LockedPolaris nightmare. Need some advice

Grass Hog
2010/02/26 22:18:48
I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. over 300 hours and 4500 miles. The color if the quad needs to be yellow because i think i have a lemon....but anyway, heres the problem.

Since we first got the quad we have had an intermittent problem that makes me wonder why i bought another polaris product. Anyway, what seems to happen is the machine looses a cylinder, spits, sputters, pops thru the airbox, backfires, wont idle, and sometimes wont even start. On a recent ride, i was able to cover up the intake tube, and the idle smoothed out, and it seemed to rev up fine! Take my hand off of it and it was lucky to hold a rpm. I can have the throttle wide open, and it pops thru the airbox and is lucky if the tach reads over 1300 rpm. But every time this has happened...we have let the quad sit for 5-10 minutes- enough for more polaris jokes, f bombs, and a snack, and she starts right up just like nothing ever happened!

Take this into consideration:

Code 41 and 42 have been comin and going for the first year. Taken the bike into the dealer with our ext warranty and they dont know whats wrong with it. Time after time, they say they cant re create the problem.  They replaced the tbap connector wires. Bike ran great for 5-6 rides then issue came back. This was about a year ago, and we've been "dealing" with the problem since then.

2 weeks ago, the dealer found what was to be our problem! 3 inches below the wires that were cut a year ago, the wires rubbed thru the plastic coating and were shorting out. The dealer ashured us that he would never see us again because the bike would run brand new. Well it does seem to run better and have a little more et up and go, but 5 hours into my last ride the same problem came back.  It happend 3 times in the 10 hour ride.

Latley, it seems to happen when its in low range, or speed under 15 mph, rock crawling, slow trail riding. But i can slide around corners, ride it hard, floor it on every straight away, and it never skips a beat.

Ive spent the past 2 nights on this site reading how the fuel could be boiling, or how there may be a vapor lock, which is kind of what i refer to as the problem. We have taken the tank off, replced the in line fuel filter, and put some of that reflective heat tape on the bottom side of the gas tank. When i was reading about the fuel pump, one thing made my situation a little different. Normaly, when you turn the key on, the fuel pump primes its self. When my bike "acts up" meaning its starting to spit and sputter, and i turn they key on, the fuel pump noise sounds week and is on for a little longer, like its laboring. The dealer said the fuel pressure is "acceptable" but didnt give me a number. Now to me, it's clear that the psi is acceptable because the bike is running fine, but when it starts to spit and sputter, is when i think the fuel pressure drops. Right? Argue with me on this...

Sorry for writing a book, im sure i forgot a few things aswell, but i thouht id pick some mroe brains and try and get the ball rolling to fix this.

sfd_324
Mud Pro
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/26 22:44:38
Best i can remember fuel pressure should be 39.....
anything less than that and it wont run right.

the back firing through the airbox and covering up some of the intake sounds like she is too lean (not enough fuel)... thats why she smoothed out when you covered up part of the intake.

Check fuel pressure and check to see if there was a recall on re-flashing the ecm..
post edited by sfd_324 - 2010/02/26 22:45:41
Blambert
Mud Monster
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/26 23:31:01
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-polaris-atv-sportsman-700-efi-a06mh68aq/o/m5557

try number 29 on the diagram its the t-map sensor i had a 700 do the same as what u was talking about and thats what the problem was.
FreddyB.
Mud Monster
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 01:22:54
Might also get a diagnosis on the Throttle Position Sensor.
It could be out of calibration or bad and it will confuse the computer on the fuel/air mixture
zillad3004x4
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 01:29:45
Could also be a hole or small slit or cut in the boot going from the airbox to throttle body. It could be sealing up sometimes and other times its not sealing. It would also explain working when you romp down on it as it would need alot of air to mix with alot of fuel. and a small hole in the boot wouldnt really matter when sucking alot of air. Check the boot. My rzr has done that before and it was the boot had slipped off the throttle body. popped it back on, tightened it up, and never had another problem...
chrisw700
Mud Pro
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 08:01:52
i can fix the prob for you, its very simple, you havent replaced the actual sensor on the boot goin from the airbox to the throttle body, buy a new sensor, new wiring pigtail, eventhough its been replaced buy a new one so its all new, clean your throttle body, and have your tps sensor remapped, take your throttle body off and take it to the dealor and tell them u want it remapped they will know what you mean, once you do all of those things it will be gone. once you replace the sensor and the pigtail it will be gone, but go ahead and clean and remap your throttle body, it will run better. i have had this problem happen twice and both times a bought a new sensor and wiring pigtail and it was gone, i have an 06 700 efi. dont down a polaris product because you havent been able to fix a problem, you have 4500 miles on the bike, i cant believe thats the only wiring problem you have had.
X_Da_C
Grass Hog
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 15:17:12
Blambert

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-polaris-atv-sportsman-700-efi-a06mh68aq/o/m5557

try number 29 on the diagram its the t-map sensor i had a 700 do the same as what u was talking about and thats what the problem was.

Could you narrow the selection down? What category is it under? Electrical?

chrisw700

i can fix the prob for you, its very simple, you havent replaced the actual sensor on the boot goin from the airbox to the throttle body, buy a new sensor, new wiring pigtail, eventhough its been replaced buy a new one so its all new, clean your throttle body, and have your tps sensor remapped, take your throttle body off and take it to the dealor and tell them u want it remapped they will know what you mean, once you do all of those things it will be gone. once you replace the sensor and the pigtail it will be gone, but go ahead and clean and remap your throttle body, it will run better. i have had this problem happen twice and both times a bought a new sensor and wiring pigtail and it was gone, i have an 06 700 efi. dont down a polaris product because you havent been able to fix a problem, you have 4500 miles on the bike, i cant believe thats the only wiring problem you have had.

