Lockedrubicon problem help please

Mud Master
2008/09/11 11:52:46
just bought it guy says wife was riindg it an it just quit pulling any ieas before i tear it down would be greatly appreciated
toodeep
Outlaw
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/11 12:25:40
test the oil pressure, the oil pump chain could be bad and fell off.
jasongraham
Mud Master
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/11 21:30:08
it runs fine just wont move i know it has that hondamatic pump but its 1400bucks ill part  it out befor i spen that so help me out please
Outlaw Extremist
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/11 21:55:57
It sounds like the oil pump drive chain may have fallen off the sprocket. When this happens, there is zero oil pressure. This transmission runs off oil pressure and no oil pressure = no movement. That said, the real problem is that no oil pressure = no lubrication for the engine. That is not good.

STOP RUNNING THE ENGINE IMMEDIATELY OR YOU RISK SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE

The official procedure to verify if the oil pump drive chain has fallen off is to perform an oil pressure test with a gauge and special fittings. The test only takes a minute and will confirm this condition right away. But really, why bother? I'll give you and all other Rubicon owners a neat little trick that will tell you in about 30 seconds if the oil pump chain has fallen off. Just make sure you follow this warning...

***** THE RUBICON'S OIL PUMP PUTS OUT 150+ PSI OF OIL PRESSURE. MAKE SURE THAT NO ONE IS AROUND THE TEST PORT AREA. ALSO, COVER THE TEST PORT AREA WITH A BUCKET IN CASE THE OIL PUMP DRIVE CHAIN HAS NOT FALLEN OFF *****

Look to the left front side of the engine for a small bolt. This is the oil pressure test port sealing bolt. Remove this bolt. Usually, this bolt is removed and an oil pressure gauge is screwed into the engine block. You don't have an oil pressure gauge, so what we'll do is simply cover the test port with a bucket (in case the oil pump chain has not fallen off) and start the engine for 5 seconds. It's very simple - if oil shoots out of the hole, the oil pump chain has not derailed and there is another problem with your Rubicon. If no oil comes out of the hole, the oil pump chain has fallen off the sprocket. Here is the location of the test port sealing bolt.

Maynard80
Trail Rider
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/11 22:03:45
oil pump drive chain 100%  Bought mine the same way for $450 and was riding it a week later.
JCR680
Puddle Jumper
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/12 06:11:07
Sweet, for you guys anyway. I almost feel bad for the guys that sold it but they should have looked into it more I would have. Good post though I will have to give this in mind for when time comes on mine.
jasongraham
Mud Master
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/17 11:34:59
hey fellows, sorry it has taken so long on the reply, but thanks for all your help.  It doesn't have any oil pressure so i am guessing oil pump chain must be the problem.  Now the question is what do i have to do to get to the oil pump...i am familiar with the rancher and foreman engines and am an atv mechanic, but i've never worked on a rubicon.
Maynard80
Trail Rider
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/17 12:59:59
Pull the front drive shaft, oil tank, shift motor, and front engine cover.  Then the clutch will have to be removed and your there.  Put the new chain on and put it all back together.  I did mine in less than a day and that's including rebuilding the clutch and putting the outlaw clutch kit in which is a pain in the rear to stretch the new springs (that took most of the time).  Good luck and if I was you and your going to go with a more aggresive tire I would also put the outlaw clutch kit in while your there..
jasongraham
Mud Master
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/17 22:15:45
thanks maynard80 that tank in the front made it look like maybe theres more behind it i know the 450 i can tear down in no time guess well see monay on my day off

Maynard80
Trail Rider
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/17 23:15:38
No problem man, hope it goes well for you..
Rdh605
Mud Maniac
RE: rubicon problem help please 2008/09/18 10:18:25
Take some pics and put up a "how to" for the rest of us Ruby owners![:D]