Lockedfront spring removal without spring compressor?

Mud Master
2007/01/15 12:54:30
it doesnt look like we will be getting to borrow the spring compressor we need to do the lift and lift springs any time soon.
so is there an easy method to putting on and removing the front springs thats actually safe?
im open to any ideas as long as its safe. thanks.
savageone
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 13:04:30
i use the red rachet straps ,, it may take a minute to figure out how to get it set up ..i have used this method many times in the past
Polaris425
Outlaw Extremist
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 13:09:14
Cant you get a cheap Spring compressor/clamp deal at AutoZone?
tankrunner
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 13:19:34
Yea autozone is the best bet i did the borrow a tool deal cost me 40 bucks then when i got done and took the tool back i got my 40 bucks back. Easiest and cheapest way right their.
scottginfla
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 14:15:36
you do not need a spring compressor to mess with the front strut springs, you DO need one for the rear.
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 14:36:24
ill have to check out autozone then, im sure it wouldnt be the only time id use one, that sounds like a good deal.

ORIGINAL: scottginfla

you do not need a spring compressor to mess with the front strut springs, you DO need one for the rear.

ive heard that alot but it just still seems like it would be dangerous just to unbolt it and let the strut drop out. i was thinking maybe stick a car jack under the strut, unbolt it from the top and slowly letting it down would work... and then do the same to get it on just jack it up. but wouldnt it be under alot more pressure with the lift and lift springs?
PolarisTodd
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 14:51:27
no, remove the storage box from the front (4 screws and 4 bolts) Remove top strut nut and jack up slowly. strut assembly will drop out and with box removed, it gives you room to move strut away from upper mount. Slide off spring,, add lift spacer, replace spring and work back into mount. Lower bike and weight of wheeler will compress enough to re-install retaining nut and washers. re-install box and your done.
paul7oo
Puddle Jumper
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 17:17:58
just use a rachet strap(2 of them)works fine!
honda/polaris
Super Swamper
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 17:21:12
the stock springs will be fine without a compreesor. when i took mine out it was like they werent wven compressed.
elkbow
Respected Member
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 18:42:52
YOU DO NOT NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR FOR THE FRONT STRUTS.....
Bad2WD
Mud Maniac
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 18:51:08
I put 4" of lift on my front struts without a spring compressor. Take the strut loose from the tower at the top then loosen the clamp on the housing and let it slide up no problem. Just make sure you measure or mark the shock cartridge so you can put it at the same height it was on the new collar. I used the weight of the bike with a floor jack to push the spring back down.
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/15 23:09:29
ok thanks guys, ill try and give it a shot tommorow maybe. i was getting different opinions from private mechanics ive gone to that probably had no experiance with lifts and springs.
elkbow
Respected Member
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 05:02:07
i haven't put a lift on the front, if you are putting blocks under the springs, you may need a compressor to get the spring down far enough in order to put it back together.....if just putting heavy duty springs on the front instead of blocks, you don't need a compressor...
Rat
Outlaw
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 05:58:40
I use two straps when installing spacers. Also besure to loosen up the axle nut and push the axle inward a bit.   This will help keep from pulling the CV joint apart when installing spring spacers.
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 06:51:55
i did not use a spring compressor when i installed my lift ......i also did not use one to put them back on......if i rememer correct i had to push on the some to get them back oin but that was it
elkbow
Respected Member
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 06:55:35
good info crimb, for normal spring changes in the front, no compressor is needed, but with spacers i'm sure they need to compress more....but your idea of pushing them down will probably work to get the first nut on, dunno, would have to do it first to see...
river rooter
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 08:03:21
so to install hl heavy duty springs on front u dont need a comp???
COB
Super Swamper
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 10:15:33
NO SPRING COMPRESSOR NEEDED FOR FRONT!!!
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 14:44:24
ORIGINAL: river rooter

so to install hl heavy duty springs on front u dont need a comp???

