Lockedwhat kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris?

Puddle Jumper
2011/01/24 20:31:51
So i need help im trying to find out what kind of oil does my 1999 polaris sportsman 500 take in the font hub caps to get the fourwheel drive right? is it possible to get this oil at like my local hardware store, what is the weight of it? anything will help....thanks!!
Po_700_Po
Mud Master
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/24 21:07:38
Polaris demand drive fluid is best but some people use synthetic atf. 
Dezz
Respected Member
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 03:23:10
Polaris Demand Drive fluid is best.

I used Synthetic ATF, regular ATF and the Demand Drive fluid the hubs of 2 Polaris atv I owned in the past. I had a 1997 500 Sportsman and a 1996 400 Explorer. Even though the ATF's did work, the 4wd worked alot better with the Polaris Demand Fluid.
The 4wd would engage and disengage faster. I also never had the problem of having one hub stay engaged.
With the ATF, I was always having a hub sticking (and having to back up to release it) and slower responding 4wd.

Dezz
BridelessRacing
Respected Member
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 07:58:14
polaris demand drive fluid or Justice Brothers transmission conditioner
muck boy!!!
Puddle Jumper
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 10:51:56
This all sounds good...am i able to get this at a local advance autoparts store?
Dezz
Respected Member
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 14:28:32
muck boy!!!

This all sounds good...am i able to get this at a local advance autoparts store?

You can only get the Polaris Demand Drive Fluid at a Polaris Dealer.

Dezz
hbchad
Mud Monster
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 15:00:46
Demand drive is the same fluid as the kawasaki wet brake oil that is used in the rear diff of a brute...if a kawi dealer is more convenient then that would work for you.

According to hilliard (the manufacturer of these things), the centralized front diff is designed to use "Mobil 424" or "Mobil fluid LT"  They don't have a datasheet for the front hubs but since a lot of folks run demand drive (which is actually the fluid designed for the 05+ centralized diff) in their hubs without problem I would assume you could use the Mobil products as well...
bigike
Mud Master
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 15:19:38
Synthetic ATF royal purple is what i use...
lost cause
Mud Pro
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 15:34:20
Only use the polaris brand demand drive fluid. usually only available at a polaris dealer.
muck boy!!!
Puddle Jumper
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 18:20:02
I just checked and i have some ATF but next thing i buy well be the polaris demand fluid no doubt i just have this ATF and im really low on fluid so i just put some in a little bit ago. I live about an hour away from a dealer so i dont get the chance since im busy to go over and get some but next time im around im sure its most likely the best thing for it anyways..
Dezz
Respected Member
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 18:48:09
hbchad

Demand drive is the same fluid as the kawasaki wet brake oil that is used in the rear diff of a brute...if a kawi dealer is more convenient then that would work for you.

According to hilliard (the manufacturer of these things), the centralized front diff is designed to use "Mobil 424" or "Mobil fluid LT"  They don't have a datasheet for the front hubs but since a lot of folks run demand drive (which is actually the fluid designed for the 05+ centralized diff) in their hubs without problem I would assume you could use the Mobil products as well...

I had totally forgotten about the Mobil 424 and LT fluid. These will also work the perfectly fine in the Polaris Hubs.

But I don't think the Polaris differential fluid is the same as the Kawasaki rear differential oil (with rear wet brake). The Kawasaki rear diff oil is Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Fluid. Although it may be similar (like people using ATF, also a similar product) I don't think its the same fluid as Polaris Demand Drive fluid.

BUT I may the wrong, and I acutally hope that I am. The demand drive fluid is almost $15.00/quart at my local dealer. Even though a quart lasts a long time, I can buy 5 gallon buckets of Tractor Hydraulic trans fluid at Wal-Mart for about $50.

Dezz
hbchad
Mud Monster
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 19:00:03
Dezz,
This turns into a long string of stuff, but the kaw wet brake oil is mobil 424.  I know that for a fact.  Its made in the same plant.  Here's where it gets really fun...

John deere uses the same differential built by hilliard in their gators.  The prescribed fluid for the JD gator is as follows:
John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARD® Transmission/Hydraulic Oil is recommended. Standard John Deere HY-GARD® Transmission/Hydraulic Oil may also be used.
Now i'm not going to bet the farm without seeing a comparison from a lab, but i'm pretty sure polaris demand drive, low visc hy-gard, and kawi wet brake are all the exact same thing...

Po_700_Po
Mud Master
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 20:52:39
I have an older Polaris repair manual that says type F atf is acceptable in the hubs.
hbchad
Mud Monster
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 21:04:57
Po_700_Po

I have an older Polaris repair manual that says type F atf is acceptable in the hubs.

That's interesting cause according to john deere:

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Mixing of LOW VISCOSITY HY - GARD™ and HY - GARD™ oils is permitted. DO NOT mix any other oils in this transmission. DO NOT use engine oil or “Type F” (Red) Automatic Transmission Fluid in this transmission.

Now i'm confused...

granted JD didn't use the hubs...this info is for the centralized diff...but I always thought the fluid requirements were pretty much the same...
post edited by hbchad - 2011/01/25 21:07:08
Po_700_Po
Mud Master
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 21:14:31
I just double checked it says type F and the manual is a Polaris factory manual. John Deer didn't use the hub style hilliard only the centralized hilliard in the front diff. The hub style is less sensitive than the centralized. It is pretty hard to damage the hub style if there is some oil in there. Either it will engage properly or it won't. Just don't run it dry. 
hbchad
Mud Monster
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 21:20:35
gotcha...i always figured the hubs were more sensitive than the centralized...not sure why I thought that....

ha...just realized I talk a good game but I still run the polaris brand stuff in my diff after all this talk...but i've got a 5 gallon bucket of hy-gard sitting next to the tractor...should I take a chance??  I think I will...

medicmudder
Puddle Jumper
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/25 22:29:09
You should run the polaris frt diff fluid in your hubs,it the hubs run off magnets to ingage the hubs.The fluid has metal pices in
the fluid to help the hubs ingage.Thats why when you put other fluid in the hubs,some times they work some times they dont.
I have a popo I hate that the stupid things take all different kind of fluids sucks,the dealers rip you off knowing you have to use the stuff.
Dezz
Respected Member
Re:what kind of oil for front hub in the 4x4 for polaris? 2011/01/26 03:09:13
hbchad

Dezz,
This turns into a long string of stuff, but the kaw wet brake oil is mobil 424.  I know that for a fact.  Its made in the same plant.  Here's where it gets really fun...

John deere uses the same differential built by hilliard in their gators.  The prescribed fluid for the JD gator is as follows:
John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARD® Transmission/Hydraulic Oil is recommended. Standard John Deere HY-GARD® Transmission/Hydraulic Oil may also be used.
Now i'm not going to bet the farm without seeing a comparison from a lab, but i'm pretty sure polaris demand drive, low visc hy-gard, and kawi wet brake are all the exact same thing...

Thanks Chad for this information and I am very glad that I was very wrong in my thinking. This is some awesome info.
I knew Deere used the same diff in their Gator XUV models (my diff has Deere parts in it now) but I didn't realize the fluid was Tractor Trans/hydraulic fluid. It kinda makes sense because John Deere is a tractor maunfacturer.
This is the kind of information we need to hear. This will help save me some headache if I need some fluid on a Sunday or something when everything except Wal-Mart is closed.
I am also like yourself as even though I now know this information (and will also talk the good game), I will still run the Polaris Demand Fluid for some reason.
Thanks again.

Dezz
post edited by Dezz - 2011/01/26 03:10:17