LockedStumbling in water - 2010 500HO

Trail Rider
2010/06/03 08:28:20
My 2010 500 HO (carbed) seems to stumble when in water. It has not shut off, but power gets real low. I have not added any dielectric grease yet. I was gonna start with that. Anything else I should do?
lxman88
Mud Maniac
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/03 10:33:59
spark plug wires thats your problem
Red_Raider
Mud Master
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/03 11:00:21
open up the exhaust.  Too much back pressure, it's drowning.
c4wheeler
Mud Bogger
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/03 11:27:41
i am going to go with the stock exhaust. doing a water wheelie and had to let off and mine choked itself out. I have seen people say if your riding alot of water get and aftermarket pipe for these 500s.
Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/03 12:33:00
Seems like it has done it before the tailpipe even goes under. I only have about 9 hours on the 4 wheeler, so I'll play with it some more to find out when it truelly does it.

I will dielectric grease all the connectors I easily find, dielectric the spark plug/wire, and probaly plug the carb overflow line if I see it. Then I will try it some more.
J_Fred
Respected Member
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/03 13:40:29
I had the same problem, thought it was the exhaust as well.  So I ran dual exhaust snorkles... didn't fix the problem.  I re-dielectric greased everything, checked the seals on my airbox, check for steam issues with my snorkles, re-ran carb ventlines...  It still sputters in deep water, it only started doing it about a year ago. UP to that point I had been to water literally up to my headlight (max depth for stealth snorkles), and for some reason it just randomly decides to stop working. 

That being said, I am just letting you know these are things you should check(carb, spark plug, exhaust), but if you get to the point that I am, well, let me know what you find out.  It is very annoying to have your ATV spit and sputter under water, and then do absolutely fine the second it gets out.
jfulks
Puddle Jumper
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/04 06:17:42
yeah i got a 2010 500h.o. an it did fine for awhile an then out of no where started stumbling in water...i put exhaust on it, snorkled all my vent lines, an even put a catch can for the vent line coming off the bowl of the carb...still does it, i have noticed it fills up my catch can with gas extremely fast when out ridin in water an i dont  think thats normal...i'm gonna tear my carb apart an see if i learn anything  i guess
J_Fred
Respected Member
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/04 16:34:26
I'm at least glad to know I'm not the only one confused by this problem.  It seems to idle and run okay in deep water, but when you try to gas it.. it's a no go.  Almost like it is flooding out.

I just deal with it and bascially don't go much deeper than my racks anymore.  You can still water wheelie fine in rack deep water.
duckhnta70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/06/04 17:50:02
Dang justin i've been waiting on you to call me and tell me to bring my bike so you could fix that!  Mine started doing the same thing randomly even after i dielectric greased EVERYTHING,...From my headlight connectors to my plug wires, anything i could get my hands on.  By looking at it, it only seems like the carbed 500's are doing it.  Go Figure. I will add im running a uni air filter and an open exhaust.  No luck!
Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/22 15:49:26
Well, I think I found the problem. I first tried dielectric grease on spark plug and all electrical connections, that did not seem to help the problem. I then took the seat and side panel off to check for a steam issue, and noticed that it would do it with no steam around. With the seat off I could push down slightly on the stock snorkel and it seemed to clear up!

I went back to the house and cut a little bit off the stock snorkel so that the end was not the same profile as the gas tank cover (make a little more gap). This made the snorkel end closer to flat instead of being so angled. I also cut the foam that kept the snorkel from touching the gas tank and put the piece of foam in the "new" gap on the front side of the snorkel. Took it riding the rest of the day and it didnt stumble once.

I HOPE THAT WAS IT! IT SEEMS LIKE IT WAS!

Maybe this well help the other people having the same issue!
chunks7mm
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/22 15:56:09
didnt have a problem with mine(knocks on wood)
Yogurt
Mud Pro
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/22 18:00:56
I have the same problem might try what you did.  Could you post a picture of the setup you did?
Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/23 19:27:09
This is the foam I cut and moved to the front.

Attached Image(s)

Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/23 19:29:01
This is where I trimed the snorkel.

I hope this helps someone else. Please post up if you have this problem and it fixes it!

