Lockedelectrical problem on kodiak 400

Mud Master
2010/12/17 06:53:09
i traded my dirtbike for this 01 or 02 kodiak 400 4x4. i had ben starting it by a screw driver on the sylinoid. so heres what happen. i went and hit a mud hole came back killed it. went to go crank it and all it does is turn down. its not the carb i checked that. I did check the sparkplug and its not getting a fire? what do yall think the problem is? thanks for help!
91CavGT
Mud Master
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 07:14:59
Turn down?  What do you mean by turn down?
gizzlyking0305
Super Swamper
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 09:14:41
Stator, coil, rectifier/regulator one of the 3 you will just have to trouble shoot it and figure it out.
Vega
Mud Monster
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 17:05:50
gizzlyking0305

Stator, coil, rectifier/regulator one of the 3 you will just have to trouble shoot it and figure it out.

Man that is real helpful......
How about checking the fuses first? Then maybe the ignition switches(key and thumb switch).

leed1315
Mud Pro
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 17:15:51
Cdi and especially Stator are very common with the older Yamahas.  As stated though it could be several other things. Without just replacing random parts you'll have to get a meter and start with the stator and work your way through to find out what exactly it is. It could be just a bad connection if you hit a mud hole.
gizzlyking0305
Super Swamper
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 17:21:59
Vega

gizzlyking0305

How about checking the fuses first? Then maybe the ignition switches(key and thumb switch).

Is there a fuse for the above stated? Does the switches control spark?
Vega
Mud Monster
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 17:32:06
gizzlyking0305

Vega

gizzlyking0305

Is there a fuse for the above stated? Does the switches control spark?

What do think happens when you turn one of those switches off? It doesn't kill the fuel.
gizzlyking0305
Super Swamper
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 20:50:27
You are right it does not kill the fuel, but I would think that the switches are wired into the CDI which at that point could kill the spark. I would have to look unless you can say you know for sure, but I dont think there is a fuse for the CDI.

Also for me it would be much easier to go from the plug to the coil then to the stator rather the tracing down wires for any switches. I like to hit the easy stuff first and go from there.
Vega
Mud Monster
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/17 22:11:39
I know for sure there is an ignition fuse. But if you would rather trace back to the fuse panel instead of checking the easy things first, more power to you. If you want help the original poster out, then why not tell him how to test everything you mentioned?
Shadowmaker
Mud Pro
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/18 18:12:51
Not being funny but you didnt hit the kill switch by mistake did you?  Not that I ever did that......
Monster Big Bear
Trail Rider
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 03:51:49
Shadowmaker

Not being funny but you didnt hit the kill switch by mistake did you?  Not that I ever did that......

I've never done that about ten times nether!
$$honda$$
Mud Master
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 09:27:13
91CavGT

Turn down?  What do you mean by turn down?

sorry i ment the motor just turns over and doesnt burn fuel
$$honda$$
Mud Master
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 09:31:50
gizzlyking0305

You are right it does not kill the fuel, but I would think that the switches are wired into the CDI which at that point could kill the spark. I would have to look unless you can say you know for sure, but I dont think there is a fuse for the CDI.

Also for me it would be much easier to go from the plug to the coil then to the stator rather the tracing down wires for any switches. I like to hit the easy stuff first and go from there.

i had the front plastic off and checked all conections. i did take the coil and stator off but i dont how to check which one is broke?
$$honda$$
Mud Master
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 09:35:43
Vega

I know for sure there is an ignition fuse. But if you would rather trace back to the fuse panel instead of checking the easy things first, more power to you. If you want help the original poster out, then why not tell him how to test everything you mentioned?

weres the fuse panel at? ill check that too this evening. and the ignition fuse, if thats blown would that make the start button not work? bcuz the last owner said he had rode the day before it went out and the next it turnt over the motor and quite working. if so weres that at?
$$honda$$
Mud Master
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 09:37:38
Shadowmaker

no lol its on
gizzlyking0305
Super Swamper
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 13:23:56
Well you need a multimeter. The stator should have 3 wires and all 3 should very close to the same voltage & the resistance should all be the same or very close. You are going to measure between the stator windings/magnets so you want to put one lead on wire A and wire B the wire A and wire C  the check the same way by holding the leads on wire A and wire B then move the lead from A to C. The coil is simple you are just going to check to make sure you have the proper Voltage going into the coil( you will need to look in a manual for that) if you have voltage going into the coil but nothing coming out to the plug then you know it is a bad coil. I your Voltage and Resistance reading between to 3 wires are way off from each other then you know its a bad stator

If you dont have a manual for your bike the get one. If you dont have the correct tools for the job then get them or take it to someone to fix it.
Vega
Mud Monster
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 14:47:05
$$hond****

Vega

weres the fuse panel at? ill check that too this evening. and the ignition fuse, if thats blown would that make the start button not work? bcuz the last owner said he had rode the day before it went out and the next it turnt over the motor and quite working. if so weres that at?

Under the seat by the battery. I don't think the ignition fuse will keep it from cranking with the button. That is probably just the solenoid.
leed1315
Mud Pro
Re:electrical problem on kodiak 400 2010/12/19 16:53:59
I've had several Yamaha big bears that the push button wouldn't work on. I've found it to be 1 of 3 things usually. One is the motor control unit. Just a small box maybe 1 1/2" by 1 1/2".   2 is the oil temp sensor. If either are bad your neutral lights and all won't come on or anything to let your push button work or didn't with the ones I had the problem with. Neither will keep you from having spark but you will have to jump it off at the solenoid. The last is of course the solenoid and fuses for ignition. Usually if it is one of these your neutral light indicator will work you'll just get a clicking or buzzing noise at the fuse or solenoid. Maybe that will help you, not saying it couldn't be something else. Those are just the 3 things I have come across.

I have a stator from a 98 350 big bear and one from a 00 or 01 400. There is a good chance that it could work for your 400. If that turns out to bw what it is let me know and maybe we can work something out.
post edited by leed1315 - 2010/12/19 17:24:34