LockedBest sounding truck muffler?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Puddle Jumper
2009/10/17 14:54:02
What is the best sounding dual exhaust for a v-8 truck? I am looking into to some and just wanted to know what yall thought sounded the best.
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 15:46:36
flowmaster 10 series, flowmaster 40s flowmaster outlaws.  cherrybomb glasspack, or cherrybomb muffler and the dynomax bullets are also really good mufflers. and by the way what truck is it? and this is going to get moved to the truck section just lettin you no
Gr8white
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 15:50:22
none....straight pipes
CorDog009
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 15:54:31
10-series Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers. Hard to beat IMO.
joshua99ta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 16:19:17
dynomax ultraflows!  flowmasters don't sound good on a stock engine to me.... must at least have a decent camshaft to get the sound out of a flowmaster. 

The dynomaxs flow better too, its a straight through desire w/ perfs in the piping.  BUT IT HAS TO BE THE ULTRAFLOW SERIES.
ydopen
Super Swamper
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 16:21:42
Flowmaster 40s on ford
HONDA 4x4
Mud Pro
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 16:25:13
i have a flowmaster 40 on my straight six 4.0 jeep and its loud, i can imagine how much better it'd sound on a v8
gmcz71
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 16:51:52
it all depens on the size of the V8, and whether its got cats or not.

single chambered small mufflers sound good with cats still on of course

Straight thru Magnaflos sound good if the cats are cut because there is no "metal pop" due to baffles.

dynomax bullets sound good too. 

Out of all my setups, If it wasnt sounding really good I did something else.  Ive been running no muffler, stock cats on my 5.3 45'd in front of pass rear w/ 3" slash cut tip for over a year and really like it.
taylorjmiller
Puddle Jumper
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 16:58:37
It going on a 1995 f150 4x4 its got a 351 in it.
emc
Mud Pro
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 17:14:44
FLOWMASTER all the way.
gmcz71
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 17:39:29
Yea Id go with about a 15-19" chambered muffler.  if you have $80 then that translates to a Flowmaster 40 but I know where to get the same thing cheaper.
joshua99ta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 18:37:27
the only magnablow muffler I have heard that sounded good was on a buddies 05 silverado... I'm not sure what muffler it was but it was like $100 for the muffler... the only other magnablow I have ever heard sounded like a log truck and popped and crackled terribly... the god awful 3.5" echo tips probably didnt help either though
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 21:02:56
Asking this kind of question will never get you a straight answer cause everyones opinion is different, but the best sounding setup that I have heard on a relatively stock 351 Blue Oval was true duals with no cats and the shortest cheapest glasspacks that were on the local Napa's shelf. If you want to go with a chambered muffler look into Spintech mufflers, imo they sound better then Flowmaster and they are cheaper too from what I have seen. I am running true duals with a pair of them on my 4.7L Dakota, and I can't wipe the smile off my face for a good 10 min after I start the truck every time.
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 21:21:16
Heres Spintech's home page, looks like their prices have gone up a bit since I got mine but they are still on par with other performance mufflers. They have some good customer supplied sound samples of their street mufflers. 

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp
04foreman4x4
Mud Pro
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/17 23:51:00
i like outlaw flowmasters, single chamber 10 series flowmasters, and dynomax bullets. i got dynomax on my ford right know and it is the best sounding ine ive heard in a while besides one with true dual straights and i had true dual outlaw flowmasters with no cats on a 95 gmc that was ridiculously loud, straights wasnt even close to the sound and my brother had true dual single chambers on a 98 2door tahoe that was a deep and loud tone that sounded awsome.
joshua99ta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/18 11:52:51
spintech makes a good muffler also!   I'm going to run a single 4" mufflex w/ a 4inch single in dual out spintech w/ 2 3.5" electric cut outs off the collectors on my trans am when I get to the new exhaust step of the build.
mulletman
Mud Slinger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/18 13:56:07
drive shaft tube belled down to fit with the thickest piece of piano wire you can find ran throuth it will not only sound cool as **** but will shatter glass as well lol
RebelRider201
Trail Rider
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/18 21:38:24
HERE IT IS: run 3 1/2" pipes all the way to the manifold of a V8, no mufflers, cats, glasspacks, or anything, except 5" tips for a roar or 3" to get the pop with no stop.
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/19 07:31:29
3.5" true duals will be WAY too big for any stockish small block, 3.5" single exhaust is a little too big for most every stock small block.
CorDog009
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/19 07:48:45
joshua99ta

spintech makes a good muffler also!   I'm going to run a single 4" mufflex w/ a 4inch single in dual out spintech w/ 2 3.5" electric cut outs off the collectors on my trans am when I get to the new exhaust step of the build.

