LockedGrizzly 700 rebuild...

Super Swamper
2009/10/13 22:41:09
Well it's time for a top-end rebuild.. so i checked around some shops and to have it done i would have to drop around a grand. I'm simply not paying that much so i'll do it myself. Just wondering how hard this is exactly?? the parts diagram of the head and cylinder makes it appear fairly simple. Anything to watch out for or any advice maybe?? also, where can i get the cylinder re-coated with nickasil (sp?) after boring, and how much does this cost on average?
mud_dog450
Respected Member
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/13 22:56:13
Could be wrong, but I don't believe the cylinder is Nikasil coated, so no need to worry there.

I'm not sure how much you know about this, so sorry if you already know most of this.

There's nothing really too difficult in doing it yourself.  Just make sure you have a good quality torque wrench and the torque specs, and most importantly a clean workspace once everything is ready to go back together.

Don't be afraid to really coat the piston and cylinder with oil while installing it.  It's better that it is well oiled during the intial startup.

When installing the piston circlips (the clips that hold the piston pin or "wrist pin" in), make sure that the opening in the clip is at either the 12 or 6 o'clock position.  If the gap is anywhere between the 1 and 5 or 7 and 11 o'clock positions, the inertia of the piston traveling up and down can actually compress the clip and dislodge it from its groove in the piston.  Then the pin can work its way out a little and cause some major problems.  But if you are installing the "spiral lock" clips, then you won't have to worry about this. 

Also, make sure that you take the piston in with the cylinder when you get it bored.  That way they can bore to the physical piston size plus the needed clearance.

There's a few other things that will probably come to mind that I'll try to add for you. 
post edited by mud_dog450 - 2009/10/13 23:04:01
lil420camo
Mud Pro
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 00:12:55
put an sleeve so allu will have to do is bore it out next time
getting my buddies done
heres his list
sleeve
wiseco 11.5 i think
mudbuster cam
valves recut
port and polish
o and it is nikasil
Pahrump
Mud Pro
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 08:25:10
The cylinder IS plated, and odds are you dont need to do anything but replace the piston.  The Nikasil wears very good...this is why its used in the first place...less to maintence.

Only reason to have the cylinder bored and plated again is if you want to go up in cc size or if you have some serious wear and gouges in the cylinder.

If you need it plated I would suggest millenium technologies not sure if I spelt that right...but they are one of the top places...you just send your new piston, along with your cylinder and they do the work and send it back.

AlaskaGrizz
Outlaw
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 14:04:52
I thought ya just bought that grizz a short while back? I take it the previous owner started it up with water in the oil before he sold it to you. Too bad. Good luck on the rebuild.
Mason
Mud Bogger
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 15:47:19
if you're on here asking about it chances are you should have a shop and someone who knows what they're doing do it. if u do tho send ur cylinder to Max Power in wi. They Are the top place.
DixieMudderGrizz05
Super Swamper
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 16:30:01
AlaskaGrizz

I thought ya just bought that grizz a short while back? I take it the previous owner started it up with water in the oil before he sold it to you. Too bad. Good luck on the rebuild.

i did ... about a month ago is when i got it. and no the previous owner didn't do the damage. I believe that a breather tube or something has or had come loose and i caught it too late. I didn't take it loose and im pretty sure it was loose or gone before i got it... just some bad luck is all.
DixieMudderGrizz05
Super Swamper
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 16:32:42
Mason

if you're on here asking about it chances are you should have a shop and someone who knows what they're doing do it. if u do tho send ur cylinder to Max Power in wi. They Are the top place.

i know "what i'm doing" trust me. I've been in motors before, just not a fuel injected atv motor, much less a grizzly 700 specifically. just gettin some pointers and things to watch out for before i dive in.

anyone know how much the nikasil coating costs just in case i do need it bored??
AlaskaGrizz
Outlaw
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 18:14:49
DixieMudderGrizz05

AlaskaGrizz

i did ... about a month ago is when i got it. and no the previous owner didn't do the damage. I believe that a breather tube or something has or had come loose and i caught it too late. I didn't take it loose and im pretty sure it was loose or gone before i got it... just some bad luck is all.

Do you mean the crankcase breather? was it attached to the airbox lid or ran up with the snorkles? Did it come off at the engine?

DixieMudderGrizz05
Super Swamper
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 18:39:30
i havent really looked deep into it yet,  and havent seen the setup on another grizz yet either. sitting on the bike is there a breather or hose that is supposed to connect to the back right (closest to you ) corner of the airbox on the bottom??

the crankcase breather was not run up.
DixieMudderGrizz05
Super Swamper
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 18:49:10
nvm guys.. i found out what it is.. wel not really but i know what is missing. there is a hose that comes off of that corner of the airbox and has a plug in the bottom of it... mine is gone..... the worst part is that it is on the underside of the airbox, which means unfiltered air, mud and whatever else makes its way in that hole.
DixieMudderGrizz05
Super Swamper
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 18:50:51
one other question.. do i need to take the motor out of the frame to do this or will it be alright doing the top end with the motor still in it? also, is it necessary to take all of the plastics off?
AlaskaGrizz
Outlaw
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 22:00:30
DixieMudderGrizz05

nvm guys.. i found out what it is.. wel not really but i know what is missing. there is a hose that comes off of that corner of the airbox and has a plug in the bottom of it... mine is gone..... the worst part is that it is on the underside of the airbox, which means unfiltered air, mud and whatever else makes its way in that hole.

I don't know where the crankcase vent connects to the airbox on the 700 but that hose with a plug you are discribing is a drain hose and not the crankcase vent hose- they don't have a plug. You should have a 3/4OD " hose coming out of the engine under the airbox that goes into the airbox- Crankcase vent hose.
mud_dog450
Respected Member
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 22:50:48
lil420camo
o and it is nikasil

Thank you, I stand corrected. 
DixieMudderGrizz05
Super Swamper
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 23:03:15
i know it isnt the crankcase breather but i was just explaining the reason the motor is ruined lol.
sscard
Respected Member
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/14 23:43:27
its not ruined
but if you got mud in it
yes take the motor out and clean it
if just water got in it, and your sure then no, top end can be done inside the frame
sscard
Respected Member
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/15 00:01:22
sorry
if your sure theres no mud or dirt in it, top end can be done inside the frame
getting primed for mudstock, my apologies
DixieMudderGrizz05
Super Swamper
Re:Grizzly 700 rebuild... 2009/10/15 16:35:40
im not sure as of yet, but i don't believe it will need cleaning. Just the fact that it got unfiltered air to it like that.. anyone done one of these yet? and have any advice?