LockedSportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800

Trail Rider
2007/08/20 17:44:08
I’m going to be buying new atvs very soon and I'm picking between these 3...

Polaris - Sportsman 800
Yamaha - Grizzly 700 EPS
Can-am - Outlander 800

I’ve read a few articles that compare the sportsman with the outlander, but I haven’t found much on the grizzly. I was given two Pioneer 300cc quads recently and they have been fun to learn on but very slow and basic so it’s time to upgrade.

I mainly ride on trails where some parts are open and other parts require slow technical movements around trees, logs, etc. Also the occasional rock crawl and gravel trails with mud pits (i pretty much ride in every type of terrain). Power and speed are important to me, but being comfortable and being able to get through any terrain is the ultimate goal (i.e. torque and power are more important then top end speed).

Any other quads I should consider besides the three listed above?

Thanks in advance...
Gearslayer
Super Swamper
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 19:48:56
You know what we're gonna say. [;)]
probus
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 19:56:58
to tell you the truth they are all great bikes. it is time to face it, everyone makes a good bike nowadays, just depends on what you like better for yourself. you see what i went with.
loudelectronics
Super Swamper
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 21:22:05
Well the poo will burn lots of belts if you dont know how to drive it.  The outlander is going to need skid plates.  The grizz needs tires, well all three need tires.  The grizz will be more user friendly and less maintinance.  The OL has more power, yada yada.  We could do this all night.  The grizz is the best all around machine out of those three.  I say buy the grizz, but you really need to drive them all and look at some used bikes.  You will see why we all drive yamaha.
Nighthunter700
Trail Rider
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 22:04:02
 I drove a OL 800, it was sooooo powerfull! Lots of fun in a straight line, BUT.......... It handles like a farm wagon compared to my Grizz and It seemed like it takes three times the distance to stop compared to the Grizz. I kinda scared myself when I used the brakes on it for the first time. When we were in the muskeg the visco lock diff was useless compared to yamaha's set up. Out of all the Bikes in our group ( popo 800, OL 800, Grizz 700, BF750, Cat 500?) The Grizz and The popo were the only ones that i would bet money one making it back to the trucks after the end of the week! Everyone complains on how heavy the popo is, but it has so much power it just launches out of the holes and works great to pull the dead ones back to the truck [;)]
Westslope
Mud Bogger
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 22:24:41
IMHO for someone that rides every type of terrain you will need a locking differential. There is no substitute for it in the rocks and logs.

In the end there is really no question on the best "all round" quad.
La_MigraTx
Outlaw
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 22:46:14
From what you described I would buy the Grizz 700. You will not get three things with the Grizz 700, that you will with the Outlander 800. 1) power, the power is a night and day difference. However, the Grizz 700 has more than enough power to tackle any terrain you described. 800cc is an overkill for what you described. 2) Comfort, the Outlander is twice as comfortable as the Grizz 700. 3) stability, the Outlander is much more stable than the Grizz 700. Now you will get one of the best traction system on the market, the best steering around, an overall ride you will not feel tired at the end of the day, great intakes both CVT and air box. Out of the box all you need is a good set of aftermarket tires and wheels to drop the ride height, and increase the stability.

The Sportsman 800 is right there, but it does lose me in its big bulky tank feel, and its small 4.1gallon fuel tank. Power wise there is a huge difference between the Outty and Polaris, but again the Polaris just like the Grizz has more than enough power too tackle the terrain you described. The Traction system is one of the best just like the Grizz. The ride and comfort as well as the stability is just as good as the Outlander, and twice as good as the Grizz 700. Awesome storage, and a great overall machine minus the big bulky, doggy power feel to me. Out of the box, and the terrain you described you will need zero mods, other than snorkeling the radiator overflow container

The Outty 800 is really a good overall package, minus the traction system. Other than that its super comfortable, super stable, and nothing compares to the power as of right now. No doubt you will need skid plates for this machine, in stock form this frame will not hold up. The Outlander is a very nice machine, but for what you described I wouldn't get an Outty 800, I would look at the 650 or even the 500. The ground clearance doesn't even come close to the Grizz 700 either, you will need to run much larger tires to get the GC up.