That was the first exhaust I put on my '02 Z28 when I bought it. Ordered it as soon as I drove it home from the dealership. I went with the Spintech dual outlet muffler. Sounded really good. I went from that to 3" TD's, x-pipe, with 1-chamber Flowmasters dumped and gutted cats....that was realllly loud.
joshua99ta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/19 07:59:41
3.5? straights w/ 5" tips?!?!?!?! are you serious?!?!?!?!?!  that would HAVE TO BE the worst sounding thing on the road.  popping exhaust only sounds good if your one of the most inbred people on earth. 

I'm wanting to go w/ the mufflex so I can have the 4" volume for my big motor and TRY to keep it as quiet as possible... I am probably gunna have to put a couple of 4" bullets in the intermediate pipe also, may even put a couple after the muffler... I want it to be QUIET when sitting in traffic... then open the cut outs and let that big solid roller talk some smack
rebelbowtie
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/19 10:25:06
another vote for spintech got a set on a chevy 7.4 sounds awesome. flowmasters dont sound all that bad on a 351 but flowmaster just sucks. anything you put on a stock ford motor is gonna be pretty quiet. and this thread is irrelevant. muffler threads are like ford vs GM threads. you know the old saying every _____ has one and they all stink. oh and for what its worth i am running dynomax bullets on a chevy 5.0 and borla xr-1 race mufflers on a chevy 6.0 both sound good.
NWT420
Mud Monster
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/19 19:38:14
rebelbowtie

another vote for spintech got a set on a chevy 7.4 sounds awesome. flowmasters dont sound all that bad on a 351 but flowmaster just sucks. anything you put on a stock ford motor is gonna be pretty quiet. and this thread is irrelevant. muffler threads are like ford vs GM threads. you know the old saying every _____ has one and they all stink. oh and for what its worth i am running dynomax bullets on a chevy 5.0 and borla xr-1 race mufflers on a chevy 6.0 both sound good.

what years your 454?mines a 98(in my sig.)i got mine straightpiped,true dual,3",cats on,but its not finished yet,not sure how i wanna go by the tank....?i love the way it rapps when i crack on it but it rumbles way to much @ idle! mabey ill look into a spintech.

rebelbowtie
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/19 21:25:22
idk what year actually. i could check the vin or casting numbers on the block. its in a swamp buggy.  its not a vortec like yours
GoinUnder61
Trail Rider
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/20 08:39:03
gotta get them flows!!!
stmitchell04
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/20 10:03:14
you wont need any bigger than 2.5" pipe any bigger and you are going to lose power with a stock engine not enough back pressure.  On my Dakota R/T I have a set of hooker headers true dual 2.5" with flowmaster 40 series dumped at the muffler
back2XR
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/20 10:12:49
my 01 gmc 2500hd, I cut the muffler out and welded in some straight pipes, and put a 5" tip on the end. sounded sweet, but very loud. I ended up pulling the stock muffler out of the scrap pile and punching out the inside with a big bar. Welded that sucker in and wow, it has the nicest sound. Not too loud and very clean and throaty.
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/20 21:48:56
all this is so confusing lol. i was thinking on my f 150 just cut the first 2 cats off and run 8 inch glasspacks to 5inch tips. sound good?
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/21 11:35:02
hondaforeman450es

all this is so confusing lol. i was thinking on my f 150 just cut the first 2 cats off and run 8 inch glasspacks to 5inch tips. sound good?

Aside from the 5" tips part yea, sounds really good and cheap. Cheap is good! I'm not a big fan of the big tips though, the 3-3.5" tips look the best to me.
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/21 11:41:36
stmitchell04

you wont need any bigger than 2.5" pipe any bigger and you are going to lose power with a stock engine not enough back pressure.  On my Dakota R/T I have a set of hooker headers true dual 2.5" with flowmaster 40 series dumped at the muffler

I agree with the size, you do not need bigger then 2.5" on any stockish motor. If you had a lopey cam or forced induction maybe. Are you on dakota-durango.com?

I thought I would point out though to clarify things, back pressure is a bad thing, period. The loss of back pressure is not what causes motors to lose low end power, it is the loss of scavenging caused by the diameter of the pipe slowing the exhaust flow away from the manifolds which are extremely inefficient and rely on proper pipe sizing to aid in scavenging. There is no easy/simple way to explain it.
stmitchell04
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/21 15:27:36
HondaGuy

stmitchell04

I agree with the size, you do not need bigger then 2.5" on any stockish motor. If you had a lopey cam or forced induction maybe. Are you on dakota-durango.com?

