LockedNeed help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel!

Puddle Jumper
2011/01/26 19:53:47
If i ever thought i needed the most help with the 1999 polaris sportsman 500 i lied i got everything fixed and ready i replaced the stator and i start it right up and when i rev the engine up it seems good then acts like its not getting enough gas and starts bogging down does this have anything to do with the timing? it also is pretty bad when i tried to drive it, it would just go a little at the beggining and as i hit the throttle some more it bogs down like it dosent get enough fuel. It back fires also but nothing bad just alittle as i try reving it up, im not sure if its the float in the carburator or a fuel pump? or timing since i replaced the stator idk any help would be great please thanks yall!
D.D.HighOutput
Puddle Jumper
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/01/27 00:00:19
pull spark plug and see if its running rich or not. sounds to me like its not getting enough air. i had this problem and cleaned the needle in my carb. it got a little better but still bogged down especially when i got in a little thick mud. turns out my air intake was sucking up against the inside of the plastic covering my gas tank and not allowing near enough air in. fixed the problem for good on the sand bar with a pocket knife. always check the little stuff first before you try to ajust the timing or something along that line.. hope this helps.
muck boy!!!
Puddle Jumper
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/01/27 12:22:08
thanks man im gonna check it out soon!
BLUDEVILGRIZ
Mud Slinger
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/01/29 11:34:22
JUST REPAIRED ONE WITH SAME ISSUES, WAS SMALL CRACKS IN THE INTAKE BOOT. BLEW SMOKE AROUND IT TO FIND THE ISSUE LOL
muck boy!!!
Puddle Jumper
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/01/30 11:20:30
^ checked it and has no problem idk i think next thing im gonna do is fix the timing and hopefully thats the problem!
Slicksp500
Dirt Monster
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/02/01 16:53:56
U clean the carb, remove all the brass and clean with fine wire or tip cleaner, blow carb body out with compressed air. make sure the needle and seat isn't wore out. make sure the pin holes in the carb barrel are not stopped up. Fuel pump, fuel filter maybe. Have u checked the valve train, make sure right valve lash and no cam damage. U can also check timing while u'r there. Have u done a comp or leak down check on the motor.
muck boy!!!
Puddle Jumper
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/02/01 17:15:22
^ ^the only things ive done so far is clean the carb and blow with compressed air and i will try everything else asap thanks..i was just gonna mess with the timing soon so you think that can be the main problem because when i first got it everything was good it would do just fine and would run but during acceleration it would stall for a sec then pick back up but that was when i first got it so i went threw the whole bike cleaning everything and fixing anything needed like the stator magneto had to be replaced so it was stripped carb out and cleaned air intake out and cleaned starter and all checked so idk you think anything i did during the process had to do with timing because it was put all back together about a week ago and it starts up fine idles fine but then i give it gas and it will just die down and if i hold it steady at a high rev it will cut off.
BridelessRacing
Respected Member
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/02/01 19:15:47
check the cam exh lobe
Slicksp500
Dirt Monster
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/02/01 21:21:03
My main concern was the valve train. since u already cleaned carb, comp sounds good and know stator is good. Like Brideless racing stated exhaust lobe wears down on the 500 sometimes and won't open the exhaust valve or partially open it. 
jeff
Mud Master
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/02/03 15:52:51
BridelessRacing

check the cam exh lobe

EXACTLY!
bigpopo2792
Mud Master
Re:Need help with sportsman 500!! Acts like it dosent get enough fuel! 2011/02/03 23:51:09
X2 on the cam the older model non ho sportsman had a soft profile and tend to wear down and cause problems pretty quick especially if the oil isnt changed regularly.