Locked500 HO water pump issues

Grass Hog
2007/08/08 15:13:57
I havean 06 sportsman 500 HO. I've rode the dog crap out of it & it performs great! However this weekend I noticed it leaking coolant from the weep hole in the water pump. I nad some coolant & kept it full. Now it won't run 5-10 min normal cruising without getting hot. I fear the pump is no longer pumping. Has anyone esle had this issue Or rebulit one? Any help & tips I would appreciate.

Rob
sacul
Mud Maniac
RE: 500 HO water pump issues 2007/08/08 15:52:09
the seal is worn out.  i've replaced mine   twice in under a year.  about 3 months apart from each other actually.  the last time i had the dealer flush the entire system and so far so good. if its still under warranty its covered.  but thats what it is.  and needs to be fixed asap.  i personally wouldn't ride it until its fixed.
alwaysbroke
Mud Pro
RE: 500 HO water pump issues 2007/08/09 09:06:31
After you get your seal replaced make sure you snorkel your overflow bottle.

I took the lazy way out and orderd my kit here:
http://www.captainhooks.atvtrailguide.com/

If you have a hardware store close to you, you could probably do it all for $5 or less. I don't have a hardware store near me.

mud monkey 7-4-80
Mud Monster
RE: 500 HO water pump issues 2007/08/09 11:48:42
I changed my seal, but be careful of the oil seal behind the water pump seal.  I damaged mine while doing it.  i stopped the coolant leak, but in turn I had oil coming out of the weep hole. 
SouthernMudder
Outlaw Extremist
RE: 500 HO water pump issues 2007/08/09 12:41:54
I think I need to replace my water pump seal also.  I notced that my Resivor was empty when I was workin on her about 3 weeks ago.  Filled it with water.  Went on a ride this past friday and it was empty again, So I filled it up again and it was half way empty by the end of the day(didn't ride much because I was having other problem's also).  Im relocating my radiator so where is the water pump?
SouthernMudder
Outlaw Extremist
RE: 500 HO water pump issues 2007/08/09 12:43:54
I think I need to replace my water pump seal also.  I notced that my Resivor was empty when I was workin on her about 3 weeks ago.  Filled it with water.  Went on a ride this past friday and it was empty again, So I filled it up again and it was half way empty by the end of the day(didn't ride much because I was having other problem's also).  Im relocating my radiator so where is the water pump?
runnwo
Mud Bogger
RE: 500 HO water pump issues 2007/08/10 12:14:49
might just be the nuct backed off.  I have my engine hopped up,  my engine accelerates so fast it will spin the nut off.  I have to locktight it on.
vammudpol
Mud Maniac
RE: 500 HO water pump issues 2007/08/10 15:38:19
Its the mechanical seal, thats the most replaced part on a polaris I believe. I just changed mine 2-weeks ago.. Thats the fourth time since Ive had my bike.[:(]