LockedNew 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI

Puddle Jumper
2009/08/31 21:02:23
Hello all, obviouisly I'm new to the forum. This is the first ATV that I've ever owned, however I've grown up riding them through friends and family. I've never been on one as big as this one and I have a few questions.

First is a small problem that I had with the LCD flashing EFI after we turned it off to see if someone needed help. My wife and I were on our way back home after going through some mud pits in the mountains. It was nothing serious at all and only had one that slightly even bogged us down but we pulled through it. Anyway, on the ride back we saw a couple of people stopped so we pulled off and asked them if they needed any help to which they were fine. When I tried to fire it back up, EFI was flashing on the LCD and it wouldn't turn over, just crank. I turned the key off, then back on and it fired on the very next try. That was yesterday.

Today I started it up just to ride around the yard a bit with the kids and the same thing. After I stopped it for a minute and tried to restart, EFI flashes and it wouldn't turn over. I turned the key off as I did the day before, and then turned it back on and it fired immediately. I had read a few posts on here with people having the same problem but no real reason listed. I checked all of the fuses and circuit breaker and everything is fine. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I'm going to call the dealership in the morning and see what they have to say but any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Second, this is where I'm going to sound really dumb, but are these things made for any kind of climbing as well as mudding?  I'm not really into climbing, I'd rather say in the mud all day, but my wife likes the bumpy stuff. We climbed up a pretty good rocky incline but it was terrifying. It felt like we were going to flip at any second. Coming down was no problem, but it was like as soon as it got a little off the ground it suddenly weighed nothing.

Third, how are you supposed to play in the mud. We are going to be racking the rad in the very near future for maximum air flow and protection but in regards to actually playing in the mud. What we went through I would call light to medium, but I noticed that I could either hit it wide open and have a blast or creep through it and let it float and come out just the same. Hitting mud wide open, is this a bad idea? I only ask because it's got such a powerful engine, I just assume is so you can go full throttle any chance you get when playing in the slop. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie on his own first 4 wheeler.

-Joseph
GWC
Administrator
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 21:12:10
I would not ride it up steep hills with 2 people on it, with just one rider it will do fine but 2 puts to much weight on the back and not enough on the front.
As for going threw the mud using alot of throttle is kinda the last thing i do as atv tires are design more to be spun slowly and not fast and will get better traction that way.

Welcome to the forums.
dreggsta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 21:31:17
^^^^^^ x2 what g said. def do not do any technical riding like that w/a passenger. it just cancels any weight shifting you do. as for hitting the holes, well, that's really up to you. sometimes you will have to go slower than others. just put some more seat time on her & feel out what she likes. be safe!
brutescoot
Mud Pro
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 21:43:16
are you letting it cycle through? im not sure what the correct word for it is but if i just turned the key on and tryed to start my 700 efi it would do the same thing. someone on here said to let all the pod stuff run its cycle then start it and since then ive had no problems. i havent had any problems with my mud pro doing this because i just wait a second or two for the needle on the pod to quit bouncing and she fires right up.
GWC
Administrator
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 21:46:26
Yeap you have to wait until the gauge all comes on or it can do just that.
liquidaluminum
Puddle Jumper
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 21:51:37
No, I've been waiting for everything to settle before trying to start, that's when the LCD comes on and flashes EFI, after the gauge stops bouncing. Thanks for the advice though.

-Joseph
brutescoot
Mud Pro
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 22:02:22
i would take it to the dealer and see if there are any codes in it, should be under warranty, weird mine does the same thing if i dont let the pod cycle through
Northern Mud
Mud Pro
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 23:33:00
Try tightening the battier cable, a lose cable will make it blink efi.
Northern Mud
Mud Pro
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/08/31 23:35:34
Went to the mountains this year and a friend of mine doubled his wife the whole time.  They went up some hairy stuff that i was nervous one with one person.  They had no problems the extra weight gave a little more traction.
08_700H1
Mud Bogger
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 00:02:29
with a person sitting on the back rack of an independent suspension bike, it unloads the front end and makes the front end super light. you are lucky you didn't have a roll over. any type of technical manuvers of inclement terrain needs to be tackled with one rider and a spotter. maybe you can train your wife into being a spotter. i do not recomend going up hills with a person on the back. very VERY dangerous. good luck with your new bike they are very good bikes.
ScribblesEdition
Mud Monster
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 00:45:29
i had the same thing when i didnt let mine cycle through... me and my buddy both have 700 efi's, mine bein a mudpro... and if you dont let them cycle they will not start.. it needs to "prime" itself... but if you do let it cycle and it still does... then to the dealer i would go...
SUPERBIRD
Puddle Jumper
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 08:52:13
my lcd flashed EFI immediately after turning the key on, before it has cycled. that was only one time and it was after i washed it. has not done it since. must have got something wet.
MUDKITTY
Mud Bogger
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 10:17:14
tilt sensor? mine didi when i rolled mine..
MudJet
Grass Hog
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 13:47:42
I bought a 700 H1 EFI 3 weeks ago. Can't help you on the ride part because this is my first quad since high school (also my first post on this site). Same thing happened to me on the EFI. Talked to a indy mechanic (dealership kind of out of the way for me so i haven't been by to verify this) who told me that the start sequence was very paticular on the 09s (something about fuel pumps burning up on them). Kill switch has to be set to run BEFORE the ignition is turned on and the bike will not crank in any gear but neutral with the brake on. I have tried to prove it wrong but so far he seems right. I can't get the EFI indicator to come on when I follow those steps. Maybe somebody on here has heard something similar.
TexasEdition
Mud Master
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 15:33:04
^^ Mine will start in any gear with the brake on...
MUDKITTY
Mud Bogger
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 15:58:01
i can verify the kill switch sequence. mine has to be on run before i turn the key.
liquidaluminum
Puddle Jumper
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 16:25:43
Wow, thank you very much for all the advice everyone. First let me say that my wife was not on the bike when I went climbing, she was actually spotting me, it might have just been that I'm not used to it yet and wasn't used to having a wheel completely off the ground just yet. I should have been more clear in my original post.