The new pigtail that they put on is re routed differently and is alot longer, also its in a black wire protector tube. I will contact the dealer on tuesday to see how they made out. I will see what he says and try and get them to replace the actual sensor. Tps sensor....i think i had a code for that, 45, come up in thr past 4 months but went away pretty quick. When i dropped it off this time, he did mention something about lookin into the TPS for a possible cause. Could you explain re-mappin the tps?

Its not the only wiring problem ive delt with, but its been the major one. I've had problems starting, grinding noises, cables on the startor bein loose, etc. Now it seems the fuel diagram on the spedo has a short in it and dissapears every one and awhile too.

zillad3004x4

Could also be a hole or small slit or cut in the boot going from the airbox to throttle body. It could be sealing up sometimes and other times its not sealing. It would also explain working when you romp down on it as it would need alot of air to mix with alot of fuel. and a small hole in the boot wouldnt really matter when sucking alot of air. Check the boot. My rzr has done that before and it was the boot had slipped off the throttle body. popped it back on, tightened it up, and never had another problem...

That makes sense, logically speaking. When the i get the quad back i will take it apart and check the boots. When i got it back from a different dealer who pulled the engine apart and had it in pieces( Don't ask WHY they did it......) They did not have ANY of the boots tight. Infact, i could post up a picture that would make you guys sick of how dirty the throttle body was. I'm glad i caught it when i did.

Elindio42
Grass Hog
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 19:08:20
Are you using ethanol? It sounds like you had the problems when the engine was hot. Ethanol has alcohol in it and it will vaporize when it gets too hot. I had a friend with a 700 Suzuki that acted the same for several years. Dealer after dealer worked on it under extended warranty with no joy. Finally a dealer told him to quit using ethanol and he hasn't had a problem since.
Elindio42
Grass Hog
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 19:18:04
I also ran into a guy in the mountains sitting on his 2005 Sportsman 500(carb model). He was waiting for it to cool off so it would run again. He also had spent numerous hours in the shop trying to get it right, again no joy. I didn't ask him if he was using ethanol. I also know some serious sport quad dune climbers that absolutely claim that ethanol is bad for your machine.
X_Da_C
Grass Hog
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 20:13:20
Nope, i dont. I use regular 87 unleaded, and its very rare that i use the same station to fill up.
blackale
Puddle Jumper
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/27 21:35:00
Hey There X_DA_C,
I would recommend that you check your ECM and Power Control Module, as the 2006 bikes have an issue, as the power module allows more than the 13 volts maximum the ECM can handle, and the bike start back firing, and doing all sorts of interesting things. I have a 2006 500 EFI which I spent hours and hours, and hundreds of dollars, trying to fix / analyze. The real kicker is that, Polaris industries has known about the issue, even had revised parts released, but refuses to cover my bike, as it has been out of warranty. I own three Polaris ATV's, I purchased them from my local dealer who wants to sell me (upgrade to) the new Sportsman XP atv, but they can not seem to help me out as this low mileage bike is past it's warranty period, and they want over 1100 dollars to replace the malfunctioning ECM and Power Control Module.  I hate to think after all my years of support that I can not buy another Polaris, but I think they have finally lost my support backing and most importantly the color of my MONEY!!!!.  All the best to you, GOOD luck with your bike.

BlackDog

chrisw700
Mud Pro
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/28 10:37:50
im not sure what the remapping does, i just know what kind of problems can occur when your tps or tmap sensor are out. most dealors say the sensor never goes bad but that is bs. like i said ive replaced two tmaps sensors, both times buying the new wire pigtail and sensor, and it is fixed. if your throwing codes 45 and or 41 then thats your problem, thats what mine did. if u replace those two things and it still does it for some odd reason then pull your throttle body and have it remapped.
SouthTexSportsman
Dirt Monster
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/02/28 18:49:51
I just took my 08 500 in for very exact problams. Mine was throughing several codes and they said it was due to the last time I took it in the codes were not cleared, so they cleared them and now they say no more codes. I had replaced the tps and they said it was out of alignment and said that my fuel pressure was only 23 psi. so they are putting on a new tank. So as soon as I get it back I will see if that fixes the problam. Hope it does for a $450 tank.
Jncampbe
Puddle Jumper
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/03/08 14:53:03
HI guys, I am having the same problem on my 2004 700 twin efi but i am not receiving any codes.  My pressure is dropping to around 20 psi.  I have replaced the fuel pump but still get a lose of power after the wheeler heats up.  Its not vapor locking. Any suggestions?
qdw2008
Mud Pro
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/03/09 13:43:41
X_Da_C 

When i was reading about the fuel pump, one thing made my situation a little different. Normaly, when you turn the key on, the fuel pump primes its self. When my bike "acts up" meaning its starting to spit and sputter, and i turn they key on, the fuel pump noise sounds week and is on for a little longer, like its laboring. 

make sure your tank has no trash in it and also see if your fuel level makes a difference
PRAIRIEMAN
Mud Master
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/03/11 20:57:52
My 2005 is doing something like this as well, it wont crank sometimes. I pat the gas while cranking and it backfires BAD. Then the other day it cranks but it is skipping. I ride it around and it clears up and runs like a raped ape, could my plugs be fouling out? I did notice that I can pull the throttle cable gently and it will act up as well.
Jomax
Trail Rider
Re:Polaris nightmare. Need some advice 2010/03/12 20:18:55
I'm not sure if this applies to you but  I had some issues with mine on the wiring, Polaris didn't tie up the wires  where they went over the rad to the ecm, they had worn thru and were shorting out on the rad,, just a idea, good luck on your repair!