I thought I would point out though to clarify things, back pressure is a bad thing, period. The loss of back pressure is not what causes motors to lose low end power, it is the loss of scavenging caused by the diameter of the pipe slowing the exhaust flow away from the manifolds which are extremely inefficient and rely on proper pipe sizing to aid in scavenging. There is no easy/simple way to explain it.

I was on all the Dakota R/T websites then they just stopped samething never changed.  My best time is 12.98 1/4
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/21 23:36:34
alright. so on the f 150s can you just take all the cats off or do you have to have them on? i would like to run true duals with no cats and just two flowmaster 10 series. but from what i understand i cant. is this true?
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/22 10:09:07
stmitchell04

HondaGuy

stmitchell04

I was on all the Dakota R/T websites then they just stopped samething never changed.  My best time is 12.98 1/4

Nice time man! I've run a 14.21 in my 02 4.7L rcsb, that was with HO cams and intake, CAI, Headers, 2.5" true duals, BBK 70mm TB, Superchips tuner, Powertrax locker, 4.56 gears, and 28x9" slicks. www.dakota-durango.com is still pretty active, got a few on there just to start stuff now, but overall its a good place to get info and pointers for your truck. I'm KotaKid287 on there btw.
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/22 10:12:46
hondaforeman450es

alright. so on the f 150s can you just take all the cats off or do you have to have them on? i would like to run true duals with no cats and just two flowmaster 10 series. but from what i understand i cant. is this true?

If you take all 4 off you will have a check engine light on, you can take the rear two off and the light will not come on because they are behind the rear O2 sensors. If you want it loud take those rear 2 cats off, one on each side, and run true duals from there back to the single chamber Flowmasters or straight pipes. If you take the cats off I would run a pair of mufflers, if you leave all 4 cats there just run straights. I wish I had a sound clip of one setup that way, they sound sweet!
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/22 16:32:20
HondaGuy

hondaforeman450es

If you take all 4 off you will have a check engine light on, you can take the rear two off and the light will not come on because they are behind the rear O2 sensors. If you want it loud take those rear 2 cats off, one on each side, and run true duals from there back to the single chamber Flowmasters or straight pipes. If you take the cats off I would run a pair of mufflers, if you leave all 4 cats there just run straights. I wish I had a sound clip of one setup that way, they sound sweet!

alright. ya a guy at my school is just running his 4 cats and it sounds good! thats what i will probably go with but i just cant decide between 5 inch tips or 3 or 3.5 tips. any advice?
littlebigrancher
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/22 17:12:43
well have any of you guys tried the flowmaster super44? i have one with dual in/dual out and its sick. i have had every single flowmaster muffler possible and this one wins by a margin. its alot deeper and louder them the 40.
04foreman4x4
Mud Pro
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/22 20:39:24
littlebigrancher

well have any of you guys tried the flowmaster super44? i have one with dual in/dual out and its sick. i have had every single flowmaster muffler possible and this one wins by a margin. its alot deeper and louder them the 40.

theres no way the super 44 is louder than the outlaw flowmaster or the single chamber 10 series flowmaster
MY07BRUTE
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/26 12:00:11
What do you want from your exhaust?

Just noise = Flowcrapper/Cherrybomb/straight pipe

Performance = Aeroturbine/Dynomax Ultraflows/Dynomax Bullet, etc.

I waned great flow with no drone, had a dynomax catback with an ultra flow and it sounded REAL good but there was too much drone for me.

I now have a CORSA sport and it sounds so much crisper and there is very little drone so I am happy, the truck also fells a little quicker.
stmitchell04
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/27 08:20:25
HondaGuy

stmitchell04

HondaGuy

stmitchell04

Nice time man! I've run a 14.21 in my 02 4.7L rcsb, that was with HO cams and intake, CAI, Headers, 2.5" true duals, BBK 70mm TB, Superchips tuner, Powertrax locker, 4.56 gears, and 28x9" slicks. www.dakota-durango.com is still pretty active, got a few on there just to start stuff now, but overall its a good place to get info and pointers for your truck. I'm KotaKid287 on there btw.

You run cats on your dakota?
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/27 09:33:35
Yea, a pair of high flows then back to a pair of Spintech mufflers.
stmitchell04
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/27 10:17:52
HondaGuy

Yea, a pair of high flows then back to a pair of Spintech mufflers.