Again from what you described an overall package quad, and I had to pick one machine I would seriously look at the Grizz 700, but if you want that insane power than the Oultander is the choice, and you can compenstate for the traction system if you want. Just depends what is important too you.
La_MigraTx
Outlaw
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 22:49:25
ORIGINAL: Nighthunter700

I drove a OL 800, it was sooooo powerfull! Lots of fun in a straight line, BUT.......... It handles like a farm wagon compared to my Grizz and It seemed like it takes three times the distance to stop compared to the Grizz. I kinda scared myself when I used the brakes on it for the first time. When we were in the muskeg the visco lock diff was useless compared to yamaha's set up. Out of all the Bikes in our group ( popo 800, OL 800, Grizz 700, BF750, Cat 500?) The Grizz and The popo were the only ones that i would bet money one making it back to the trucks after the end of the week! Everyone complains on how heavy the popo is, but it has so much power it just launches out of the holes and works great to pull the dead ones back to the truck [;)]

I agree on the Popo. Hands down out of all the machines I have ridden and own, the Sportsman and Grizzly are my two favorites. I used to bag on the Polaris weight, bad move, it actually has alot of benefits. I am about too write an article between the Sportsman super heavy weight, and Grizzly super light weight, there is a night and day difference between the two some good, some bad.
JS
Mud Pro
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/20 22:58:53
Do you really want a PULLARASS?   Or a Canned Ham?  Get the GRIZZLY !!!!  [;)]        [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
htownmudder
Mud Pro
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/21 07:38:51
woohoo yall sed the popo and the grizz are the best!!!gotta tell my friend this...

and honestly...i would get the popo but i ride in mud.......

for you i would ride the popo and ride the grizz....see which one fits ya right.cause popos are comfy and so are grizzlys and both have power...so just pick one...
AlaskaGrizz
Outlaw
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/21 14:10:58
I heard about the poor ground clearance on the 800 outy but didn't realize how bad it is till I did a 50 mile ride with a guy on a 07 last week. He was getting hungup on all kinds of stuff. He didn't have any skid plate either, I was just cringing everytime I looked at him beating up that frame. Seeing how there was nowhere he could get above 40MPH I walked all over him in every way all day long. There ain't no 800 outy in this boys future.[;)]
Dennis
Mud Pro
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/21 14:53:30
GRIZZLY 700, the only way [;)]
redrockmudder
Mud Maniac
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/22 17:01:20
well i had popo 700 and switched to grizzly. i am really glad i went with the Grizz. i rode the outlander and it was powerful but i know too many people having problems out of the outlander. the outlander dont have quick enough locking diff and when it kicks in it jerks and not good on technical stuff. the waterpumps have been going out and they have to take the motor apart to fix it. front springs and brakes go out within 300 miles. popo is good in the mud but requires lots of work to keep it up cause the seals such as diff seals arent designed good. the grizz is only a tad front end light but not as bad with winch. the grizz has plenty of power and rides awesome.
mudman69
Mud Bogger
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/23 09:17:04
well i had popo 700 and switched to grizzly. i am really glad i went with the Grizz. i rode the outlander and it was powerful but i know too many people having problems out of the outlander. the outlander dont have quick enough locking diff and when it kicks in it jerks and not good on technical stuff. the waterpumps have been going out and they have to take the motor apart to fix it. front springs and brakes go out within 300 miles. popo is good in the mud but requires lots of work to keep it up cause the seals such as diff seals arent designed good. the grizz is only a tad front end light but not as bad with winch. the grizz has plenty of power and rides awesome.

I just have to wade in on this one. 

First Polaris:  nice smooth ride. thats about it.  Not many people around here ride popos because once ya get into the muskeg they burn belts pretty often.  2 spare belts for a days ride is common equipment on popos around here.

Second Outlander:  I agree with the visco not locking fast enough, makes slow rocky hillclimbs a pucker inducing experience, apparently the 08s are getting a fix for that, but I don't know for sure.  I don't know about any waterpump problem, I know a lot of people that ride can-ams and have never heard that one.  The front springs are a tad soft, however, they have addressed that problem and the replacements are a lot better (swap covered under warranty).  And with the brakes, I haven't heard anyone say they have had brake problems.  I have about 1000k (600 miles) on my Outty and have never had a problem with my brakes whatsoever. Third Grizzly:  I have only ridden a new Grizz a couple of times.  The suspension feels mushy and tippy.  Kinda scared me a couple of times when cornering hard.  Engine braking seemed kinda weak.  The power was adequate but definitly nothing special.  That is about all the gripes I found on my short time on it.  Really liked the power steering though, I hope all brands eventually incorporate that into their atvs, I'm sure it will reduce fatigue on a long day of riding. 
probus
Outlaw Extremist
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/23 09:27:09
i am sure in the next few years they will all have power steering optional.
GrizKo
Mud Pro
RE: Sportsman 800 vs Grizzly 700 vs Outlander 800 2007/08/23 12:37:13
ORIGINAL: probus

i am sure in the next few years they will all have power steering optional.
That would be a nice option on all bikes.
post edited by GrizKo - 2007/08/23 12:40:27
Flat Reading Mode Thread Reading Mode