LockedCharles Daly 12 gauge shotgun

Trail Rider
2008/12/29 01:54:43
what do you guys think of a charles daly 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun?
I got one for christmas and i like i wanna know everyone elses opinions.
Kracka4Lyf
Trail Rider
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 07:15:07
I got one I won from a Hunt Club drawing, and it was the worst gun ive ever had. It would swell the shells after being fired, then would jam. Tried cleaning, still did the same thing. So I took it back to the dealer who sold it to the hunt club, and said owell. Well then I took it hunting one day, went to shoot, and it wouldn't fire. Needless to say it is at the bottom of the pond now, I couldn't pay someone to take it. But that just me experience. Hopefully I just got a lemon and yours will work flawlessly for you. Good Luck
longdude17
Mud Pro
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 07:38:34
the original charles daly semi autos were J-U-N-K....but i hear the new ones now a days are good guns and that they got all the kinks out...i got a friend that got one last year and we shoot trap every thursday and it does good...it does jam every now and again but that may be due to the CHEAP shells we shoot.
matcprat
Mud Bogger
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 07:54:19
I bought one last year.  I wanted a cheap semi-auto for duck hunting.  I'm kind of hard on shotguns that I duck hunt with.  It was the Charles Daly Maxi-Mag which shoots 3 1/2 inch shells.  I only kept it for the season, because it jammed constantly even with heavy loads.  I oil it lightly and heavily.  It didn't matter what I did, it jammed, especially if it was real cold.  It wouldn't ever shoot light loads.  I ended up finishing out the season with my old Remington 870.  I hated the Daly so much, I ended up traded it for a Stoeger 2000.  Maybe you will have better luck with yours.  I have a buddy with an older one and he's had pretty good luck with his. 
Polaris425
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 09:18:07
Interesting... I looked at an CD over & under last week I really liked, only it was near $1K. I guess you wouldnt have any of those problems w/ an over & under but...
Bootlegger
Super Swamper
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 09:19:19
I like them...
cambocan
Trail Rider
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 14:36:39
mine does jam a little not much i use for clay shootin and deer huntin mainly if i have problems with it ill have it checked on at a gunsmith ive got a spare 12 gauge anyways pump winchester
farmerboy700
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 15:33:51
i bought one and after it fell apart in 3 peices after shootin i go me a benelli superback eagle and havent looked back!! but im just talkin from experience[&o]
matcprat
Mud Bogger
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 17:59:11
ORIGINAL: Polaris425

Interesting... I looked at an CD over & under last week I really liked, only it was near $1K. I guess you wouldnt have any of those problems w/ an over & under but...

Just about any over and under is expensive.  I would really like to have one, but I'm gonna wait a while.  I'm eyeing a doublebarrell for now.  The Stoger 2000 that I've got is basically a Benneli.  The actions both work off of inertia and the chokes are the same.
Polaris425
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 19:02:45
ORIGINAL: matcprat

ORIGINAL: Polaris425

Just about any over and under is expensive.  I would really like to have one, but I'm gonna wait a while.  I'm eyeing a doublebarrell for now.  The Stoger 2000 that I've got is basically a Benneli.  The actions both work off of inertia and the chokes are the same.