Attached Image(s)

Edged dodge
Mud Maniac
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/24 17:59:28
i have this same problem and i have mine snokled exhault greased up like theres no tomarrow and it still does it. iv tried everything. the one thing i found to work was to chock my bike some and that hleps out. but if i idle for a little and then try to go again it will flood out and die. its a pain in the ****.
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/24 20:11:53
Man, I've been fighting the same problem since mine was new about 6 weeks ago.  I live in a very rural area and the thing everyone does on Sunday at 1:00 is go creek riding.  Everyone up here where I live buys Hondas and I thought I'd just get Polaris, thinking it would be no different than a Ford vs Chevy thing.  My Polaris has failed in water everytime I've had it out.  I'm always the last one out of the creek.  Ive made it a little further with every mod I've done, but still haven't made it all the way back at full song.  

What I have discovered  is that if you are gonna be splashing in alot of water, and I'm only talking up a little past the floorboards,  the air box WILL get wet.  I don't care if it's a Honda or not.  They were all draining their airboxes.  But they were still running in the end.  However I think that the Hondas come stock with a type of foam filter where as the Polaris's are paper.  As soon as I got out of the creek I pulled off the filter, which was wet, and it ran fine.   So I ordered a k&n filter with the sleeve to try next time.  

Bossy, I might try that snorkel thing, but I don't really understand why that would work.  Can you explain what's going on there? 

I also took some swimming noodle foam and installed it in front of my filler neck between my plastic and gas tank to block the water from splashing over that.  It worked for quite a while but I still got water in there after awhile.  

I'm so glad that I've finally found a forum where people are having the same problem as I am. 

Hopefully we can figure this out before the end of the summer. 
Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/24 21:44:11
Edged Dodge, I am suprised to here of this trouble even after being snorkeled. I hope this truely eliminates my problem but I won't know for sure until I take it riding more. I might have just had a lucky day after I made this mod.

KTB, I already have a UNI filter on mine... and it had this problem before and after that install. I assumed what was happening on mine is that the snorkel and plastic was so close that it was restricting the air flow to the motor. That is why when I had the seat off and pushed the snorkel down a bit it seemed to clear up... and I did it several times in a row to confirm before I cut my snorkel (even though that little cut cant hurt anything). And my issue was happening before the air filter got wet, it was not even that deep of water/mud and it would do it.

Before this modification, I also tried pulling the choke a little and that helped NONE whatsoever, which makes sense if it was truelly rich already. 

I am curious to see if it stays working for me, and very curious to see if it could possibly help someone else. If there are other reasons for it, lets try and find them because I know it sucks! I have a friend with another 2010 500 HO (made a day before mine) and he, just like me, has had the issue since day 1. If mine stays working ok, I hope to get together with him and see if this helps his at all.
J_Fred
Respected Member
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/24 21:46:53
ktb973,

If you have water in your airbox that is the problem.  It is getting in around the lid or straight through the snorkel.  Use light RTV sealant on the box, and run your snorkles to where you please.

Everyone else,

There are only 3 things that will cause immediate shut off or sputtering under water:
1. spark plug wet
2. carb air intake
3. engine intake

My particular problem was a very small slit in the airbox/carb boot.  New one, and my problem is solved.

To diagnose these problems...

If the spark plug is getting wet, the ATV will simply quit.  No sputter, just an abrupt stop.  To remedy this, di-electric grease the boot.  It only takes a dab.
If your carb is getting water in it, then simply extend it's breather line and plug the overflow (or put a new one way valve in it).
If your engine intake is getting water in it, then water is getting in either through the airbox, the airbox/carb boot, or the carb/engine boot (which is bent and made of stiff rubber on the Sportsmans).

It really cannot be much else causing the ATV to shut off, other than a few fuses getting wet here and there.

It's a simple, pragmatic approach...  list of things to check.   Good luck.
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/25 19:59:24
I suppose it could be getting in around the lid.  I just don't see how.  Of course I'm not sure how it can be coming down the snorkel either.  Also, if it was the snorkel, I figure the belt would be getting wet also, which it is not.  

I'm about ready to wrap the **** box in plastic wrap and go from there...lol
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/25 20:02:50
Btw, when I first got my quad I had an electrical problem in water as well.  Mine was a loose coil and the plug pulled away from my ignition module and that problem was fixed.  I've been fighting the airbox problem ever since.  
J_Fred
Respected Member
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/26 21:29:47
The airbox on the Polaris is poorly designed (i.e. curvy, elongated versus a simple square box).  It loves to let water in.  Sometimes the plug lets water in as well, as it can warp the airbox's drain tube.
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/26 21:47:09
J_Fred,  interesting post.  So do you know any fixes for these design flaws??  

That's my whole issue.  Water in the air box.  If I can't fix it, don't I just need to buy a different quad?  

