LockedHow long till you file a missing person report and should I?

Mud Pro
2009/11/10 20:28:34
I have a young guy that works for me who is a great outstanding guy. Hes just has a rough past because of a really screwed up family. Hes never missed a day of work in a year. Hes never not called to let me know whats up so fourth. He recently moved in with his g/f family to get out of his home. Well he didnt show up today to work. I called his family and they where eaither high or drunk and did not care. I called his g/f no answer. They went bowling with one of my other employess last night and that the last any one has heard of them? Neither have responded to calls or texts. Normally Im not alarmed if some one misses a day but its not like him to do this? Any suggestions would be great.

TXRIDER
Grass Hog
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 20:42:16
how old is he?  In TX it is usually 24 HRS.. if they are an adult usually not much you can do
localfiremedic
Outlaw Extremist
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 20:45:06
hhmmm... I might at least call the authorities and let them know your situation and see if you can file one yet.  Probably the best thing to do.  Best of luck.  Hope they're fine
merco
Mud Slinger
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 20:46:24
idk, but its nice that you care
rockstar007
Trail Rider
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 20:50:08
If you do not report & something is wrong ,well you're gonna have to live with (what if?)

if you do report & he's just knocking off a piece,you're gonna feel like a idiot.

good luck on your decision

i'd say go with your first instinct,
BigBill
Trail Rider
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 20:59:21
i agree with rockstar.
localfiremedic
Outlaw Extremist
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 20:59:43
better to feel dumb and them be fine, than to do nothing and something be wrong.  X2 on you caring.  must be a pretty good boss
gizzlyking0305
Super Swamper
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 21:16:14
i would call the authorities heck they my both be in jail for something you never know or got in an accident and be at the hospital  and if not you can go ahead and file a report
switzomatic
Mud Master
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 21:22:33
Better safe than sorry. Go  to vinelink.com and you may be able to see if he is in jail. Wouldn't hurt to call local law enforcement and see what the protocol is for filing a report. In most states, if he's an adult, it's 72 hours. I'd rather feel like an ****(if he is just out getting some) than carry the burden around that I could've helped if something bad happened.

backinblack700
Super Swamper
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 21:23:26
gizzlyking0305

i would call the authorities heck they my both be in jail for something you never know or got in an accident and be at the hospital  and if not you can go ahead and file a report

probus
Outlaw Extremist
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 21:24:21
i am pretty sure the family has to file the report, but i may be wrong.

sure hope they are ok, have you not been able to get in touch with any of the girlfriends family either?
moto92
Mud Master
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 21:32:56
it wouldnt hurt to say something.  the authorities may already know something, like if there was a car accident. i know if i was laid up in a hospital bed it would make me feel better to know someone cared, especially if my own family didnt.
probus
Outlaw Extremist
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 21:36:59
yes i would deffinately call the police and see if they know anything, but i dont think they will let you file a report.
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/10 22:10:11
yeah man, better safe then sorry. like rockstar said, youll always be living with " what if
" , if something is wrong. you must be a darn good boss. haha
2008BeastBrute750
Mud Bogger
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 06:12:36
IM WITH ROCKSTAR ON THIS ONE.... WHAT IF????
sscard
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 08:29:50
did he show up today?
67txcoupe
Super Swamper
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 09:20:14
I've been through this a couple times with employees......both times they were in jail. My wife just went through this with one of her employees and same thing.....jail.

Rough pasts have a tendancy to bite you in the rear (old warrants, unpaid tickets, etc). I personally had this happen a long time ago. Call the local police and ask.....never hurts.

Just remember if it's something from his past it may not clearly reflect the person he is now.
85honda
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 14:23:40
The guy is 20 years old. I called the family one more time and again they could care less. They asked if he had anything left at work?? I then called my police buddy. I havnt heard anything yet.
lilbigtonka
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 18:28:30
wow thats kinda scary if he is really good about showing up or calling, lets hope he was just playing hooky and lost his phone
03Foreman450ES
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 19:42:37
It's not your job to babysit him.

Hire someone in his place and move on.
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 20:56:24
03foreman- what if (god forbid) he had a car wreck and was injured, or in a hospital in another town but didnt know who he was? how would you feel if this burden was layed on you?? I would file a missing person report. If one of my trusted employes didnt show up or call i would be very worried....
1bigforeman
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 21:19:26
I agree with most of the rest. If you know he has a background of deadbeats around him and he's actually making something out of himself then he would appreciate the effort on your part and you will feel better about yourself for trying. Call and see what the police can tell you. If they say nothing and won't do nothing, at least you can say you put forth the effort for someone that could use it.
03Foreman450ES
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 21:29:00
zillad3004x4

03foreman- what if (god forbid) he had a car wreck and was injured, or in a hospital in another town but didnt know who he was? how would you feel if this burden was layed on you?? I would file a missing person report. If one of my trusted employes didnt show up or call i would be very worried....