Doesnt benneli own stoger?
matcprat
Mud Bogger
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 20:18:55
Not really sure.  I know that Stogers are made in Turkey.
cambocan
Trail Rider
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 21:11:31
i have an over under stoeger to go with my new charles daly also
rancher400mudder
Mud Maniac
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 22:13:40
just like matcprat said, i wanted a cheap gun that i could use duck hunting and not worry about it. i throw mine in the boat, truck bed and been in the bottom of a duck pond a many a time. i got it dec 22 last year and never gave me any problems until friday morning when i went on a guided pheasant hunt. it jammed one and couldn't get the shell out. i used a screw driver to pry it out and now the action won't stay open. i pull it back and it just shuts itself. i assume something is broke but idk. i took it apart tonight, but don't see anything wrong. i guess the gunsmith has a job for tomorrow. but anyways, it is by far my favorite gun. i have a remington 1100 and 870 and a old browning ag-500. the daly is sooo much lighter than any of those guns and doesn't kick nearly as bad. i just hope it can easily be fixed and other than the situation friday, would recomend one to anyone. for any purpose.
bamasport
Trail Rider
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 22:20:47
just like most anything else you get what you pay for. Benelli is a great gun and some models can be had for around or under $400
Turkeyboy
Mud Slinger
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/29 23:28:00
hmm i must have got the only good one in the batch i bought one of the first field hunter auto's that came out and not a minutes trouble out of it its beat to death and sstill works flawlessly
cambocan
Trail Rider
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/30 01:14:00
yea turkeyboy i thought i would get a better review about my gun but sounds like everyone has gotten a horrible gun while theres been maybe 3 people say theres worked right so well mine works fine and everything so whats really going on with everyone elses
matcprat
Mud Bogger
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/30 07:24:59
I don't have a single clue as to what was wrong with mine.  Like I mentioned, I tried lots of oil, very little oil, just about no oil, and even tried different types of oil to make the action function better.  It doesn't matter though.  I have a buddy that has one of the older ones and he hasn't had many issues.  His only shot 3 inch shells.  Like I said, maybe you will have better luck and I hope you do.[;)]  Maybe some of these guns are like the old story you here about cars.  I guess my old one was built on a Friday.  LOL[:D]
eigerlifter
Trail Rider
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/30 09:30:05
I got a Daly simi auto a couple years ago. I liked the feel of the gun but mine hung up the spent shells all the time. Imagine the frustration of a group of greenheads trying to land on you and getting one shot. It almost ended up in the water several times. I finally e-mailed Daly about it. They told me to send it in. They did some work on the reciever at no cost to me and to this day has not hung a shell yet, after hundreds of rounds. Plus the gun is warranted for life if anything ever messes up. Needless to say this is my wet and dirty duck gun of choice now. Just fill out the registration paperwork and you are covered
2000trx300
Mud Pro
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/30 10:24:55
i have a mossberg 12 ga pump... and i really like it...
but talkin about over/unders i have a spartan 20 ga over/under and i like it but when i shoot skeet i hit between 18-20 out of 25 with it but when i use my dads 12 ga beretta i hit 23-25 with it.....i have only shot one charles daly and i didnt like it...it jammed too much...but JMO...
Polaris425
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/30 11:27:03
I looked at a beretta O&U as well... really pretty gun. I found a few yesterday in Bessemer at a shop that I really liked, but sheesh they were like $1300 and $1500. It all just depends on what the tax return looks like, as to what I will get.
Puddle Jumper
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/30 13:03:25
I got a 3" simi auto daly I had it for years. I had a little problems with it and I sent it back to the daly company, and they fixed it for with no problems.
I just paid shipping for it
Polaris425
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2008/12/30 17:33:17
This is what I want

It's made by CZ.

Chambered for shells up to -- 3 in
Weight --------------------- 7.7 lbs
Barrel Length --------------- 26 in
Rib ------------------------- 0.3 in
Length of pull --------------- 14.5 in
Comb ----------------------- 1.5 in
Heel ------------------------ 2.5 in

Features:
Fore-end ------------------------ Schnable
Chokes -------------------------- Multi
Auto ejector --------------------- Yes
Barrel Finish ---------------------- Polished
Receiver Finish ------------------- Case Hardened
Bull plate ------------------------- Sporting Clays Style
Stock Type ----------------------- Round knob
Trigger type ---------------------- Single
Safety elements, safety ----------- Manual

Also, I just bought a CZ-USA 452  in .22 LR. Its a little bolt action 22LR really nice little rifle, looks and feels better than any of the big name brands I looked at. And I paid much less for it. They shoot great. This is the .22LR I bought:

post edited by Polaris425 - 2008/12/30 17:39:26
Polaris425
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2009/01/01 11:10:49
Anyone have a Fanchi? Made in italy imported by Benelli...  They are good looking guns.

2000trx300
Mud Pro
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2009/01/02 13:25:44
franchi is a very good gun....
my dads friend has one and it is a very sweet shooting gun...
i would get a berreta or a franchi if you have that kinda money....
sTa
Super Swamper
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2009/01/02 13:32:12
I love my breatta xtrema 2 its has never let me down not once. If you buy a good gun it dual as a boat paddle when your in a tight spot [;)].
Polaris425
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun 2009/01/02 14:25:07
I found a good deal local on a franchi but I cant find it on there website. It looks like the reniassance but it doesnt have a polished finish like the one pictured.