Helpful ReplyLockedNeed help with clutch removal

Trail Rider
2009/12/26 11:52:45
Ok i have broke a piece off my clutch so i need to remove it. I got a clutch puller. So i put the clutch puller in the hole and i stuck a metal rod into the clutch so it wouldn't spin (i need a new clutch so i'm not worried about damaging it). So i start tightening it and i think someone said you need a impact gun well i don't have one. So i start tightening the bolt and i finally hear the pop well it wasn't the pop i was looking for. what happen was i got the front part of my drive clutch off but the back part is still on and if i try to put the front part back on it will not tighten up enough so i am left with just the front part of the drive clutch on and i need to get the back part off. Does anyone know what i can do. I am giving it to my younger brother as a late Christmas present so we can ride together. I need HELP!!!
SavageOnAPoPo
Trail Rider
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 13:38:52
Please Someone

HIGHOCTANE
Super Swamper
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 13:54:36

Did the clutch shaft break off?  We need a picture of the latest damage to see what you are looking at.
post edited by HIGHOCTANE - 2009/12/26 13:55:59
SavageOnAPoPo
Trail Rider
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 13:55:49
no it did not the cover plate broke when i tried using a 3 jaw puller

HIGHOCTANE
Super Swamper
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 13:57:19
I know that...but then you tried the correct puller and the outter sheave came off right?
SavageOnAPoPo
Trail Rider
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 14:00:43
When i used the correct puller the sliding sheave unscrewed from the fixed sheave, and now the fixed sheave is still on the shaft and the sliding sheave is sitting on a workbench. I hope that makes sense.
HIGHOCTANE
Super Swamper
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 14:00:48
Been a while since I tore down a popo primary clutch but IICR the only way th outter sheave can come off without the inner is if the spider is screwed off the clutch shaft(or pulled off destroying the threads) or the clutch shaft breaks??
SavageOnAPoPo
Trail Rider
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 14:04:46
The threads are fine on both the fixed and sliding sheaves. What happen was i stuck a bar through the clutch to hold it in place. When i started to tighten the puller the fixed sheave i guess turned and the sliding sheave did not. Since that happened the sliding sheave unscrewed from the fixed sheave. So yes i believe that the spider unscrewed from the fixed sheave shaft.
post edited by SavageOnAPoPo - 2009/12/26 14:05:54
HIGHOCTANE
Super Swamper
☄ Helpful
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 14:15:32
SavageOnAPoPo

The threads are fine on both the fixed and sliding sheaves. What happen was i stuck a bar through the clutch to hold it in place. When i started to tighten the puller the fixed sheave i guess turned and the sliding sheave did not. Since that happened the sliding sheave unscrewed from the fixed sheave. So yes i believe that the spider unscrewed from the fixed sheave shaft.

Doesn't the puller thread into the shaft,which is part of the inner sheave,like I said been awhile. So I guess the problem you have now is holding the inner sheave from turning? If it is trashed anyway I would probably try carefull drilling the inner sheave so you rig up a bolt or something and use a bar between the bolt and the clutch shaft...just be careful you don' drill through the sheave into the engine lol.
You DONT need an impact IMO...tighten the puller good and tight and tap the end with a hammer,not too hard just some light taps,then it should loosen a little,tighten and repeat until it comes off.
SavageOnAPoPo
Trail Rider
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 15:34:18
Thank you i will try that do you think i need to make any reference marks, so when i get my new clutch it will be all aligned?
Bigdog800EFI
Mud Pro
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 16:05:58
New clucth should be balance to its self, won't matter on the machine
oliphant
Mud Slinger
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 16:06:01
You don't need a referance mark for that, that is why your primary is balanced.  You will have to torque the new primary on to 50 ftlbs  NO MORE THEN THAT!  So once you get the old one off you will put the new one on put the center bolt back in & torque it and you are done with the primary.  IF it is a complete primary!
post edited by oliphant - 2009/12/26 16:07:08
SavageOnAPoPo
Trail Rider
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 16:46:58
Well I'm buying a clutch off ebay. So really i will be fine if i remove the old one, then install the new one.
oliphant
Mud Slinger
Re:Need help with clutch removal 2009/12/26 17:23:17
YES, you will be fine!