It wouldn't be my burden nor it it 85honda's.  The kid probably ran off with his old lady somewhere.  It sounds like he is a big boy.  He should be able to take care of himself.

probus
Outlaw Extremist
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/11 21:38:38
maybe you can get online and look at you local jail inmates. we found one of our guys on there one day after he didnt come in. most of your bigger jails have an inmate look up. just a thought.
85honda
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 20:38:43
I already replaced him the day he didnt show up. I have to have guys. He contacted me by text message tonight saying he doesnt have a car to get to work and thanks me for all ive done. Then call hes crew chief saying I fired him. I dont know whats up but dont care. He shoulda called. I would have felt bad if I didnt look into but now feal stupid. I swear some  type of people dont change. I should have known from the start. This guy suprised me though.
moto92
Mud Master
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 21:47:33
hey man you did what was right, sounds like his problems just run in the family
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 21:57:16
dont feel stupid man, for all you know he could have been dead or in jail... better safe than sorry.

03foreman- i cant help but wonder if you are as tough and errogant in real life as your are with a keyboard in front of you.
Joe T
Mud Master
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 22:13:52
He probably said he was fired and doesn't have a car so he can file unemployment...  Pretty standard from what I understand.
03Foreman450ES
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 22:44:39
The majority of the time...yes.

I wouldn't call it arrogance.  I'm just very straighforward and to the point.  I don't like to sugar-coat anything.
post edited by 03Foreman450ES - 2009/11/12 22:47:09
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 23:10:16
There is a differnce in sugarcoating and thinking logically.
03Foreman450ES
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 23:39:48
Please explain how my line of thinking was illogical.
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/12 23:58:13
say you were going to pick up some tires you just bought 3 hrs from home, had a wreck, were put in the hospital with a bump on your head and didnt know who you were, or where you were or what you were doing there. Say that happend on a sunday. you are SUPPOSED to be at work monday morning at 7 am for the job that you havent missed a day in 2 years. I would hope my boss would have the gracious state of mind to think about me and check on me. not saying that this is always the case, its just like rockstar said with the what if...
toodeep
Outlaw
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 00:15:08
Since when has it been the employer's responsibility to keep up to date with what their employees are doing. It is the employees responsibility to have some one report in for them if they can not. There is enough to do with running a business that you don't need to be calling around looking for your employee.
Joe T
Mud Master
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 10:04:47
Well like Zillad said sometimes it's best if the employer checks in.  My first job out of college I was in a new town.  Had a meeting across town that I didnt' let my administrative assistant know about, she freaked out and called everyone, thought I got into a wreck or worse when I didn't show up that morning.  It was nice knowing my co workers were keeping an eye on me, I had just been there maybe a month so I didn't have anyone they could call locally really.
sscard
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 10:07:09
Joe T

He probably said he was fired and doesn't have a car so he can file unemployment...  Pretty standard from what I understand.

doesnt work that way in texas at least
if you file for unemployment they send a letter to your past employer and he must fill out termination paperwork
no showing and losing your job does not make you eligible for unemployment unless you are eligable from a previous employer, ie, he worked for honda 85 for a month but the previous month was laid off from a job of over a year
then he could get it but not on honda 85s dime
unemployment cost your past employer money
they will fight it if the termination was for a reasonable cause and not pay
Joe T
Mud Master
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 10:32:39
I'm curious as to how to meet the requirments for unemployment from a previous employer?  I don't understand how that's fair or even possible.

Not trying to argue, just think it's kinda crappy.
post edited by Joe T - 2009/11/13 10:34:21
sscard
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 10:39:34
if you no show for work
you are not eligible for unemployment
if you get laid off you are
the system is paid for by your employer through unemployment insurance that they are forced to pay
if you are terminated for a reason such as theft etc you are not eligable, unemployment if not for getting fired
if your a lazy **** and you get fired for monday itis as this idiot obviously had, then you get fired and then dont get to sit on the dol for free for months and months
I have had it filed on me multiple times
I only paid it when i sold my company and the new one did not take all of the employees, but at that point, it was out of my hands and due to me not being an "employer" any longer, I never paid the inflated rates that come from people filing and winning on your company
it is an insurance policy just like your car insurance, if you use it, it goes through the roof on the rates
but you are forced to pay it as an employer, and they will respond to the letter to keep rates from going up due to a lazy ex employee
Shadowmaker
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 15:10:54
I had an employee one time who I bent over backwards to help.  His wife had left, custody battle, child support, blah blah blah.  He had an ear infection that kept him out of work for 2 wks but the doctors note didnt excuse it.  Kept him anyways.  He came back to work and his balance was still off some.

