Lockedsons kazuma 90 starting problem...

Trail Rider
2009/05/20 22:42:10
He tried to start it and all it does it make a vibrating noise from the stator (relay?).  I replaced (happened to have on hand!) the stator solenoid and the starter but it is doing the same thing.  I read that it could be the battery but I tried to jump it off to one of the other bikes and it didn't help.  Any ideas?
post edited by louisiana.brandon - 2009/05/20 22:44:13
mudder13
Mud Pro
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/20 22:47:38
you might want to check the plug. it could be shot. um, im not sure about the specific bike, but if its a vaccum opperated carb, you might wnat to check to make sure the vaccum line is hooked up on the petcok and carb. just some ideas.
Ormudboy09
Mud Master
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/21 17:20:28
Buy em a real fourwheeler such as a Popo Sportsman 90 . Oh wait kids eat them . so buy em a RZR 170
TonyAngel
Mud Bogger
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/21 18:05:50
Are you saying that the bike won't even turn over?  Were you able to localize the sound and tell exactly where is it coming from?  If you replaced all of those parts and all it does is vibrate without turning over, you might want to check and make sure that the motor isn't seized up or maybe something in the clutch blew up and is keeping it from turning.  Of course, that's just a guess without being able to hear it or see it for myself.

Does it sound like the starter is trying to turn the motor over, but is unable to?

I started my son out on one of those "made in china" knock off jobs too.  It seemed like I was always having to do something with it.  For the money, I couldn't complain, but it got old pretty quickly.  My son rides an Ozark 250 now.  He's much happier.
post edited by TonyAngel - 2009/05/21 18:07:28
louisiana.brandon
Trail Rider
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/21 22:08:40
He will get my wifes ozark in august but I was hoping this bike would last my 5 yr old daughter too... 

The sound is coming from the relay (thought it was called a stator) that connects to the starter.  The starter itself is not turning at all.  I'll pull the plug and check the carb also.
sbarnett
Mud Master
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/21 22:29:07
ive got 2 of those that do not fire up!!  its getting gas, fire,and air filter is clean still cant find the problem!!  so good luck
TonyAngel
Mud Bogger
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/21 23:00:14
Well, if the relay is clicking at least you know power is going to it.  Perhaps you can pull the starter and see if it spins when you hit the starter button.  If it spins, then it probably isn't the starter.  At that point, I'd pull the plug and then try to turn the engine over just to make sure that it isn't seized up.

I wouldn't go pulling the carb or anything like that.  What you are describing is a situation where the engine won't even turn over.  It should turn over even if the carb wasn't there at all.  Did the bike sit for any length of time since the last time it was running?
louisiana.brandon
Trail Rider
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/24 22:04:30
We were actually out riding it when he stalled it and never could get it to start back up...  he was just going up a hill, nothing major at all...  I'll pull the starter out tomorrow and see if it turns at all when trying to start.  How can I tell if the engine has seized?
phreebsd
Super Swamper
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/27 12:55:19
try tapping the starter first with a hammer.
TonyAngel
Mud Bogger
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/27 13:43:52
Tapping the starter with a hammer isn't a bad idea; but I do mean tap.  Not hammer on it.  I'm thinking that you should pull the starter first and see if it will turn because it's entirely possible that something is stopping the starter from engaging.  I'd look at the starter first.

As for the motor being seized up, it's a possibility, but unprobable.  That only happens if things go really bad, like leaked all of the oil out and kept running it.

gordo
Respected Member
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/27 16:02:31
I had one formy son at one time,,,, got about a year out of it,,,, it's fubar now,,,,disposable atv, ,,,,
MasterMudder
Mud Master
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/27 16:20:41
Yeah, Rip everything off it, And buy a new one, Sell the parts on ebay. You'll get like 200$ For everything.
Dawgriderdanny
Super Swamper
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/28 13:09:12
i had one way long ago and it would click and vibrate, found out it was the battery, and sometimes it would be a loose nut connection so cheak the wireing
Jake450s
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/28 17:56:48
louisiana.brandon

He tried to start it and all it does it make a vibrating noise from the stator (relay?).  I replaced (happened to have on hand!) the stator solenoid and the starter but it is doing the same thing.  I read that it could be the battery but I tried to jump it off to one of the other bikes and it didn't help.  Any ideas?

It sounds to me like voltage testing is in order.  I'll guess that since you dragged out the jumper cables before the volt meter that you are saving the volt meter for a last resort? 
Start by verifying a good complete and sound circuit for the starter.  Verify the following.  Battery positive post snug and clean connections, the starter relay connections are tight and clean, the positive wire on the starter is tight and clean, the starter and engine are clean where they bolt together, the engine ground wire is tight and clean, and the battery negative cable is tight and clean.
If all of the above are verified and it still acts the same with a different starter and a different relay, with or without a jump start, then you're gonna need the volt meter...  The buzzing BTW indicates to me that you have at least partial continuity throughout the circuit, that means that a test light is going to give you results that are false.  Or technically "true but misleading". 
newgrizzlylooking
Mud Master
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/05/29 11:11:12
My friends son has one and the remote kill switch was bad (I think it is a contactor like the winch remote units).  Try pulling that and bypassing it.  A new one is like $35.  He got it in, put it in, and now it runs (and kills) properly.
texastrailrider
Trail Rider
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/01 16:13:23
I had this exact problem with my son's hanma 110. It turned out to be the starter. I took it off and it would barely spin. Pulling the starter is where I would start.
louisiana.brandon
Trail Rider
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/15 15:23:05
I replaced the starter and it is doing the same - I think it may be a battery issue.  I got a replacement but it was the wrong size so I have another coming.  So far this little bike has been really good for my son (if it dies today I got my money out of it) but I hope I can get it going!  :)
louisiana.brandon
Trail Rider
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/19 06:10:03
K, I replaced the battery with a good working one, tried starting and the wiring burn from the battery to the solinoid.  I guess I put the wires on backwards at the solenoid but I'm not sure...  The 2 posts are not labeled.  Did I mention I was mechanically retarded?  I'm looking online to see if I can find a diagram of the wiring anywhere...
MasterMudder
Mud Master
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/19 06:34:18
Jake should chime in soon with a Diagram..
louisiana.brandon
Trail Rider
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/19 11:18:18
K, looks like I wired the solenoid wrong... go figure.  Anyone have one of these POS's they could look at and tell me how they have it wired?  According to web the solenoid should just have a positive from the battery and the wire to the starter.  So then where would the negative from the battery go?
Zeke_Griz
Mud Bogger
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/19 13:11:03
Not sure about your bike but starter solenoids usually ground through the body of the starter.  Don't normally have a ground "wire". 
Vamped750
Mud Master
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/19 21:38:32
headgaskets are bad about blowin on those china wheelers get u a 10 mm wrench and tighten the head bolts because i know they are loose all of them are

sbarnett

ive got 2 of those that do not fire up!!  its getting gas, fire,and air filter is clean still cant find the problem!!  so good luck

louisiana.brandon
Trail Rider
Re:sons kazuma 90 starting problem... 2009/06/24 13:24:45
K, who needs a shop when I have the Highlifter forum! (well, prob still me but not for this problem!)  K, I rewired some semi toasted wires, replaced the battery and then CORRECTLY wired the solenoid and viola!  It cranked right up!  Guess the garbage man doesn't get it this week!  :)