here and get used making 60 to 80 thousand a year, you will find yourself trapped. Take it from me, I would much rather make 35-40 thousand and be home with my family every night.
MT.DEW
Mud Monster
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/10 21:34:42
I don't have to work week on week off, that is just what that job driving the track hoe is, my brother in law works 3 on 1 off. I don't want to do that though, unless I live close and can go home on evenings.What do the sales positions actually involve?
blalock7
Trail Rider
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/10 22:07:12
Being a police officer or firefighter is a rewarding job, but its far from the money you will make in the oilfield...Just saying...But Id wouldnt trade police/firefighting for anything else :)
eastTXbogger
Dirt Monster
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/10 22:31:10
ZacksBF No I didn't know anybody to get the pumping job I have.  I was an instrument tech at a chemical plant and the company I am with now wants their pumpers to know the measurement stuff which is all instrument work.  Pumping is easy but the E&I side of it is a little more difficult and they didn't want to spend the time training people for it
hughes
Mud Bogger
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 18:54:30
I went to college to be an instrument tech but couldn't find a job so I started out as a roustabout for an automation crew with no oilfield experience making $16/hr entry level. Worked anywhere from 9 to 12 hour days, 5 days a week. All i did was turn a 36 all day on a piping crew rebuilding wellheads, then got transferred to a tubing crew, then i got transferred to a electrician crew. I then found a job as a pumper (aka multi skilled operator) and love it.  They hired me on and had to train me cause I had no experience on the production side. I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and am on call for 7 days every 5 weeks. It's a great job and I get a lot of overtime.
MT.DEW
Mud Monster
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 19:14:01
So it seems like the "pumper" position is a well enjoyed position.
sloboy
Mud Bogger
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 19:46:59
Ok. If you got to work in the gulf on a deepwater rig it will be 21/21. By deepwater I mean a rig capable of drilling in 8000+ feet of water. If your intersted in a job check deepwater.com and keep a check on it, and keep a resume in. You could prob get a medic job, but theres no fun in that. Entry level is a seaman position starting out about 65K maybe more IDK dont keep up with others pay scale, just my own.
09RANCH09
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 20:12:04
I would highly suggest trying to work for a pipeline company before applying for an offshore position. I have been working for a corrosion company supplying Cathodic Protection services. We work with a lot of pipeline companies and most of the guys like what they do.  They're also home every night.

There are a lot of guys on here who work offshore and as you can tell they're the ones with all the toys. I'm assuming they make $80k+/year.
sloboy
Mud Bogger
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 20:16:15
^^^ If your gonna work hard might as well make the most money.  And you might want to double you assumtion for some of us.
02Sleeper
Outlaw
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 22:03:39
Maybe your just policing in the wrong state????? In my area the start is around $45K toping around 60 or so. Plus lots of $30 an hour extra jobs.

sloboy
Mud Bogger
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 22:16:27
LOL,,dont take this the wrong way but they give you a gun an badge!! You cant make good money with that?? Just picking.
post edited by sloboy - 2012/01/12 23:11:51
02Sleeper
Outlaw
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 22:40:54
LOL Your funny. I had to read it a few times to get the meaning.
I guess I'm slow.  
etexmudbug
Trail Rider
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 22:56:23
as alot of people are saying. once your in the oil patch your stuck for life. i started with my dad when i was 14 and now im 39. im a pumper also and im a contractor working 7 days a week and get paid per well. some days its 4-5 hours and the next maybe 20 hours. dont get me wrong the money is real good but you dont have much of a life being a contract pumper.
sloboy
Mud Bogger
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/12 23:27:00
I started ten years ago as a roustabout (entry level) and have made a chief mechanic. Dont get me wrong I am gone from my family for 28 days but I am also home for 28. Yes I do mis some holidays,birthdays and anniversary's. But when I'm home I have the joy of taking my kids to school, making up for lost time with the wife and doing what ever I / we want to do. To me you get more time off as to working a 7-5 job, 5-6 days a week. It is like anything else, just takes time to get use to. Give it a try, you can always go back but once you get those first couple checks your gona be hooked!!
post edited by sloboy - 2012/01/12 23:28:50
MT.DEW
Mud Monster
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/15 06:50:49
LOL I made around 33k last year, and just started a part time job, which will be an extra 400 a month for 20 hrs of work, plus I just got a .28cent raise and suppose to be getting a 1800 across the board raise in the next couple of months....... I love my job, i just want nicer things for me and the family is all......
tony tt
Trail Rider
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/15 10:47:51
the oilfield is all of what you make it. if you want to make money without winning the lottery there's sacrifices. i've been doing it for 8 yrs now,,,took a break for a couple years before that but couldn't make any money. since coming back i haven't made less than 100k/yr. the important thing is not to live beyond your means and your never stuck here. i am home almost every nite, but do occasionally have to be away for some times a week, but we manage. there are +'s and -'s to it but again it's all in how you make it. i know guys i deal with out in the patch that make awesome money as well, but have nothing and live check to check. don't be that guy. 
ZacksBF
Mud Pro
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/15 17:06:23
Southwestern Energy Company in Arkansas is hiring so if you feel like you need to give it a shot then apply with them. They offer both 7/7 rotation and 14/14 rotation. I can't tell you how their pay compares though. I do know that much of the mineral rights in Arkansas have been purchased by multiple operators and I am hearing it will be a good play so the drilling in that area is just starting up and should last for many years to come.
Re:Entry level oil field jobs? 2012/01/15 17:31:00
Been in the oilfield going on 10 years now make over 6 figures a year and I have to spend 21 days away from my family and only get to be home for 7 days! It gets ruff being gone that long but like everyone says once your in that's it your stuck for life! You get use to the hours but you never get use to watching your baby girl get bigger threw pictures! It's a ruff life to live but has unlimited options of making a living! if your single I wouldnt think twice about it, that's what I did! But if I knew what I know now I would have worked in it for 5 years saved every penny I made and got out and became a door greater at walmart! But when you make good money and ain't ever made good money you start spending big money! luckily my wife saves all my money for me now! But it's up to you! Take consideration to what everyone has said before you make your final decision! Its hard to get out when you get in!