I sent him out into the warehouse to get something and he went missing.  I spent 2 hrs searching the plant for him.  (at the time our warehouse was a mess and i was worreid something fell on him or he had passed out, etc.)  I go in the office and theres a message on the phone.  Its him, he left that morning when i sent him to the warehouse.  The message said "thanks for all you ve done, I got custody of my daughter, I wont be back."   At least be man enough to tell me face to face.

Every employee with the exception of 1, yes 1, that I had the chance to get rid of and didnt, came back to bite me on the hind end.  
sscard
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 15:22:57
your preaching to the choir
I had one that had kids with three different women, some were x wives some were baby mommas
he got behind on child support, after i had loaned him money for divorce #3 and needed cash to stay out of prison
he was my best electrician, what do i do?
Loan him the money, what does he do, quit and dissapear
i came into the shop on monday and my truck that he drove home was sitting in the shop with a note
Found a better job
little sob still owes me money
he ruined it for the rest of em, and I got so sick of being a baby sitter, bail bondsman, loan officer, child support accountant, that I sold my company
and I told the new owner who to keep and who to lay off
that was the longest 8 years of my life
good riddance to my company
im done when i leave work and ill see it again when i come back, no more long late nights worrying about money and work and idiot employees
employees thing you owe them something more than a paycheck

Im done ranting, sorry
but employees are the reason i got rid of it, the money was awesome, but so was the money i sold it for, and i got to sleep in the next day lol
03Foreman450ES
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 18:10:40
zillad3004x4

say you were going to pick up some tires you just bought 3 hrs from home, had a wreck, were put in the hospital with a bump on your head and didnt know who you were, or where you were or what you were doing there. Say that happend on a sunday. you are SUPPOSED to be at work monday morning at 7 am for the job that you havent missed a day in 2 years. I would hope my boss would have the gracious state of mind to think about me and check on me. not saying that this is always the case, its just like rockstar said with the what if...

They would have looked at my id in my wallet and get in touch with my wife.  My wife would have then called my work.

It's not your employer's job to babysit for anyone!

Just look at how this situation turned out. 

Shadowmaker
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 21:16:27
I have to agree with 03 foreman.  12+ yrs of supervision does something to you.  I never tried to learn anyones name for at least 6 months. If I remembered it fine, it not, so what.  It took a long time to realize certain things.  One of them, I m at work to make money, not make friends.  If friends come out of it, fine, if not, I m not losing any sleep.

I meet my so called best friend at work, who was more like a brother at times.  When I started getting stabbed in the back, guess who was holding the knife?

I have to admit there are exceptions.  But most of the time, its just not the case.
85honda
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/13 21:25:24
See i completly agree with 03 forman. Its not the employers place. i have other guys 3 actully that if they didnt show up so what who cares. they eaither are drunk or dont want to work or even jail. The ONLY reason I was wondering about this guy was he had been there a year and he never gave me problems. I mean just last weekend I took him to my farm where we ate steaks and shrimp for 3 nights. I took him on his first deer hunt etc. I also gave him about 60lbs of wild hog I killed 1st of the month and the deer meat from the deer i killed 2 weekends ago. So I really didnt think this guy would do that. I guess the only reason im mad now is. I put all that meat in my $150.00 brand new cooler that he still has it.
Shadowmaker
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/14 04:36:23
85honda

See i completly agree with 03 forman. Its not the employers place. i have other guys 3 actully that if they didnt show up so what who cares. they eaither are drunk or dont want to work or even jail. The ONLY reason I was wondering about this guy was he had been there a year and he never gave me problems. I mean just last weekend I took him to my farm where we ate steaks and shrimp for 3 nights. I took him on his first deer hunt etc. I also gave him about 60lbs of wild hog I killed 1st of the month and the deer meat from the deer i killed 2 weekends ago. So I really didnt think this guy would do that. I guess the only reason im mad now is. I put all that meat in my $150.00 brand new cooler that he still has it.

Dont be mad at yourself, it happens.  The bad thing is, it actualy ruins it for the one person who may be decent.
onebadrubi
Outlaw
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/14 11:44:27
it is not an employers job to keep tabs on you after you punch out!  If you cant make it by punch in time, its time to try a new guy!  Its a tough market and getting tougher every day, I personally dont have time to deal with this crap!  And will tell you to hit the road.  Obviously something was more important!

Being in a hospital for an accident is however an excused abscense.  So lets just hope you have someone close enough to you that will know to contact your employer if you can do so in a timely manner.
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/14 12:47:04
what if you had lost your id the day before? I guess no one else sees how I am looking at this. So forget it. I understand that yall think its not the employers responsibilty ITS NOT. BUT what if somethinghappend to YOU  that YOU didnt make it to work after not missinga day for 2 years? would you want someone to be concerned about you or would you hope your employer doesnt give a rats butt about you not being at work cuz something is drasticaly wrong?
03Foreman450ES
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/14 13:32:00
What if..what if...what if

It's a simple concept.  Your employer is not your babysitter.  It's not your employers job to WASTE the police's time by file a missing persons report when that person is not really missing.

