LockedKing quad cutting out

Mud Pro
2009/11/08 17:46:30
I was riding my King Quad 750 today and it was running great. Then if you wacked the throttel really quick it would start to cut out. I stoped left it set for a few mins and turned the key on and off a few times and it ran good for another 2 miles then it started cutting out again. On my way home it started cutting out again and it just kept getting worse and it got to the point were it would completly shut itself off. I had to stop for a few mins let it set and turn the key on and off a few times everytime it did this and it would usually run ok. I got home and cleaned the air filter it was pretty dirty. Now i am wondering what the problem is i am thinking it is maybe the fuel pump going bad but the quad on has 1900 miles on it and my buddy said maybe the fuel filter. I have a HMF pipe and UNI filter and i have been running the pipe for a year now and the filter for about 4 months and everytime i did a plug check it was burning fine. So that is why i never got a power a commander or anything like that.
jrm014
Mud Slinger
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/08 18:20:02
the fuel check valve the is right above the back left tire.....nyrocatv has a good tech tips on this
00Boss
Mud Monster
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/08 19:59:34
were you riding in some water? if so your spark plug is a little wet.  Dielectric grease the entire bike.

Thumper700
Mud Monster
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/08 20:20:04
00Boss

were you riding in some water? if so your spark plug is a little wet.  Dielectric grease the entire bike.

X2 on this post.  I just did a little mud riding with mine the other day, and it acted the same way.  When I got it home, I pulled off the plug wire and muddy water ran out of the boot.  No wonder it didn't run worth a hoot.  I filled the boot with dielectric grease and it purrs like a kitten, or roars like a lion. 
BEAST STATUS
Mud Monster
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/08 20:46:29
well i have had the same problem when my bike was new! took it to the dealer and they said it was the stater assembly! replaced it and now it runs f=great! hope this help !
BigAl270B
Mud Maniac
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/09 08:02:46
mine does almost the same thing, when just crusing around at around 15 mph it is like it is just running out of fuel. It seems to worse when i clean my K&N air filter, and it is hardly noticable with the stock filter in. so if u are running an exaust with out a programer I could see why it might just shut off, I would say that it is just hitting a lean spot in the factory programing. Which is what my local suzuki shop told me is most likely happening
racinjason
Mud Master
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/09 11:55:45
00Boss

x3 doesnt matter if this fixes it or not, it needs to be done. mine did it too, till the grease went in.
bluegrizzly
Mud Pro
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/09 22:38:28
jrm014

the fuel check valve the is right above the back left tire.....nyrocatv has a good tech tips on this

Alittle more info on this please.

As far as the spark plug thing i had it happen to me once i started to think about that today but i wasn't riding in and mud or water before this happened. The weekend before it was really muddy out and i took it to work on tuesday and sprayed it off with the power washer and i used the hot water setting. I left the it in my heated basement all week till Sunday. It just doesn't make seense that it would run great then start cutting out. I pulled the plug out tonight there was a decent amount of mud on top of the plug. The plug is burning a light brown color. So it isn't hurting it running the pipe and filter. I am going to go buy a new plug tomorrow for the heck of it. What kind of grease did you guys say to use? I was just going to use the marine grease i use in my grease gun. Should i put it all over the coil and even inside? Once  i get this problem solved i want to get a clutch kit and a power commander. Hopefully this will give it power like a v twin because thats what i would like to get.
MiddleRiverMudders
Mud Monster
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/10 16:13:32
On my old Polaris Magnum 500 the time it did it to me the Cam Shaft almost was worn in two,lol.Not good,but im sure its pobally not a big break.idk though it could be a variety of things.
Hydrasports205
Puddle Jumper
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/12 09:35:04
Don't use marine grease for the spark plug boot - it's dielectric...meant to waterproof electrical connections. 

Personally I suspect your problem is the fuel filter, but try the other suggestions first, it's a little bit of a pain to get things apart to take the fuel pump out.  If it ends up being a bad fuel filter you might as well replace the filter and the pump at the same time - about $20 each.  My bike did exactly what yours did when the fuel filter was plugged.  It kills when it gets clogged up, but if you let it sit for a few minutes some of the trash settles in the tank so you can start it back up and run a little way before it plugs the filter again....at least that's what mine was doing.
Hydrasports205
Puddle Jumper
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/12 09:39:12
Oh and a nice brown plug doesn't necessarily mean much if you didn't shut it off at the rpm where the problem is happening, it doesn't mean it's never getting lean.  If you ran it normally and let it run at idle before shutting it off it just means you're running right at idle/low rpm.
QMAO
Puddle Jumper
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/12 10:34:36
x2 on the clogged up fuel filter
bluegrizzly
Mud Pro
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/13 07:14:04
Hydrasports205

Don't use marine grease for the spark plug boot - it's dielectric...meant to waterproof electrical connections. 

Personally I suspect your problem is the fuel filter, but try the other suggestions first, it's a little bit of a pain to get things apart to take the fuel pump out.  If it ends up being a bad fuel filter you might as well replace the filter and the pump at the same time - about $20 each.  My bike did exactly what yours did when the fuel filter was plugged.  It kills when it gets clogged up, but if you let it sit for a few minutes some of the trash settles in the tank so you can start it back up and run a little way before it plugs the filter again....at least that's what mine was doing.

I got somekind of a grease from the one local shop up the road its a dielectric. I put a thing layer down on the spark plug boot then put it back in the hole and put some around the top of it that is stick out. I am going to have to look into where this fuel filter is located. You said a fuel and a fuel pump cost $20 each. If that is right wow i though a fuel pump would cost alot like it does for a car.
Hydrasports205
Puddle Jumper
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/13 08:14:58
The fuel filter is attached to the pickup for the fuel pump in the tank.  If you tear into the fuel tank don't try to clean the filter, just replace it.  I tryed cleaning mine and the bike ran, but not right....of course that was before some of the guys on nyroc found some automotive filters and pump that would fit in the king. (you can't buy just a filter or pump from Suzuki, you have to buy the pump assembly which I think is $350 or so) 

I've got one of the airtex fuel pumps off of ebay, it cost $19.99 w/ free shipping, the fuel filter I have is an Airtex FS199 that I got from Oreilly....I think it was $22.  The filter I've got is about double the size of the stock filter and is an exact fit.  You'll have to disassemble the fuel pump housing to change out the pump or filter.  If you need help I can walk you through it.  Are on Nyroc?  If you haven't gone there I recommend it, it's by far the best site for info on kings.
post edited by Hydrasports205 - 2009/11/13 08:16:57
bluegrizzly
Mud Pro
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/17 20:34:40
I put a new spark plug in the quad and rode it over the weekend for about 13 miles and it ran great. I dunno what the deal is i will probley ride it more next weekend hopefully it runs great again.
Hydrasports205
Puddle Jumper
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/18 08:13:20
cool....always good when it's something cheap and simple - hope that's really got the problem fixed.
northern quad
Mud Monster
Re:King quad cutting out 2009/11/18 14:31:55
I find with mine were I am the fuel I use seem's to make a difference.  When I run fuel from Esso it does not run appropriately and will sort miss a bit as I think there fuel at the station I get it from is not very good.  When I run the fuel from Shell or Petro Canada it is much better and smoother.  I have 5700km on my bike and still the original plug in it.  Try a different fuel that may help as well and run some fuel injector cleaner once in a while.