LockedChain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my Poluan Pro quit half way threw a 45 foot tree, going to tinker with the Low/high some time next week though. Its been threw **** and back though, I have cut atleast 35 of 40 trees with it for bon fire's.
Well to skip that part.

Im looking for a New one, must have 20 inch bar also. Looking at the stihl MS280 with a 20inch bar, and a few husky's. Not going to buy anything like that from a box store so a dealer is a must.

Lets hear your thoughts on the stihl ms280

Will not spend anything over $650 on one, Dealer knows me enough to know my pockets are pretty deep for new equipment so he tried to get me a ms880 with a 36 inch blade.  I told him I cant have top of the line everything.

post edited by Polaris_for_life - 2010/06/22 02:04:27
chester1
Mud Pro
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 01:04:49
husk farm tough 455 is all you need.  If you can get ahold of the 353 its nice too but outdated by the 455.  I have a 445 and 353 and i love them.  That 353 has some power to it.
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 01:44:31
If I get a husky, its going to be profisonal one's most likely.
Still looking, going to look at both before I by either one.
JJ800R
Trail Rider
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 03:25:34
I would go with the Stihl. I was going threw cheaper saws left a right. About ten years ago I bought the 029 and still have it to this day! ZERO problems, and I use this thing a lot! The 029 has 3.8hp, and the MS280 has 3.6hp. So they are pretty comparable. As stated I use my a lot, from trimming small branches and limbs around my deer stand, to cutting down big trees. Only complain is it gets heavy when topping and cutting small pieces for hours at a time. Also when that pull rope snaches out of your hand the first time, you are going to wish you spent the $30 on the compression realease. I will have it on my next one!
Been eyeing a MS170 at the local dealer for the smaller jobs.
I have friends that have the Husqvarna's and love them. I have yet to own one.

Good luck. JJ
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 03:41:19
Thanks im also going to look at the stihl MS 362 it has more power, and the decompression valve.
KMB 350/420
Mud Slinger
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 04:53:29
Have you looked at the Echo saws.  There are four models that should fit your need not to mention a 5 year warranty.  I bought the CS-400 with a 18 inch bar last year and love it.  Go to Echo online and look at their stuff, that is how I found out about them.  Then I searched on line and couldn't find any negatives on the Echo product.  As for me at this point I will only buy Echo anything. 
CS-450     379.00
CS-530     469.00
CS-600P   559.00
CS-680     599.00 
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 04:56:51
I have looked at echo, but there isnt a dealer on this side of the river witch sucks (dont have time in the week to go over there).
I have echo weedeater (Needs new carb cleaned, and is a small one)
It's nice but a curved shaft.

I will look into Echo alittle more, but nothing will be bought from a box store.
KMB 350/420
Mud Slinger
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 05:05:42
Polaris_for_life

I have looked at echo, but there isnt a dealer on this side of the river witch sucks (dont have time in the week to go over there).
I have echo weedeater (Needs new carb cleaned, and is a small one)
It's nice but a curved shaft.

I will look into Echo alittle more, but nothing will be bought from a box store.

cs-400 is the biggest from the box store.
muddzuki
Trail Rider
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 07:19:24
When I had the money I convinced myself that all I needed was a ms 250.  Now that I don't have the money I need more power.  I recommend a Husky 357 XP.  I got to try one while working for a power company and the power of that saw scared me a little bit which ain't necessarily a bad thing.
huntersmky
Trail Rider
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 08:01:46
you can't go wrong with a Stihl.  I'm running the same one that I bought new in 1993.  I've had to rebuild the carbs a few times but that's it.  Cranks on the first few pulls everytime. 
Vamped750
Mud Master
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 09:14:34
husky 455 rancher gets my vote, thats a bad**** saw
Dieselmaster
Puddle Jumper
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 11:12:26
I own Husqvarna 359
Great saw and has been through heck and back.
Pine, oak, hickory to anything in between. It has never let me down.
Probably cut up in the mix of 150-200 trees with it and she is still running strong like the day I bought her.
FF162BFD
Mud Master
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 11:18:14
Echo 400 all the way. I have wasted money several times on cheap stuff and it is not worth it. Echo also offers a five year warranty for homeowner use. The 370 is also a good model if all you need is a 16 inch bar.
Twisted10
Mud Bogger
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 12:20:18
i have a stihl MS280 w/ an 18" bar.