I luck out on that the 2000 models have some kinda of defect in the rear o2 sensor so no cat for me and the sensor is just zip tied to the frame rail
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/27 11:18:01
Yea, I've heard about others that have gotten away with doing that. The 4.7s have 3 cats from the factory, 2 small ones and one big one. All the O2 sensors are in front of the one big one so that was one of the first things to go on my truck lol. Made $90 by taking it off and selling it to the scrap guy lol. I've not had a check engine light come on yet, and the exhaust has been the same for prob 50k mi now.
stmitchell04
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/27 12:12:55
Mine just rolled over 128000 thinking of putting a 408 kit it it and either a 150 shot or boost it
CorDog009
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/27 12:32:30
My exhaust is 2.75" and I'll probably leave it at that unless I go with long tubes and true duals. I gutted my cats last weekend and the old 10-series Flowmaster sounds better than ever.
joshua99ta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/29 18:22:20
hondaforeman450es

HondaGuy

hondaforeman450es

NO TIPS... or at least not an echo tip(the normal truck tips that all the tastless rednecks LOVE) the will ruin the tone of anything.  now borla, hooker, corsa and several others make some good looking non average tips. 

alright. ya a guy at my school is just running his 4 cats and it sounds good! thats what i will probably go with but i just cant decide between 5 inch tips or 3 or 3.5 tips. any advice?

superduty4life
Mud Maniac
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/29 19:26:56
If you have money to spend, just put a Borla exhast from the manifold back and throw the rest away. Or just put a magna flow, they have real good deep tone with no popping. If its a diesel, you can hear the turbo spool up just like an 18 wheeler's exhast. 
HondaGuy
Respected Member
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/30 09:33:44
stmitchell04

Mine just rolled over 128000 thinking of putting a 408 kit it it and either a 150 shot or boost it

Sounds like a plan! I want to turbo my 4.7L so bad it ain't funny, but I can't ever save the money up at the right time to do it lol. When the motor finally goes though, the rule books gonna go out the window and I'm gonna see just how much I can squeeze out of 287ci. lol
BruteForce20
Mud Pro
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/30 20:07:25
MBRP!!
CAJUNMUDDER
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/30 20:14:12
had flowmaster 40 on my titan sounded very good
mccullough
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/10/31 22:07:31
I have corsa on my truck and is by far the best sounding exhaust that I have herd, its expensive though. The reason why mine is so loud is be cause it has no cats on it.

http://vids.myspace.com/i...l&videoid=18520918
http://vids.myspace.com/i...l&videoid=18521933
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/01 00:07:05
nice truck MCCULLOUGH what all is done to it? and it sounds really good to. 4.8 or 5.3?
Barras22
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/01 05:19:24
4.8 5 speed with some minor tuning and bolt ons.  Regency edition. Off the juice in those vids. Thats my lil gray one playing behind them.
Silveradols
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/02 05:13:07
I use to run FlowMaster catbacks, until I had a Magnaflow set of true duals installed.  I much prefer the Magnaflow.  You can't tell my truck is even running, unless I get on the gas and then you can hear them talk.
opiegriz450
Super Swamper
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/02 15:11:52
thats what im wanting on mine, do you mind where did you get them, what kind are they and how much did they cost??
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/02 15:36:04
alright guys i think i changed my mind. i heard a few trucks with the aeroturbine 3030at and that thing is SICK. it makes the trucks have that low deep sound thats loud but no popping which is what i was wanting.
Silveradols
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/03 14:26:16
opiegriz450

thats what im wanting on mine, do you mind where did you get them, what kind are they and how much did they cost??

I got mine at Mad Hatter Mufflers, I'm not sure if they're nationwide or not.  I just know they are MagnaFlow Mufflers.  The complete set of duals was about $500.
Jrod*rzr
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/05 15:29:36
go to f150online.com and you will learn all you want about f150s.    i run two hiflow magnaflow cats with split h pipe into two slp loudmouth 1 mufflers all 2.5 inch pipe. with other things.....  it sounds good and has a gurgle as a muscle car has.

rancherkid33
Mud Master
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/08 17:39:35
Me my dad and grandpa just put glass packs on my truck. It sounds awsome!! Its just a pipe from the manifold to the muffler with no cats.
straights are to loud for me.
farmerboy700
Outlaw Extremist
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/09 20:05:56
HOOKER ALSO MAKES AWSOME MUFFLERS... I HAVE THE MAX FLOW AND BARRAS22 has the AERO CHAMBER and both sound awsome
bigbearrider91
Mud Bogger
Re:Best sounding truck muffler? 2009/11/10 18:10:32
well ive got a chevy with a built 350 with 2 chamber 2 flows with the outlet cut off to the flow it will rumble but its got a comp cam 479 lift too though
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2