In regards to the flashing EFI display, I think I might have been at fault afterall. While I couldn't reporduce it every time I tried, I did get about a 60% fail rate when trying to start the bike before it had fully power cycled. It did exactly what we experienced both yesterday and the day before with it flashing EFI and then making me turn the key off and then back on before it would start again. I also noticed that the needle would go from bottom to top and back again over and over while EFI was flashing. If that's the case, then maybe I've got nothing to worry about afterall.

I did call the dealership just to check with them however they said that they were unaware of any issues with an error like that being generated by the mud pro, so who knows. Now that I can breath a little easier, I plan on making some changes to the bike. First thing is going to be racking the rad. I'm assuming that the directions are going to be dummy proof so I don't really see any issues with it.

Where do you guys get the custom logos and stuff on your radiators? Is that something that you did on your own or a custom vent cover that you bought after market? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also on a side note, I don't suppose any of you live around the Jacksboro to Knoxville Tennessee Area do you? Anywhere close to Royal Blue that might want to get together and go ride?
FabriCATed
Outlaw
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 17:20:06
most people do there own logo on the radiator screen. make a stencil and spray it.

Nick
dreggsta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 17:22:36
all cats have the start in gear. the brake has to be pressed in tho.

i don't know anyone that uses the kill switch. just turn the bike off w/the key & you won't have any probs. someone posted a prob like this before & just using the key & not the kill switch was the fix. so leave the kill switch on run & don't use it. no need to use it anyways lol.

mudtech makes an all in one box easy to understand/assemble kit. if you are looking just for a bracket you can also try mudtech, b&j & coker.

we just make stencils for our rad screens. get you a pic & make a stencil from it.
liquidaluminum
Puddle Jumper
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 20:55:33
This is probably going to be the dumbest question ever asked on these boards, but will racking the rad void my warranty? Not that it really matters considering that it's for only 6 months, but I ask because when I called the dealer to ask them, they didn't know if you can believe that. The response that I got was, it really all depends on if AC wants pictures of the ATV before the warranty work is done and even then it's their decision.

-Joseph
dreggsta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 20:58:13
it's up to the dealer & yes you might have to put it back to stock. worth every penny if something big comes up & it's super easy to do. my question is tho that if the bike is snorkeled already then what difference does racking the rad make?
muddace
Mud Bogger
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 21:14:04
true am i the only one that thinks an actual mud pro would have come with the rad already up just my opinion
dreggsta
Outlaw Extremist
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 21:20:33
agreed. it shoulda been racked already. especially w/all that have over-heating issues. a stock relocated rad set up from a/c woulda been sweet.
liquidaluminum
Puddle Jumper
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/01 22:08:47
Well, the thing is, if I get into some heavy mud or anything where it's deep, there's no way to hear the fan kick on. I had read that it's very possible that the overheating issues (which I've not experienced yet) could be due to the strain the fan would go through working through mud. Also, my main reason for wanting to rack it is in the rare event that there is a buried tree, stick, sharp rock or anything that might be hidden under the mud that might fly up and bust it. I figure best chance to avoid any issues as far as cooling goes it to just put it up as high as I can. Plus...it just looks mean, lol.

-Joseph
speed freak
Mud Master
Re:New 09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700 H1 EFI 2009/09/02 13:46:38
Tell your dealer to swap your ecm out and it will solve your flashing efi problems. Next time it does it remove your seat unplug it and plug it back in and she will fire up.