ArkMudKat
Mud Master
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/14 14:39:21
Its not illegal for a person over the age of 18 to be missing, you dont have to be family to file a missing persons claim, if hes found the officer should report back to the office that filed the claim if hes ok or not.. Its all u can usually do.
85honda
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/14 18:26:35
He filed umemplyment also. Got the letter today. Said I fired him for no reason. Go figure. He want get wich is the good thing cuss I dont want to pay for it.
Shadowmaker
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/14 21:03:52
85honda

He filed umemplyment also. Got the letter today. Said I fired him for no reason. Go figure. He want get wich is the good thing cuss I dont want to pay for it.

I had one quit on me one time and I was out of the country.  YES i was out of the country.  Brought the letter to the other supervisor and then filed for unemployment.  He claimed he couldnt do the job bc of a bad knee and I wouldnt get someone to carry material up the steps for him. 

I understand where you coming from about a good employee.  As you can see the original poster was concerned.  And if he had been hurt or gone missing, thats another story.  If he had been in an accident and was in the hospital, I m sure he couldve maybe gotta his job back.   BUT he just didnt show up.
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 01:34:49
BUT there was no way to know the circumstances before hand. for as much as 85honda knew when he made the post the guy could have been dead. You shouldnt always assume someone is a piece of crap just because they didnt show up for work after not missing a day in a year. In this case I was proven wrong after we found out what had happend. it was a 50 50 chance wether he was sick or just gone.
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 02:54:48
zillad3004x4

BUT there was no way to know the circumstances before hand. for as much as 85honda knew when he made the post the guy could have been dead. You shouldnt always assume someone is a piece of crap just because they didnt show up for work after not missing a day in a year. In this case I was proven wrong after we found out what had happend. it was a 50 50 chance wether he was sick or just gone.

i bet you voted for obama because he might lose lmao^^^^^^^^^^
85honda
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 07:04:46
zillad I agree with you. If my crew chief did not show up for a day with no respince I would be worried about him. All the labor guys I have EXCEPT this one guy I wouldnt think twice. Its the employers decsion whether to look into it or not. I just hate trash. but I have delt with this since day one and will deal with this till i can get large enough to have someone else deal with it.
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 12:39:17
bama foreman- that makes no sense at all and is completly irrelevant to the topic. And no i didnt vote for obama.

85honda-glad you see what Im talking about now. the reason I fought my point was because I was running a dozer for a company about this time last year, I had a flat tire on my way to the yard one morning, didnt have a spare and no phone service. I was in the middle of no where. I had never been late or missed a day, also worked all holidays when noone else would. My super realized I hadnt gotten fuel that morning and called me. When he couldnt get ahold of me he was headed to my house to check on me when he passed me walking down the road. just some food for thought. 03foreman, if you would have been i my shoes, would you have liked for your boss to give a crap if you were ok or not?
03Foreman450ES
Respected Member
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 13:15:40
Absolutely...

It's your fault you were late for work.  Who doesn't keep a spare?  It's called responsibility!
zillad3004x4
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 13:50:35
did I ever say it wasnt my fault that I was late for work? Im saying that My boss was concerned that one of his best employees was not there like I had always been. So he knew something wasnt right. but ya know 03foreman, no matter how much I argue this point you are never going to admit that there IS two sides to this and that hondestly neither one of us is more correct than the other.
onebadrubi
Outlaw
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 16:17:41
Zilla, I see and can aggree with what you are saying.  As have been a manager/owner....  If someone that has been loyal to me and good to the company and they do not show up, i will extend myself the best I can as in phone calls to available people and phone numbers I have on file.  Once that avenue is up unless I get something extremely fishy out of that i will let it go.  My duty, career, paycheck, and responsibility is to have that seat filled, that task finished, and the end user/customer's item or work done or in their hands by the recommended time.  If you do not show up for work I already have plans to make it a day or two without you or maybe one other individual showing up (heck we all get sick or have personal days to take off).  But a no show and no call for an ENTIRE business day after a call to your family and noting came up from their.  In this situation with the info provided like 85honda did I will be a stickler and say I woudl respond and act more like 03foreman. 

Their are always extenuating if's and circumstances that would make me, 85honda, or any other person respond in different manners or take different actions. 
85honda
Mud Pro
Re:How long till you file a missing person report and should I? 2009/11/15 18:51:30
Well put. Also everyone is right on saying it depends on the employe and situation