Locked450 foreman rear axle bearing ?

Mud Pro
2009/08/31 11:42:30
The bearing on my 03 Foreman 450es left rear axle is shot.

How easy would it be to change the bearing, and does anyone suggest a particular bearing to replace it?
Solitude
Respected Member
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 11:54:33
The easiest way to replace it replace it or get it out is the just take the Wheel, Hub off and then the Axle Tube. Then get a pole or something long and metal and then put that in the tube untill you hit the bearing, then just bang it on the ground and it will push that bearing out. Then just put the new one in either by a hammer evenly or press.
MBBFord
Mud Pro
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 11:59:41
That's easy enough, I don't have the bike here to look at, but the tube just bolts to the differential?

Any brand bearing you suggest?
Solitude
Respected Member
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 12:03:35
Yes there just 4 bolts and the shock.. 14MM I believe. Just a stock Honda bearing or All Balls or match one up at the local bearing store.. Dont forget a dust seal. I just looked it up and the bearing from a online parts store is $30.45 and the seal is $13.68.
meatman
Mud Monster
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 12:28:34
it would be much cheaper from a bearing shop, and get a sealed bearing, it will last much longer. also check the surfacre on the hub where the bearing rides, if it is cut up or in any way messed up you will need a speedie sleeve and a seal to match.
XLCat
Super Swamper
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 12:41:34
Don't forget to take the snap ring off before you bang on it.  Really, cleaning all the mud and rust out of the tube and races is the worst part!  I do believe that bearing is sealed from Honda.  I had decent luck installing two seals.  There's enough room there for 2.  Also, one can drill and tap the tube to accept a grease fitting.  That way you can pump the whole dern housing full.  The positive pressure helps keep garbage out of there, and it extends the life of the splines in your dif.
trx300
Mud Master
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 13:18:14
partsfish.com has them 4 16 dollars
toodeep
Outlaw
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 14:03:25
MSRP from Honda = 32x58x13 bearing $14.64 and 42x58x10 seal $14.20. Bearing is a sealed bearing and there is no snap ring to take off on the left rear axle tube. Make sure you jack up the frame of the machine because the shock has to come loose. Hub nut takes a 30mm socket also.
XLCat
Super Swamper
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 15:07:48
There sure isn't.  Must have been another machine I remember that from.  Really, the hub retains that bearing against its shoulder anyhow.
gmcz71
Outlaw Extremist
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/08/31 15:14:26
quick question... if you tap in a grease zerk and pump it full of grease, wouldnt that make changing the bearing/seal next time incredibly messy?  do you just wash the old grease out?
MBBFord
Mud Pro
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/09/22 11:43:10
Ok, right rear (brake side) sounds bad, but no slack yet.

How much harder is it to get to the right side?
imx25i
Mud Pro
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/09/22 11:59:09
if you feel it with grease you wont have to change them for a long time keep the mud and grit out and keep it lubed up to prolong the life of the bearings and keeps stuff from rusting
hondarider94
Mud Master
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/09/22 14:39:38
we just got done doing this on my recon.. we bought a bearing puller, used wd40 a torch and anything else you could imagine and couldnt get the bearingS out of the left side of the axle. so we had to take the rear off, the tranny i guess it is and then push them out instead of pull them..

although we bought a bearing kit on ebay for the whole rear end so we just replaced all the bearings.. the ones on the left werent that bad they atleast turned
leageltrip
Mud Monster
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/09/22 16:50:58
another thing you can do is to put the bearing in the freezer for about 30 mins and when you go to put it in it is a lot easier. just a few taps with a hammer.
Jake450s
Re:450 foreman rear axle bearing ? 2009/09/22 18:24:55
The fix for the left is a bearing, a seal, and a close examination of the hub to see if there is a groove worn in it where the seal rides.  If there is a groove, the mud will go right under the seal... 
You've gotta unbolt the left shock for this, as there is no effective way to remove the bearing without removing the left axle tube.  Make sure to support the back of the main frame (rear of the engine...) before unbolting the shock.

The right side (brake side) is just as easy to change, but a little different.  You've got to take the brake drum off, then the brake backing plate has to come off.  Leave the shoes on it if you wish, but the rest has to go(Two cables, one vent, four nuts hold it to the axle... and remove the brake backing plate right over the axle just like the drum cover and the drum came off...).  There's a circlip on this side that holds the bearings into the brake backing plate before they can be removed.  There's two on this side, not just one.  I would change them in pairs, but I'd spin them by hand first before I removed the clip.  Diagnosing anything except brakes on the right side by noise alone will usually result in a misdiagnosis.