LockedHOT SHOT DRIVERS????

Is anyone here a hot shot driver? like basically with a diesel truck such as a ram or ford/chevy 2500/3500 and a tralier

I have some questions

What do you need to get started?

I turn 18 next month and i would like to try something new.

Do you liek the job?

how do you go about getting the load and everything?

what licenses would i need? and is it better to work for a company or be a owner operator
big tony
Outlaw
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/09 20:59:46
pm TXHOTSHOT, he ran for a while, still does a little
rancherrider
Mud Monster
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/09 21:54:58
im not a hot shot driver but i work for an oilfield company and i deal with drivers on a daily basis.  to get started you need to take the test for your cdl. its a written test then a driving portion.  and it has pros/cons of being a owner/operator or working for a company.  if you own your rig, you have to pay for breakdowns, gas etc. and if you drive for someone or a company you dont have to worry about those things, but you make a little less.  and if you like to drive and see the country then its the perfect job.
onetondodge
Trail Rider
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/09 23:13:28
You said you are just turning 18.  You will only be able to travel inrastate (inside the TX state lines).  At least that is what I found out in when I got my CDL before I turned 21.
TXHOTSHOT
Mud Master
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/10 01:57:10
Ah one more hotshot driver ehh.... Ok I dont really like helping people alot anymore because really being as how you are in spring you would just be another driver out there taking loads from me but I am nice and you are on the forum so I will do what I can... I have actually had numerous guys your age ask me this same question... Now for 1 as far as I have been told recently is that they bumped the age up to 21 to recieve your CDL... If not just like as stated before if you are still allowed to obtain it at 18 you will only be allowed to travel inside the state of texas.... I recived mine when I was 18... Also this is a very costly job to just jump into... I invested about 15,000 not counting the truck when I first begun and no telling how much since then... Also being your age you also have to have commercial insurance... At your age your looking in the ball park of atleast 700 bucks a month thats a million dollars liability and about 200 hundred thousand load coverage... Oh man really I could go on about this for hours... Honestly it will be very difficult for you to obtain a job with a company (contract work) and even harder to establish relationships at companies to run there equipment... You have to realize that just about every company already has someone "hotshotting" there equipment around.... So what would you offer that company that is better than what they already have....????? Really if you are seriuos give me a call at 281-686-7233 and I will explain everything to you there is still a whole lot more to this than I have even gotten into for example DOT they will not be your freinds... just give me a buzz if you are serious, I doubt I can do anything other than explain to you how this all works being as how you are so young I doubt there is much you can do now. Most companies have age requirements of 21, 23, or 25 minimal... This is mainly due to the insurance
post edited by TXHOTSHOT - 2008/03/10 01:59:12
Jake450s
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/10 17:29:36
If you're 18, my best suggestion is don't even try...  But definately try to get yourself ready.  See if you can't snag a job at a beverage distributing company, an in state delivery company, maybe a towing company if they're doing heavy medium or heavy.  Learn the ropes on somebody else's truck.  At 21 you'll have a much better chance at making it on your own as you won't be restricted out of so much.
By then you'll figure out that the "hotshot" money isn't really in the one ton trucks any more except for a very select few, as slapping in bigger springs and an axle won't get you by DOT/DMV regs any more.  You really need a two ton or better truck to do this.  No "truck drivin" stuff now, I'm still talking nice interiors, AM/FM/CD, AC, PS, PW, PL five or six speed fully synchronized transmissions, many these days are automatic's, juice brakes unless you prefer air, etc.  Big pickup trucks.  In th big scheme, these hardly cost any more than a one ton that's been made ready for hot shotting, they live longer and do better on fuel if you keep them loaded which of course would be the general plan...

gotmuddy
Respected Member
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/10 18:41:40
Working for yourself wont make you much money anymore, not with fuel approaching $4 a gal.
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/10 20:35:40
Yeah cody that what im worried about...diesel is 3.71 a galon here right now.

This is just something im looking into.
08 kitty kat
Dirt Monster
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/10 20:47:21
you have to be 21 to get a class a cdl and thats what you have to have to drive a hotshot. trust me, i found out the hard way that you had to have a class a cdl. those tickets are not cheap either. i did it for about 2 yrs and moved up to an 18 wheeler. most of the hotshots ride rough as heck anyway.
TXHOTSHOT
Mud Master
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/11 00:54:53
Wow well it seems like everyone has there own opinion... It is true that it is hard to make it in hotshot and its really who you know bottom line... If you run for yourself, you have to have your own authority I am not going to explain that because it takes to long but basically if you had your own company and you ran for somebody a decent going rate ON YOUR OWN with nobody dipping there hands in the kitty is about 2.30 a mile going one way.... If you got lucky enough to have a backhaul thats at 50% your going rate so 1.15 coming back.... For funny lets say you had a run into OK from houston and its 500 miles there with a return load.... >>>500 miles there is $1,150 there and coming back at the 50% rate is $575 so total that is $1,725 now any driver can legally do that in 2 days.... Now yes you did travel 1,000 miles... Now most average 1 tons pulling a gooseneck gets about 10 miles to the gallon I get more but we will go on average for this... so 10mpg and 1,000 miles thats 100 gallons of fuel... So 100 gallons @3.71 is 371.00 Now yall correst me if I am wrong..... So you just made about $1,354 in 2 days after your immediate expense.... Thats not to shabby at all some people barely make that in a month and you made it in 2 days....