i had an old homelite, @ least 30 years old.  i just got the stihl.  so far i like it, but its a little small IMO, @ least compared to my old homelite.  but the stihl cuts better and runs better...  i should have went a touch bigger w/ the stihl, but for now its fine....
morgan_marty
Grass Hog
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 12:58:51
I have an old original Sachs Dolmar that is probably somewhere around 15-20 years old that was originally my grandfathers. After running this saw selling firewood for sometime I got to looking back into saws and found that Makita bought the Dolmar plant in Germany and was continuing the production. So I went shopping a few years ago to pick me up a Makita saw and bought a DCS510-18 Makita. It comes standard with 18" bar but I have replaced it with a 20" bar and both of them are going strong and wouldn't buy anything else!. I always enjoyed running the husquarvarna <Spelling? because they are very fast cutting saws but it seemed like every husqy saw I ran across had an oiling problem. I've ran a couple stihls and have nothing bad to say about stihl.. I just like the Makita brand. They also kept the Dolmar name going so there is Makita saws and Dolmar saws.. you can check em out at www.dolmarpowerproducts.com and www.makita.com
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 18:00:05
Dealer just called me, I can go get an ms361 for $600 and a cheap case for it.
Grizzly Man
Mud Pro
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/22 18:14:34
i say go stihl

my dad had a polan pro one of them wall mart specials so his finally died. well i went and bought a sthil with a little 14 inch bar and it will cut more then the wal mart special did
12guns
Trail Rider
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/23 09:12:45
Stihl.  I've had them all and nothing compares although husqvarna is a close second.

I bought an older 026 used from a guy on a chainsaw website I used to blog on.  I just hooked up a buddy of mine w/ a Stihl 026, newer, in average condition outside, but runs like a scalded dog, $200 shipped...  As you know it's a pro saw, weighs 10.5 lbs and is 50 cc. My dad has the MS290 but it weighs 3.5 lbs more and is only 5 cc more.  Anyway if for some chance you're interested to see what this guy has used, PM me or text 479-886-2327. I've had my "used internet chainsaw" for 6.5 years and finally had to take out the spark plug to clean it.  If you're looking to buy new, go stihl and it'll last forever. My dad had an old 028 Farmboss that lasted 18 years with frequent use. It finally crapped out so he replaced w/ a 290.
kodiak400
Dirt Monster
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/23 10:08:31
I would go with the stihl. i sale em for a livin lol an see huskys comin in alot more often than stihls to get worked on. i would go with somethin no less than the ms 311 reason being it has the big 3/8 chain on it an is alot cheaper to replace than the smaller chains believe it or not. but in my opinion i would go with the 311 or the 391  bc thier both excellent saws and alot cheaper than the 362 since the 362 is a pro saw.
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/23 10:23:07
well i went the go big or go home way and picked up a husky 390 xp  a while back, and if i  where to get another saw itd be a jonsered cs 2245 s or cs 2250 s. My dad still has his old poulan 3000. man that things been through heck and back and is still going strong.  but it brings a smile to my fave when the family goes camping and al the guys get out their saws mainly small poulans or homelites with 16" bars then i take out the 390 xp with a 24" bar lol
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/24 22:46:19

Well I got a ms361 got them to knock $100 of there asking price by emailing there main office and talking to the big boss (They said they wernt aloud to deal) Total befor tax was $609, thats chain saw, case, and 1 gallon of oil.  Total with tax was $659. Its been the second thing I have bought from them also.

Well to get to the saw, it cuts lighting fast. Didnt bog in the wood we had here (Fire wood).
It starts on first pull, and revs all almost instant.  Its my baby though.

I will be back when my craftsman weedeater goes out, Thanks Stihl.

Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/25 03:30:57
nice saw, post some vids of it in action
cyclepilot2
Puddle Jumper
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/25 11:51:37
good deal, i got a stihl also after hurricane rita and cut down all kinds of crap. between my ms250 and my friends 038 magnum II , no tree or limb was safe, lol
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/25 14:46:47
2005 yamaha bruin 350

nice saw, post some vids of it in action

Thanks, I will try to. Im waiting to go cut that 2 area lot in 2 weeks!!!!!
Codysown
Trail Rider
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/25 23:36:56
I looked at Stihl, and they are a great product.
I ended up going to compare them with the Echos' at the local dealer, ended up with a Jonsered.  

http://www.charlotte.usa.jonsered.com/node246.aspx

Best decision I have made yet.  Its got more power and runs smoother than the new Stihl I looked at and was $10 less.  All the local Tree companies are going to them and getting twice the life out of them.  I have a buddy that works a tree service that was playing with my saw and was so impressed that he is going to get one when he needs to replace his work saw.  No vibration and starts better than anything I have ever messed with.
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/26 00:23:24
Codysown

I looked at Stihl, and they are a great product.
I ended up going to compare them with the Echos' at the local dealer, ended up with a Jonsered.  

http://www.charlotte.usa.jonsered.com/node246.aspx

Best decision I have made yet.  Its got more power and runs smoother than the new Stihl I looked at and was $10 less.  All the local Tree companies are going to them and getting twice the life out of them.  I have a buddy that works a tree service that was playing with my saw and was so impressed that he is going to get one when he needs to replace his work saw.  No vibration and starts better than anything I have ever messed with.

jonsereds are good, I was looking at a stihl 036, but then got the husky 390 xp since  the price was right for $350 (first owner tight on cash), but I wouldnt knock stihls tho.
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/26 00:43:20
They are very nice saws, But I couldnt get one that looks like a poluan. Even if it was so much better.
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/06/26 01:59:39
Ohh, im just itching to use the saw now. Been watching vids on youtube for the last hour. 
lol.
I told dad, equipment is my cocain.
He said he would much rather me spend my money on equipment I could make a living off of verses a video game.
I told him I thought about saving money and getting some equipment and working with an uncle.
Said if I do, stihl ms880, and ms200t are next.
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/07/01 01:31:03
Well I have been doing some cutting for neighbors and family so I could use it, OMG I love it.
15inch logs like butter.

I got 1 acre to clear, they say it has close to 150 trees I will see.
I got a spare chain, and a 7/32 file. And no im not getting paid, working for family members.
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 05:44:30
well to bump it up, turn out there were more trees on that land then they said. I now have a total of 5 chains with it also. It cuts trees lightining fast, so much better then my unkles craftsman and my old poluan. It got to the point he just put his up because his chain kept popping off because of that tooless tighting system on it. There were tons of pine trees out there, it was fine on the pine's but the ceders it didnt like after about 10 of them then I had to sharpen or swap chains.
Had one tree the ms880 would of been so nice for, I had to cut one side of the wedge, go to the other side, then go through the middle. Its was a Big Mo-Fo. Took me about 15 min to get it down, and 10 of that was trying to change a hot chain out. We tried to pull it, didnt work So I halfed the tree, didnt work barried the tractor up trying to get it out. Then had to cut it 2 more times before it was light enough more the tractor to pull it. Then we only had to cut the other end once but I de-limbed it. Then he gets half way down and breaks the chain, And it was a big chain. It was mybe 12 feet long and weighed at least 75#.

That was the first 3 day weekend we did. Not bad for 2 people.

And this picture ^^^^ was about 3/4 of the way down, there is about 200 yards behind me.

All the way to that tree line, beleave it or not that is 2 acres of land they got recently. 
Im going to take a picture of the brush pile next time. lol

Point is, I recomend this chain saw to any one. But if you do get one beaware that the Auto oiler needs to be all the way up for pines/ceders

post edited by Polaris_for_life - 2010/09/09 05:47:43
Silveradols
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 09:17:07
check with the pawn shops.  I bought a brand new Stihl-MS290 and then I found a little older model at a pawn shop for half the price and all it needed was a fuel line.  Both have 20" bars and they are both the "Farm Boss".
03ArcticCat500
Trail Rider
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 10:25:04
I have a Poulan Farm Pro that I have been using for years with no troubles. One thing I have learned to keep it running good is to run it completely out of gas before it is put up and stored.  The Stihl's are nice especially with all the power. Good luck on your search.
DaddyRabbit
Mud Maniac
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 16:17:03
Find a Husky 372XP and be glad you made the right choice. This saw runs like a raped ape.

