Lockedsilicone on cv boots ?

Trail Rider
2005/06/06 09:21:18
i have a little cut in my front right cv boot, it's about
almost exactly this long __ and i was wondering, for now can i put some silicone on it to keep water and stuff out, or when i ride through mud and water, will it come off ?
COUGAAR
Mud Master
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/06 09:23:02
If you clean the boot good it should stick rather well
pat89
Mud Monster
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/06 10:23:57
You could also try a tube repair kit
COUGAAR
Mud Master
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/06 10:25:04
pat89'd Idea is probably a better 1
Johnnygoodtimes
Mud Slinger
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/06 13:23:49
Duct tape the living pi$$ outa it

You never know if your cut __ this long will turn into a cut ______________________________ This long :P
KC_Kodiak
Super Swamper
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/06 15:20:08
Silicone should work just fine I would think
CVGrizzly
Mud Bogger
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/06 16:15:36
Silicone works, what I've seen done is get a bike innertube and slice it and wrap it up that way and then zip tie the ends or hoseclamp it, that will last you a while for sure and is cheap.
Xtreme_Prairie
Mud Master
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/06 17:32:27
You are better off just rebooting the thing. Nothing will hold up over time.
Jazdude64
Mud Monster
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/07 00:03:47
As long as you stay out of water and mud, a temp fix should be fine, like trail riding or fair weather riding...Just be sure to keep your CV boot filled with the proper lube. Then patch it or whatever and ya should be good (but don't put off ordering a new boot kit or making sure your dealer has one in stock). Good luck...
quadwrench
Mud Master
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/07 07:05:23
Actually if you clean it up good, the best temporary patch will be Shoe Goo found in the shoe section of any Walmart - it stays flexible and bonds to rubber very well.
COUGAAR
Mud Master
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/07 08:15:28
Quote:

You are better off just rebooting the thing. Nothing will hold up over time.

Not even the new boot
RancherBBad
Mud Monster
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/07 09:24:33
I was changing brake pads, and noticed a cut in mine about ______________________ this long. Fortunately, I caught it early because it's still in good shape and still has alot of grease in it. I've already ordered a new boot kit.
MAD MUDDER
Mud Master
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/07 11:11:20
this is kind of the same thing quadwrench said but it is called goop. i think u get like at a hardware store and it is very flexible. i used it on my plastic on my 4wheeler plasitc and it worked but something hit it and broke it. so it might work.
kscowboy
Outlaw Extremist
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/07 19:36:04
Yeah i agree with mad mudder. The makers of shoe goo make different products. One of them is called plumbers goop. I would use it instead of silicone. Bonds to everything and is water proof and thick.
GoatManx
Outlaw
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/09 11:40:33
I used rubber cement and it held up through a day of mud but i thought it was leaking at one point and finally replaced it only to find out it wasn't once i took it off the bike. Of course i definatly feel safer about it now but it held up.
BigAl
Mud Monster
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/09 11:48:26
I used RTV and it lasted over a year.
DaIrishGuy
Dirt Monster
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/09 20:43:21
Shoe Goo works real well on rubber boots
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/10 03:18:21
i used rtv and let it sit fora day or two, and recoated it and let it sit, just clean the boot off reall good, and u should be fine
RondackRider
Dirt Monster
Re: silicone on cv boots ? 2005/06/20 10:02:20
This is not about cv boot directly, but about the little accordian shaped rubber (I have another name for it too but can't say it here) expansion boot found on the front and rear gearbox areas.

I had always assumed this flex tuber expands and contracts with the temp. of the gear oil, avoiding a traditional breather cap that may allow water into the system.

One extreamly hot day I was riding hard and took the road back to my camp. When I got there, I noticed a few spots of oil on the rear end. It was the Thingie had split at one of the creases. I think it was from the heat. I cleaned it well with rubbing alcohol and then put permatex bonding glue (they make several, don't know which one) that is good for rubber, so it said on the label, and glued the split. I let it dry several hours, then wraped it in adhesive (the white fabric medical tape)tape. This tape is the older medical tape that sticks well to your body and leaves sticky crap on yr skin after removing it. Anyway, that was about two years and 2,000 miles ago. Been through everything I can think of including deep water for several minutes at times. Would you believe, this still holds! The tape is still white! I check it often and I even ordered an extra thingie for replacement. I changed gear oil twice since and no sign of any water. I really should change that thingie. This was to be an emergency repair as I was at my remote camp. It still flexes and is in good working condition.

Another thing I do is spray PB Blaster on my boots (only on one machine for now) and it keeps the rubber softer and flexible. PB Blaster is kinda like WD-40, but more toward lubricant. The PB company said it's the best thing to use on "O" rings. I give all my o-rings a shot and it keeps them like new. But don't know if this is good or bad until a few years from now.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I found it interesting and well............sorry to be off topic!