Lockedfront and rear diff oil change questions

Mud Master
2006/12/26 20:19:24
i know theres been many questions about it, sorry to ask it again but i cant search for some reason.

i need to know what kind of oil the front diff and the rear diff and transmission take? also where do i add it and where is the drain located? i cant find it on the front and i know for sure it needs to be changed. same with the rear, i see a bolt that sais oil, im assuming its the drain but i dont know where to fill it.
thanks for all the help you guys have given me, in the past. and tanks in advance for this. [:)]
honda/polaris
Super Swamper
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/26 20:21:35
i have the same problem with searching. it should say in you manual where the drains and evrything are located
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/26 20:53:34
ORIGINAL: honda/polaris

i have the same problem with searching. it should say in you manual where the drains and evrything are located

dont have a manual, got it used with no paper work.  could have really used one too.
IVIurtimus
Mud Monster
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/26 21:12:20
All drain's are in the bottom of the fourwheeler (they're hex head).... and the fill plug for the back is visible from behind the quad.... and the one on the front is a hex head on the "drivers side" of the front diff.... hope that helps.... tranny fill is located on the "back" of the trans... you'll find it.... engine oil i just fill from the dipstick.
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 00:22:39
ORIGINAL: IVIurtimus

All drain's are in the bottom of the fourwheeler (they're hex head).... and the fill plug for the back is visible from behind the quad.... and the one on the front is a hex head on the "drivers side" of the front diff.... hope that helps.... tranny fill is located on the "back" of the trans... you'll find it.... engine oil i just fill from the dipstick.

thanks alot! [:D] 
i hadnt the slightest idea where i should have been looking.
and i just managed to find a place online that sells owners manuals. so ill have one for whenever i need matenence questions answerd.
mud_duck
Outlaw
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 00:43:07
You can also fill the front and rear gearcase through the vent tube.
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 01:11:26
that seems like it would be pretty easy.
oh yea, almost forgot. what fluids do each of those spots take?
BoredBear4x4
Mud Pro
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 09:29:09
The front diff can run ATF (automatic trans fluid), ----engine -fullsynthetic 5w30 or 10w30 nothing higher----- Transmission any kind of HD30 or SAE 30 ----- Rear diff 75w-90 Gear oil
IVIurtimus
Mud Monster
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 16:03:49
Well, I've never heard of those for alternatives... I run mobil 1 0w-40 for the motor.... polaris front and  trans fluid... and a valvoline 75-90 Synthetic gear oil...... 
Rat
Outlaw
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 16:23:27
Demand drive hub fluid for the front gear case, 0w40 oil of your choice for the motor, rear gearcase is 75-90 gear lube, transmission is polaris transmission fluid (30 wt oil is too thick and will cause failure). Amsoil has a fluid for the transmission. You can susbsitute ATF for your demand drive fluid but it seems to break down too quickly and will start smelling like a burnt electric motor in a very short time.   Considering it costs hundreds of dollars to repair the front gearcase then I would highly suggest getting the polaris demand drive fluid.
PolarisTodd
Mud Master
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 17:13:01
ORIGINAL: MudSoaked

ORIGINAL: honda/polaris

dont have a manual, got it used with no paper work.  could have really used one too.

Go here and you can get all manuals-parts and owners.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/UserSignon/default.aspx?URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.polarisindustries.com%2fvehicles%2ftemplates%2fManuals.aspx%3****RMODE%3dPublished%26NRORIGINALURL%3d%252fen-US%252fVehicles%252fManualsAndParts%252f%26NRNODEGUID%3d%257bFB37A1BA-27E9-40A7-899D-4DA93DCA59FF%257d%26NRCACHEHINT%3dGuest&UserSource=MANUALS
nbsportsman
Mud Bogger
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 21:02:54
If your 500 is a 2004 the front gearcase takes 75w90 gear oil.   If it's a 2004.5 the front gearcase takes the demand drive fluid or an ATF.....
borndirty
Mud Monster
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/27 22:21:28
i use 75w90 gear oil in front rear and trans with no probs  I have about 5 friends that do the same
MudSoaked
Mud Master
RE: front and rear diff oil change questions 2006/12/28 01:05:41
thanks guys [:D] its about time for a fluid change and i usually have my mechanic do it when i bring it in for other reasons (never because of something broken though lol). so now i know what to look for when im at walmart or some place.