LockedSwisher Front bucket loader

Puddle Jumper
2007/07/21 05:55:10
I have been looking at the Swisher front bucket loader to move dirt and clean out bar ditches. Has anyone owned or used these ? Just looking for some feedback.
Jake450s
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/21 06:47:18
An ATV really isn't heavy enough to be a bucket loader.  I liken them more to a lawn tractor wagon that yiou don't have to worry about backing up.  They're rough as can be on ball joints, I can't envision them being "good" for any front end, but they definately work if you aren't digging in anything hard.  A local landscape company uses one a good deal, but mostly for mulch and topsoil that are shoveled in, shoveled out.  It'll pick up off the piles just fine, but actually digging is usually asking a bit much. 
If that suits your needs, I'd recommend it in a minute.  The construction is good, the attachment wears ball joints if it's used a bunch, but is very stout such that it's hard to "break" anything,  then there's several other fairly usefull tools in the lineup.
dwoftx
Puddle Jumper
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/22 09:46:50
Jake,
Thanks for the reply. I don't really plan to use it like a skid loader, just to move loose dirt and level drive. It sure seems like it would be better than a shovel.
Thanks
micheal
Mud Pro
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/22 09:52:53
Can you tell me where you found one. I looked on there site but didnt notice that they had a fronot bucket.

Hey tell you what you go ahead a buy it and I can borrow it since your basically just a city over from me.

Maybe we can get togehter on a ride.
dwoftx
Puddle Jumper
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/23 05:35:03
Micheal,
The best price I have found is at Tractor Supply. They have the mount and bucket. Together it will run about $500.00
but they really look stout. As Jake mentioned, it seems to be a well made unit. Sounds good about the ride.   
svon89
Trail Rider
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/23 08:19:50
I have been considering the idea for a little while now.  I planned on building one that used the snow plow mount and instead of using the winch to lift the weight, I planned to make a setup using the winch to lift a pair of wheels that would support the weight.  The idea is similar to the idea used to support the large front mounted snow blowers for atvs.  The machine can't handle the weight of the engine and blower, so the wheels are on a pivot and when the winch lifts, the wheels go down and lift the front implement. 

Here is a link:
http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/atv-snowblower-pictures.htm
Jake450s
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/23 18:13:29
I'd bet the winch could lift that, and very easily if they'd put a little engineering (pretty much just a lever) into a lift system something like what actuates the wheels.  What I REALLY like about that is the parts of the front end that are being spared a boat load of abuse by sharing the weight with another set of wheels.  If you're going to do it, I think you're probably onto somethng there.
dwoftx
Puddle Jumper
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/29 20:21:48
No one else have any experience using one of these?
Yellowsportsman
Mud Maniac
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/07/29 21:16:02
I don't have any personal experence with one, but I did sell a couple of them when I worked for L&M supply. The people that I sold them too said that they worked well for moving loose gravel, and lighter materals. For those that have never seen one go to http://www.swisherinc.com/dump_bucket.asp.
KawaKevin
Dirt Monster
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/03 11:51:10
I have the Swisher bucket and mount on my bike now and i am using it to dig a 30' x 40' 2" deep hole for my pool the thing works great. The handle that locks the bucket .... the spring gets week after some use.... but it does good for moving durt and rocks around. Sears has the best price. Will post pictures tonight of it.
dwoftx
Puddle Jumper
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/03 12:27:18
That is great to hear. I have been holding out to get that kind of reply. I understand that it has it's limitations but it should sure beat  a shovel 
KawaKevin
Dirt Monster
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/03 22:33:53
micheal
Mud Pro
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/04 07:33:35
Great pics Kevin, it looks nice. I am in the same cituation as dwoftx, I have been waiting for someone with this type of info to share.

You say you got yours through Sears?
KawaKevin
Dirt Monster
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/04 10:36:36
yes .... when i got mine about a week ago and they were the cheapest. here is what i payed for it.

Universal ATV Dump B

Item #: 07129754000
Salescheck # 093001345656
Sale Date: 7/20/07
$332.49         
Expected Ship Date:8/1/07        
< RC #: 0097-7576-4289-3317
Item Total:     $332.49 
Special offer savings:   $ -49.87      
Online Only. Buy more and save more on your Power Lawn purchase.       
Item total after savings:        $ 282.62      

Universal ATV Mount
Item #: 07129757000
Salescheck # 093001345656
Sale Date: 7/20/07      
$132.99                
Expected Ship Date:8/1/07        
RC #: 0097-7576-4289-3317
Item Total:     $132.99 
Special offer savings:   $ -19.95      
Online Only. Buy more and save more on your Power Lawn purchase.       
Item total after savings:        $ 113.04      
Shipping Method: Standard

Initial subtotal:       $395.66        
Subtotal:       $395.66        
Sales Tax:      $29.94 
Shipping Charges:       $64.90 

Total:    $490.50

Total charged:   
$490.50

One more thing ..... spend the money on a good winch. It needs to have a break. Dont ask how I know this.[;)]
dwoftx
Puddle Jumper
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/05 07:09:49
Kevin,
 Thanks for the GREAT pictures and information. It appears that the mounting system hangs fairly low under the front of the ATV which would limit work to nearly flat and level ground or is that just an illusion? I have 200' of frontage that my drainage ditch has nearly filled in from all of the rains. I am just curious how limited I will be in the uses for the unit. I have enough other fill work to justify the purchase now anyhow.

Thanks for all your help 
KawaKevin
Dirt Monster
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/05 08:04:49
The instructions say that the mounting holes (where the bucket connects) should be 9" from the ground..... Now with that said when you set the bucket down it will dig in to the ground as deep and the ground will let you. It’s not going to be like a back hoe. Also yes it does hang low but the other night I was out riding and had the bucket off and a tree fell across my trail i had cut..... So after thinking about it and about a 6 pack latter I forgot I had the mounting bracket on and decided to go over the tree. Now like I said the bracket does hang low but after two tries I was over the tree and riding again. I will take a picture of the tree. The higher your bike the better. It will take some time to do a big job because its small but you will get the job done. Let me knoe if there is any thing else. I have some ditches around my 10 acres and i will go play around with it today to see if it would help you any.

dwoftx
Puddle Jumper
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/05 11:44:59
Thanks, Kevin. I think I will give it a try. I realize it is not a back hoe but should really be a back saver.
Dave
KawaKevin
Dirt Monster
RE: Swisher Front bucket loader 2007/08/05 12:41:06
I think you will be happy with it ..... i am mine.[:D]