LockedRhino middle drive Blown

Mud Master
2010/03/29 18:44:23
Well pretty sure i blew the Middle drive gear on my rhino at Nats. I wasnt even getting on it put it in gear & pop. My question is what are the chances my cases are still useable? i have been into alot of quads engines but this will be my first Rhino trans I know i will be upgradeing to the billet plate for sure. thanks in advance.
Ball
Administrator
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/30 08:54:17
From all that I have seen if you broke the support, you probably broke the case. If you just broke the shaft, your case will probably survive.
Boomer5
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/30 11:01:44
I have yet to see a gear let loose and not ruin the case.

I had the same happen to mine. Driving down trail, I stopped, gave it some gas and then a horrible sound followed by no movement.

You typically wont be able to tell if the cases are ruined until you open it up.
mud_rider2000
Dirt Monster
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/30 21:03:02
Anybody have an idea of what this would cost to have this fixed. I had a loud pop twice on my rhino at nats and think i lost a gear or something.
bigfriggino
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/30 21:08:24
Well got the motor tore down the bearing support on the middle drive taking out the middle drive gear & the cases to. So now i need some new cases anyone have some laying around for a 660. Mud rider 2000 when mine went it wouldnt pull itself anymore.
Texasmudslinger
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/30 22:43:22
can you put the billet plate in without removing the motor....if you do it while everything is still good???
bigrubicon28
Mud Pro
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/30 23:25:53
^^^^ no the support has to be installed with the cases split 
slider_buck
Trail Rider
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/30 23:35:29
mine went out on my last year. it also broke my case. i had a guy i know weld it up for me. he also welded in some gusset supports to help. i ended up having about $600 in doing mine that way. that was all new gears, gaskets, billet retainer plate, and the welding fee.
mud_rider2000
Dirt Monster
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/31 06:58:50
Bigfriggino- after mine popped twice it got real slugish and lugged down and would hardly pull. Then I was having trouble getting it into gear and taking it out of gear. Any suggestions what it could be??
Boomer5
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/31 10:17:45
Go and find a used Grizzly motor and do that instead. ALOT cheaper! I did that to mine.

Contact BALL. He mite be able to help you.
bigfriggino
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/03/31 12:31:48
yeah thats what im doing i think i found one in jackson it smokes but i am gonna tear it down & put the HD bearing support & change the crank with the Hot Rods kit & a few other goodies.
bigfriggino
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/04/04 14:56:02
ok bought a complete grizz motor going get it tommorrow. Deffinately tearing it down & installing the billet plate. dont wanna grenade those parts again. Also have any of you had crank problems been reading on other frorums that the cranks are weak in stock & should replace with an after market. I dont know anyone who has broke a crank in a rhino alot of blown trans but no cranks.
Ball
Administrator
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/04/04 16:46:14
Never heard of a crank failing on any of the Yamahas. Sounds like someone was trying to justify a Hot Rods crank to his OL. LOL.
bigfriggino
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/04/05 16:53:31
the form i read it on was mostly dune riddin rhinos so i figure the failures of the cranks where from extended full throttle running. I gonna use my stock crank like you said i havnt known anyone that has broke one yet arund here. Knock on wood i wont be the first.
4BAMA1
Administrator
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/04/05 19:12:21
bigfriggino did you do this at Nats.Reason I ask,I think we met in line at the Yamaha parts tent.They were having problems with their computer and we were having to wait.I was the Bald headed guy in front of you.We spoke for a minute.
bigfriggino
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/04/05 19:41:26
yep sure did break it at nats & i remember talkin with you at the yamaha tent man. I just drove to brookhaven today to pick up my motor from a guy on here. gonna split the cases & put the billet plate in for sure dont wanna break it again lol. It was nice to meet  you man.
mcolectd
Mud Bogger
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/04/06 18:25:17
Hey leme know where you get your billet plate. I'm bout to have to tear into mine too and gonna go ahead and upgrade that while I'm in there
bigfriggino
Mud Master
Re:Rhino middle drive Blown 2010/04/06 20:11:26
the one i ordered is made by benchmark performance & i bought it off e-bay heres the link   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320347506024&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT         good luck with your tear down i bought a whole new engine for mine but it doesnt sound like your middle drive broke if it still moves in forward & doesnt make noise.