Polaris_for_life

Well my Poluan Pro quit half way threw a 45 foot tree, going to tinker with the Low/high some time next week though. Its been threw **** and back though, I have cut atleast 35 of 40 trees with it for bon fire's.
Well to skip that part.

Im looking for a New one, must have 20 inch bar also. Looking at the stihl MS280 with a 20inch bar, and a few husky's. Not going to buy anything like that from a box store so a dealer is a must.

Lets hear your thoughts on the stihl ms280

Will not spend anything over $650 on one, Dealer knows me enough to know my pockets are pretty deep for new equipment so he tried to get me a ms880 with a 36 inch blade.  I told him I cant have top of the line everything.

Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 18:35:05
I was just writing that last part saying I like my Stihl incase anyone else was looking for one.
DaddyRabbit
Mud Maniac
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 20:12:49
Here is my Snellerized Husky 371 XP. Scary fast!

DaddyRabbit
Mud Maniac
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 20:17:01
Here is my Grandfathers saw that I used to cut wood with as a young chap. It would make a man out of you real fast.

mudrider1322
Mud Master
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 21:53:43
I got a small Stihl 011 I think it is, must be at least 15 years old, a big storm came through a few weeks ago and went to work with it and my buddies Husky 455 Rancher. That Husky was impressive, I was always skeptical about them compared to Stihl but now I'm considering one.
redden3056
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 22:56:12
Goggle "MS361 Muffler Mod".  I did mine and it makes small difference for sure..
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/09 23:05:44
redden3056

Goggle "MS361 Muffler Mod".  I did mine and it makes small difference for sure..

Its going to stay stock for right now anyways, Im not very good with carbs but I am learning alittle on them.
rubicon_joey
Mud Pro
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/10 21:55:06
I used to work on both poulan and husqvarna saws and can honestly say I will never buy anything poulan makes. Sounds like you plan to, but do yourself a favor and stick with either a stihl or husky. Echo makes an ok saw (don't have much experience with them), but just about anything else is more trouble than they are worth. I've seen a share of huskys that wouldn't run out of the box (mainly due to a lean carb due to epa emissions  crap) but, 5 mins with the carb tool and they all ran like champs. Couple of other rare problems but those were mainly from abuse (wrong fuel mix, dropped from tree, improper lube etc..). Overall I would say best saw for the money. Not as much as a stihl, but not quite cheap as a poulan.
650rincon30d
Mud Monster
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/10 23:01:43
I wouldnt recomend anyone to buy a husky 455 Rancher there oilers are trash and the chains dont last long at all. I work cutting cedars 5 days a week and i went threw 5 huskys in a month. The chains wouldnt last me about 15 trees and it was streched to the max. They have an adjustable oiler and it was turned all the way up and wouldnt put out enough oil. I could go threw 3 tanks of gas to a tank of oil on all 5 of the saws. I finally took the last say to a pawn shop to get rid of it. Now Im using a sthil 29 with a 20inch bar and its cutting circles around the husky.
DaddyRabbit
Mud Maniac
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/11 06:11:02
Re:Chain saw quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010/09/11 11:24:47
nice saw polaris, looks like its proved its worth. remember to make a video of it in action, so i have another idea of what to get in a little while, since i'm itching to buy another saw, a lighter one this time lol, tho the fleet is still going strong, grandma let me have a few junk saws, well that old hucky next to the 395 was one, chained the gas, cleaned the air filter, put a new 24" oregon bar and chain on it and suprisingly runs like a champ, super fast and mean for light weight, then my grandma bought herself a 353 tho i wouldnt mind adding a stihl to the group