LockedRubicon tranny problems

Grass Hog
2006/08/12 01:43:17
I have a 2001 Honda Rubicon that I got in Sept. 2000 it has 6400 miles on it. It has never given me any major trouble at all till now. The problem is my dash display blinks -- D1,D2,ESP and it will not shift gears. It will pull but it stays only in one gear. In low it won't go over about 6-8 mph then the rpms get high and won't shift. When I put in drive it goes about 14-16 mph and revs high but won't shift. Also in reverse it sputters like its running out of gas, or like some Polaris' I've rode where reverse sputters unless you push and hold another button.I had this problem once before, I tried reset it wouldn't work, I checked the fuse it looked milky white I cleaned it did reset, it worked fine ever since.I checked fuses they're ok. I understand that it could be in a "error" mode. I have tried the reset procedure, but I never hear the ecm or angle sensor try to adjust, just silence. So I retrieved the error code and it blinked 5 times, error code 5. I understand it could be an angle sensor,ECM, wire harness,control motor,motor transmission section, or auto tranny unit according to the list. Now I would like to know from anyone who has experienced this problem what is  most likely the problem with their experiences with the Rubicon. If their is no clear answer, what would be the list for the easiest thing to check first, hardest last. I did a search but really couldn't find a clear answer. From what I was able to gather it probably is the angle sensor. But I would hate to purchase parts only to find out that is not the problem. Do dealerships  have a way to test the parts to see if their ok? Or is there a way we can test this with automotive electric current meter? I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to give the best details that  I could.I appreciate any help you can give me. I just need to know what to check first, and/or what most likely is the real problem.
gotmuddy
Respected Member
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2006/08/12 08:03:27
To me it sounds like the angle sensor.
Rubicon02
Trail Rider
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2006/08/13 16:01:15
Thats exacly what mine did and it was the bearings that are inside the Hondamatic unit, and you can't even buy them, I had to buy a completely new Hondamatic Unit.  They thought that it was the angle sensor on mine to, but it wasn't.  The way you descrided it is what mine did.  You could pull the engine and see if it is the bearings outside of the trannsmission, because you can buy those.
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2006/08/13 17:43:39
Here is section #23 which covers the Hondamatic tests from the 2001 Honda TRX500FA PDF shop manual ..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c0m9x2
Taupo
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2007/11/10 16:07:44
Hi,

Did you get this problem fixed??? Mine is doing exactly the same thing. I know my wiring and ECM are working fine (we changed units) but the error message still blames the ECM.

I am guessing that if we go lookin for faulty angle sensors etc, its a full strip of the hondamatic box anyway??

Anyone got any ideas???

Cheers
englewoodcowboy
Mud Monster
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2007/11/10 17:43:48
I have an 07 Rubi with no problems. My dad had one of the first rubis to hit SW FL when they were released and what he dosent know wont hurt him as to what I put it through. He just traded it for an 07 after he saw the changes they made over his gen 1 Rubi. Think his had something like 800+ hours on it and the only problem was a carb rebuild and a spark plug and a couple torn boots. As for your problem, if the sensors etc. are failry easy to change, find a buddy with a good Rubi and swap the sensors, you may get lucky and find the problem. Other than that I have a strong feeling it is the tranny unit. JMHO. Good Luck!
landscaper
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2007/11/30 18:55:16
I have the same problem with my Rubi. I have to turn if off and keep turning the key to the on/off position until the computer resets and stops flashing all three selector settings in the display. Has anyone solved the problem yet?

Thanks 
landscaper
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2007/11/30 18:57:32
Did you find A fix yet for the tranny prob? I am having the same trouble.

Thanks

hmrubicon
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2007/12/12 21:13:12
Yes I got the Rubicon fixed in the spring of this year.
 I took it to a dealer and the dealer did some electrical tests on the various sensors and such.
The problem was the control unit. The big black electrical box under the rear body.
If I remember correctly it cost me about $250.00 including parts and labor.
But ever since it has worked excellent. 
Mrmojorisan
Outlaw
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2007/12/12 21:28:09
ORIGINAL: landscaper

Did you find A fix yet for the tranny prob? I am having the same trouble.

Thanks

When mine did that, it was the angle sensor.... actually, it was the wire running to the angle sensor...  it was routed too close to the exhaust and it melted causing the angle sensor to fail, so they replaced the wire and the sensor... 9 times out of 10, that problem turns out to be the angle sensor.
Rubicon 500
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/04/22 18:33:04
I have a 02 Rubicon and I am having similar prolems. My speedometer does not read most of the time now and sometimes when i tern then wheeler on the D1 D2 and ESP blink and will not shift and does not no what gear or mode it is in it also sputters in reverse. Anyone no what the problem could be?
Hank5697
Puddle Jumper
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/05/05 15:15:36
My 2002 Rubicon Had the exact same problems that you are having, I found that the (ANGLE SENSOR) was bad. Bought a new one and installed it , Haven't had any problems since. Average cost for one is around $80 bucks. Hope this info will help you.
Rubicon 500
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/05/19 17:00:40
what code was your machine comeing up with before you installed the new angle sensor?
zebulan
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/08/10 19:41:25
i just got a d1,d2 esp flash on my screen and sputter in reverse,other than the sputter it ran great,any way stopped at the top of the hill and turned key off and on flash stops, reverse works great,good to go .got a clymer book, got codes.screen flashes 5 times 1 second 5 flashes 2 second intervale then the 2 sets of 5 again.****?can someone explain the sequence to me please?this is the first computer controlled rig i have had.i should have known better.if it has ****,tires,or a computer ya got trouble.
Hank5697
Puddle Jumper
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/08/28 21:04:36
Rubicon 500.... I had a flashing code of 5
msrubicon89
Mud Monster
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/08/28 21:43:53
mine was doing it i turned my bike off and cranked it right back up was fine for 5 minutes then sput sput cough cough fart fart ya you know. turned it off again and has ran fine ever since it happens about every 4-6 months it does it
frankdunbar
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/10/04 18:20:00
I have a 2001 honda rubicon 500. It has 3100 kms and i just got it repaired. It needed a new peice in the engine that honda olny sells for $1,400. I dont know what it is called but it was very expensive. I thought my problems were dont but i just got it out of the shop and the display keeps flashing D1, D2, and ESP. If i try to drive it like this it wont go very fast it just rev's high around 25km/h. I shut it off and on again and it stops. I would like to know why it is doing this? Is it just an electrical problem or if this continues will my machine blow up and cost me $3,500 to fix again?
I am very grateful for any advice that anyone can give me to getting my ruby up and running nicely.
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/10/05 04:39:43
You have to count the flashes...
frankdunbar
Grass Hog
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/10/05 11:40:37
thats all you do is count the flashes....

is it like a high number.. cause i dono if its stops or not
lonegunman
Mud Master
RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2008/10/05 21:32:32
what is the angle sensor and what is its function. i aint got a honda so i dont know
FORMEN RUBE
Grass Hog
Re: RE: Rubicon tranny problems 2011/10/07 18:15:15
I HAVE ONE DOING SAME THING THER IS NOT SPECIFIC NUMBER OF FLASHES IT JUST KEEPS FLASHING ALL 3 D1 D2 ESP AND SPUTTER IN REVERSE I HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING BUT WIRE HARNESS AND STIL WONT SHIFT I SHIFT IT WITH A HOT AN GROUND SUMTIMES JUST TO MOVE IT ROUND BUT IT SUMTIMES WILL STOP FLASHING AND SHOW R OR N BUT SOON AS I PUT IT IN D OR L IT GOES BAC TO FLASHING ANY HELP?