I was just joking in a previous post about wrapping the airbox in plastic wrap.  But I'm now thinking it's not a bad idea.

Any help would be appreciated.
Red_Raider
Mud Master
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/26 22:33:33
Silicone the lid is your best bet, but if you don't want to deal with the silicone you can use grease.  The grease works you just have to be willing to clean and redo it more often. 
Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/29 22:23:53
Rode mine a few hours yesterday in some water, still no stumbling issue since I made the snorkel adjustment. Will update if something changes.
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/30 19:50:32
Bossy,

Decided to silicone the lid of my airbox and it wouldn't run after that, so I made the same snorkel adjustment you did, it ran fine after that, and had zero problems yesterday.  I must have been sucking air and water around the lid.  

I was so happy to finally get it fixed.  Hardly any water in the airbox after a long ride.  Only bad thing is that I'll have to keep putting silicone around the airbox lid every time I open it.  Small price to pay I guess.  

Thanks for all the help. 

This has been the most helpful forum I've been on.  
Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/30 20:03:43
Glad it helped you.

I have not had an issue with water in the box. Does yours have the oring style gasket still in tact?
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/31 06:03:31
Yes it does, but must not be getting the job done.  I'd like to come up with a thicker gasket instead of using silicone all the time.  Just need to come up with something to make one out of.  
J_Fred
Respected Member
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/31 16:30:09
I would suggest using a type of RTV sealant over silicone.  It makes a bead and gasket, but it isn't quite as sticky as silicone, and is much easier to remove.

I was in water for about 10 minutes straight this weekend at a ride, and had very little water entry, at least until my plug loosened.
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/08/31 18:30:11
Actually it is an RTV sealant that I used. Still a bit messy though.  

On another note... and tell me if I need to start another thread on this...  my Quad always starts hard the first time.  Is there a carb adjustment that I could perform to help this?
southernmudder1
Mud Bogger
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/09/06 23:51:37
http://www.triangleatv.com/Tips-Page.html

this is from triangle atvs website, if youve plugged the carb drain tube, that might be it

Carburetor drain modification:
     There is a drain/overflow tube, which runs from the bottom of the carburetor bowl down to an area near the recoil starter on the rear of the engine. This tube serves as both a carburetor bowl overflow and a drain. There is a small check valve near the end of the tube.
      We have found that this check valve fails to prevent water from entering the carburetor bowl when riding deep water for extended periods. Therefore we plug the drain/overflow tube with a small stick or screw when riding deep water.

Be aware that plugging this tube prevents the carburetor overflow from functioning. This will cause problems in certain situations where carburetor overflow capability is required. Some of these situations include trailering (traveling) or riding in off-camber (tilted/side hill) situations.
      Plugging this tube can cause the air box to fill with fuel when traveling and can actually fill the cylinder up with fuel to a point where the bike will not turn over (crank). We always remove the overflow plug and turn the fuel off when traveling.
      Plugging this tube can also cause the bike to flood out in off-camber (tilted) situations such as when one side of the bike is in a rut and the other side is riding higher out of the ruts. This situation causes the float to allow fuel to run freely into the bowl faster than the engine can burn it. The bike will flood out and will not start until the overflow drain plug is removed and excess fuel is allowed to drain out. Fouling of the spark plug often results from this situation.

Bossy 70
Trail Rider
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/09/07 09:24:12
When I had my problem I tried plugging my overflow line, but it sputtered before and after that change. That was actually the first thing I tried.

Although, since everyone's problem may not be the same, I am sure that may help some people.

I rode again yesterday through a shallow river a lot and never had an issue. I still believe the snorkel mod fixed mine.
The Pit
Mud Bogger
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/09/07 10:26:05
Is the air box the same as the 08 500HO. My wife's is completely stock except for the tires and it will run like a champ in deep water.No snorkels or anything.
ktb973
Grass Hog
Re:Stumbling in water - 2010 500HO 2010/09/07 11:16:12
As far as the hard starting is concerned.  I just have to crank and crank when I start it cold.  Even when it's hot outside.  I know that's a little off topic on this thread.  Just thought there might be an adjustment for that on the carb.  

The Pit,

I'm pretty sure the airbox is the same as an 08 500.  I think mine just wasn't sealing properly.  Probably just bad luck on my part.  

It's all better now as far as water problems.  Did great last time in the creek.

However, mine is going back to the dealer for the 3rd time today.  Something popping in the rear end when I turn a hard right.  Second time I've had rear end problems.