Now I know that sounds good but you also have to look at the big picture you will not always have back hauls you will only recieve them about 10-15% of the time if you are lucky but this was just an example... You also have wear and tear on the truck, and insurance and wear and tear on your trailer to take into factor as well I always saved atleast 20% of everything for that just in case... Also truck payments and everything else without the backhaul you would of made $779 so still that is not to bad... The only thing is you have to constantly keep working it is a hard job and a hard life to live but if you work hard you can excell and do better....

Also yeah fuel is high but why complain there is nothing you can do about it... Plus its not that big of a deal.... I have about a 30 gallon tank on my truck ....
@3.00 a gallon it costs 90.00 to fill
@3.50 a gallon it costs 105.00 to fill
@4.00 a gallon it costs 120.00 to fill

Really the amount that fluctuates is not that much yes in the big picture over a year it makes a difference... I see it like this just dont go out and eat or cut back on something else the price is the price and as consumers there is not alot else we can do about it other than adjust our lifestyles and cut back on something else to afford it... We all have to drive...

I actually carry a 108 gallon transfer tank in my truck so when I do find it really cheap somewhere or I am in another state with lower fuel taxes I just fill it all up there...

B.W.L 500
Outlaw
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/03/11 16:03:52
My grandpa does,with a Chevy 3500 Duramax with a fith wheel,not sure on length or width.

hey,how old do you have to be to start hauling off the bed of your truck?????
o5fore
Super Swamper
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/01 22:14:24
ORIGINAL: 08 kitty kat

you have to be 21 to get a class a cdl and thats what you have to have to drive a hotshot. trust me, i found out the hard way that you had to have a class a cdl. those tickets are not cheap either. i did it for about 2 yrs and moved up to an 18 wheeler. most of the hotshots ride rough as heck anyway.
  you dont have to have a cdl to hotshot  if your under 26000 i know a few people who do it they just got a one ton and a trailer and some haul for oil companies some for pallots as long as your under the weight limit depends oon what you want to haul
kilgorehogtrapper
Super Swamper
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/01 22:37:21
start slow , work for people driving their vans around chasing trucks or whatever.

i dont know what the name for that job is but im sure its an easy way to get started....
gotmuddy
Respected Member
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/02 09:42:51
if your making a payment on a truck and a payment on a trailer you wont make any money

BruteMan750
Mud Monster
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/02 10:39:30
James...Speaking from experience. I would look for a used medium duty Freightliner or International with a 24' flatbed...There very low maintenance and cheaper to operate. If your just set on a trailer I have a very nice 2008 40' PJ Trailer Gooseneck. It's rigged out and ready to roll, It's commercially inspected.
gotmuddy
Respected Member
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/02 10:50:35
he would need a CDL for that
BruteMan750
Mud Monster
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/02 11:10:12
ORIGINAL: gotmuddy

he would need a CDL for that

Not if he purchased a truck that didn't gross 33,000 and was not equipped with air brakes.
buggin450s
Mud Master
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/02 13:30:19
The way I understand it: If he's over 26,000# GCWR, or if he's towing over 10,000# GVWR, then a CDL is required. Airbrakes are an endorsement here in MS which require a separent test, not so sure about TX.
post edited by buggin450s - 2008/09/02 13:38:10
Jake450s
RE: HOT SHOT DRIVERS???? 2008/09/02 17:29:52
First off, this is federal.  All states are at least this restrictive.  Some states are more restrictive.  If you meet your state and meet federal, you can drive in ANY state, even if the other state is more restrictive.

So, for the federal and majority of state rules

If the GVWR (that is the RATING, not the registered or actual weight) is over 26000 pounds with NO trailer, it's class B.
If the GCWR (that is the combined RATING, not registered or actual weight) is over 26000 pounds AND the trailer is over 10,000 pounds, it becomes class A.
If the GCWR is 26000 pounds or less, no CDL is required regardless of the trailers GVWR.
If you have a load on a hauler that does not require a CDL by weight, but requires plackarding, you will have to get a class D CDL which is essentially a "regular" driver's license but is able to accept commercial endorsements.  (Hazmat in this case).

Also note-  None of the above has any classification about air brakes.  Air brakes are NOT an endorsement or a requirement of a CDL.  They are only a restriction if you fail to demonstrate a mastry of them during the skills exam.  Below CDL weight, air brakes does not affect licensing. 
Again, a few states are more restrictive in a lot of areas, a couple are more restrictive in a lot of areas, but this is the federal standard that states are held to.
post edited by Jake450s - 2008/09/02 17:46:37