if i am correct yes you do need one for the HL springs

elkbow yep all i did was put my wieght on it (wich is not much[:D]) and while i did i just threaded the nut on
backinblack700
Super Swamper
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 15:20:04
[:D] i put highlifter springs and a 4in. block under the springs with no spring compresser!!! just take the ball joint nut off, knock the a-arm off, put a jack under the ball joint, jack iit up til you get some pressure on it, then loosen the two bolts and let the jack down slowly, it will not fly off and hit you in the face, i promise!!! put back together using the jack too!!![;)]
Bad2WD
Mud Maniac
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 19:16:57
You are not compressing the springs any more than allready are if you are doing a lift. If you are trying to stiffen the spring by compressing it further with a collar you can still do it without a spring compressor. I only took the top loose to do mine and I put 4" in it.
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/16 21:55:46
well its the lift spings and 2 inch lift, it seems like it would need alot of weight to get them to compress after that. it might be easier to use the compresser anyway but we are still going to give it a shot without it. i think ive learned all the major tips and tricks to get everything on so it shouldnt be that bad. didnt get a chance today to put it on.

anyway, worse thing that would probably happen is i couldnt get them on. if that happens its no loss, ill just got to autozone and try that borrow a tool thing. its already going on 2 weeks without riding, i would have liked it done before it started getting cold but im alittle late for that. its all good though, i got a big jumpsuit and snow pants to keep me warm.
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/18 12:53:03
this is so much easier than i thought it would be. its simple to do without a compressor, all thats needed besides wrenches was a car jack. i can already tell its going to make a huge difference over what it was. only thing thats a real pain is grinding the strut. we have a battery operated dremel that doesnt do too well. and we started hitting the shock spacer so we have to work around that a little.

heres a pic, this sides almost done. almost ready to have the axle put back on and finally almost able to ride. just gotta do the other side. rear lift is on but doesnt seem like it made a while lot of difference but mesuring i did get 2 or more inches.

crip700
Outlaw
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/18 14:56:19
we did a 05' and 06' w/o a compressor...??? but my 04' u need them.
mud_duck
Outlaw
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/19 02:05:33
I did my '04.5 without a compressor.

no problem.
RWILCO
Dirt Monster
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/19 14:34:34
Why did you have to grind?
honda/polaris
Super Swamper
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/19 14:46:41
ORIGINAL: RWILCO

Why did you have to grind?

so the cv boot wont rub on it because of the increased angle.
savageone
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/19 17:57:50
i installed  my  HIGHLIFTER  springs(yellow ones)   with out the help on a spring compressor .. but i used my old 2 inch spaces in the strut houseing , this thing looks awsome, rides awsome , steers much easyer and best off all i gained about 2 inches .. this is by far the best money i have spent, installed a dyno-jet kit at the same time and that was wast of$$$$$$
ubba Aldridge
Super Swamper
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/19 19:13:07
Just put set of HD springs and blocks on tonight. I didn't even remove the tire. Removed front plastic to get to top nut. Jacked up on the frame untill it dropped far enough to come out. Took four sets of vise grips to compress new spring enough to start first nut, and then let the jack down and put on the the other nut. Used compresser for rear springs.
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/19 20:51:57
i just jacked up the strut, unbolted the 2 bottom nuts, dorpped down slowly then unbolted the top stuff and it was that simple. i then put everything where its supposed to be and jacked it up and tightend. got a grinder today and should have the bike ready to roll tomorrow, supposed to snow sunday so ill be just in time [:D]

and i found out that my shocks basically dont do anything, its super easy to move them. might have to look into new shocks sometime, hopefully theres aftermarket ones out ther somewhere.
PolarisTodd
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/20 20:22:26
MudSoaked...I see you have the supertrapp exhaust. Me too. I took it off and put a little marind aluminum rubbing compound and my buffing wheel on a bench grinder and the thing came out almost chrome looking. Looks great. Give it a try!
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front spring removal without spring compressor? 2007/01/20 21:09:09
thanks for the tip, ill have to try it. [:D]
i couldnt get it done today like i wanted, my shocks are shot and just arent usable. im gonna get new ones, maybe aftermarket if they have them. if anyone knows of a good aftermarket shock let me know.... PLEASE let me know lol. i got a thread about it, post here, there, PM, whatever you want.