LockedHelp! What year model is this big bear? pics inside

Dirt Monster
2009/08/04 18:28:19
I traded a guy an old broke down lawn mower for a Yamaha Big bear 350 that im going to "soup up" and give to my younger cousin.  I runs like new money, but doesnt have a bit of brakes on it.  Im going to redo the brakes, put some 26 inch mudlites on it, and a snorkel kit.  The foot brake pedal is broken off, and needs replacing.  I dont know what year it is to know what part to order, maybe you guys can help me with that.  Also, what all needs to be snorkeled?  (sorry, im a honda guy myself)  I know on the hondas I havew to snorkel the air box, diffs, fan, radiator overflow, and gas tank, and crank case.  Just curious if you could throw a easy list of stuff out there so I make sure I do everything correctly on this.  Thanks again, and hope you guys can tell me what year it is because I cant find any kind of serial number bar on it or anything.

shaeleblanc
Mud Pro
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/04 19:50:59
early 90 and its a dual range that thing with handle alot bigger than the 26 mudlights you could turn some 28s on it easy. that is the best big bear to have in my opinion bullet proof and the dual range tranny.
guiltysavior
Dirt Monster
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/04 19:55:40
Thanks.  Im guessing a 93 model, not real sure though.  Also I see you are a NREMT EMT paramedic preceptor, me too.  I work for the of Durham, NC
shaeleblanc
Mud Pro
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/04 20:01:38
cool deal man yea i work for acadian ambulance. i just wish we got paid a bit more down here to help with my addiction.. but you know we are not in it for the money.
G H O S T
Super Swamper
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/05 00:56:21
those things are tanks.....riding one of those is why i went from a trx300 to a 400 BB.......an old 350bb is what a 300 4x4 wishes it was....not trying to hate on the ol 300 but yami hit the nail on the head when they made the bigbear.......parts for those are all over ebay...you should not have any problems finding the brake pedal 
Dezz
Respected Member
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/05 05:59:12
Due to the location of the High/Low/Reverse shifter, the front rack design, and fender design, and rear fender sticker design, this gives me the clues to say that model is between years 1994-1996.
There should be a Serial Number stamped on the chassis somewhere up front, under the front fender. Usually close to the steering stem.

From 1987-1993, the High/Low/Reverse shifter was located on top of the front left fender, thus it had a different shaped front rack that shaped around this shifter box.
In 1997 Yamaha changed the front bumber design and fenders. Also in 1997, Yamaha introduced a newer generation 350 BigBear without Low range(which oddly had the older style fenders). The Dual Range model was still available though, and it became the Big Bear Special Edition, with the newer designed fenders.

Dezz
GrizzMann
Mud Monster
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/05 09:31:51
That machine looks in great shape.
cc1824
Trail Rider
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/05 10:23:56
If you can find a serial # on the frame, usually the year is the 9th number from the end of the serial #. 
undisputedattitude
Super Swamper
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/05 14:08:26
I had an identical one that was a 91.
Dezz
Respected Member
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/05 14:45:36
I called my dealer again and the Serial Number is located on the LEFT Lower frame rail (left from sitting on the machine), just ahead of the engine. Clean the frame and you should easily find it stamped in it.

Dezz
guiltysavior
Dirt Monster
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/05 19:05:58
Thanks for all your replies guys.  Im about to go out there now and work on it, its just been wayyy to hot to do anything today.
guiltysavior
Dirt Monster
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/07 00:34:19
Actually, its a 97 model.  At least thats what the serial number indicates.
GrizzMann
Mud Monster
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/07 10:43:33
   If its a 97 I wouldnt keep it,  its junk.  I mean junk, in fact I would sell it to me.  Please let me take that junk off your hands.

Im only kidding.....But I would be glad to take it off your hands.
leed1315
Mud Pro
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/08/07 12:00:40
I don't believe it is a 97 model because it has the hi low shifter. The 97-99 bb 350 was single range transmission. Deez has pretty much set it in line for you, and he usually does he is pretty good on these bikes. I'm going to say its a 96 because I parted out a 2wd with the same color fenders so maybe that was it for the 96. The only thing I thought was diferent about the 96 is that it had the fatter axle which required the axle nuts. I can see from the pick that your bike doesn't have this so maybe they stopped with the fatter axles in 95. Either way its a good clean looking bike.

Ok went back and checked and yes it is a 96. They did quit the fatter axles in 95. I think this should be a good thing for you because unless they just made that axle for the 96 only the 97-99 350 and 00-06 400 bb axle and rear diff will work for it. Which is a good thing because the older fatter axle and diff are usually a good deal more expensive.
post edited by leed1315 - 2009/08/07 12:20:58
NixDude
Grass Hog
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/10/20 09:01:59
I don't know about the fatness of the axle since you will have to have both years available to compare, but the easy way to determine if its pre-1995 or 1996 on, is that the 1995 and older had a rear disk brake, and the 1996 on has a drum brake.

From experience and slightly off topic, the rear end from a 1995 works ok on a 1996 (and probably vice versa) but you will have to take the rear brake system with it, and you will have to make yourself up a custom brake cable since the original one will have too much length, otherwise its a bolt on fit.   We had the 1995 rear end available, and personally I like the disk brake on the rear...it still works after much mud and water, and it seems to stop a lot better (makes me wonder why they went from disk to drum on the 1996 and newer model rearend...and to the the lighter axle...to make it cheaper I guess).

post edited by NixDude - 2009/10/20 09:33:03
chrisb76
Outlaw
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/10/20 09:42:57
yeah its a '96 or prior with the low range.that thing is a tank,and will spin bigger tires than 28's.i ride a kodiak with the lo range,and it spins 29.5 outlaws stock.
NixDude
Grass Hog
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/10/20 12:48:59
No kidding that is one pulling machine.

I found this vin (frame number) info for atv's.  It makes it easy to figure it out if you don't know your year model.

http://www.atvstyle.com/index.php/atv-vin-number

post edited by NixDude - 2009/10/20 12:50:05
leed1315
Mud Pro
Re:Help! What year model is this big bear? pics inside 2009/10/21 17:59:09
Actually the rear ends and axles will not interchange from a 95 to a 96. You may can switch the complet assembly swing arm and back but the axles and differentials are different and can not be mixed and matched. The 96 should intrchange with the 97-99 and very possibly the 00-06 400 big bear but not 95 back. the axles are much fatter as also is the ring gear. You can check a parts place to confirm this. The 95 back also use the axle nuts to tighten it on. This one does not. I will still say it is a 96.