Lockedhonda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL

Author
StraxS81
Trail Rider
  • Total Posts : 102
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/06 08:45:59 (permalink)

honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL

I have a 95 fourtrax 300 (4x2) that has no electrical at all. It started back a couple of weeks ago on a ride where my oil temp light came on then the bike just died. I stopped re-started it and it died 2 more times. It was about 55 degrees outside and the bike was still cool so I know it did not over-heat. At the end of the ride I pulled it into my barn with no problems. Last weekend I went to start it and no electrical what so ever, No oil temp light when you turn the key on, no neutral light, no headlights, and no reverse light when in reverse and of course no fire at plug. I pulled all the plastics off and noticed the rectifier had a couple of melted wires coming from the stator so I replaced it with a new one and no luck. I have verified that it is not a loose connection at the battery or a loose ground, It is not a bad fuse at the battery box (replaced it just cus). I tried performing some resistace testing per the service manual and I am getting readings back on all the switches it just dosent say what the reading should be. I have done alot of work on this bike including top end rebuild and rear diff rebuild so I do know the bike well just not the electrical. If anyone has any ideas please shoot the at me cus I am at a loss. I do have multi-meters and such.

So once again: No fire at plug, no headlight, no oil temp,neutral or reverse light, nothing as far as electrical. And yes the battery is fully charged and new and I am getting 12 vdc pass the solenoid to the 3 pin connector from there ???

Thanks ahead of time hopefully someone has the golden ticket

Shane

11 Replies Related Threads

Vamped750
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 979
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 09:13:37 (permalink)
    did u look at the wires coming from the ignition switch?may a problem there?

Kodiak 400
    Snorkle
    Wheel Spacers
    SS112s
    26 in Mudlites
    Warn 2k Winch

Kodiak 400
     CV Guards
    ITP Blackwaters
    Old School ITP Bullet Hole Wheels

StraxS81
    Trail Rider
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 09:31:11 (permalink)
    I took apart and checked the whole kill switch / starter button assembly and no corosion and all connections where good. Even when the kill switch has been off in the past I still had my headlights working. As far as the key switch I have done all kinds of electrical troubleshooting like wiggle and tap to find the short and nothing. I see that the all switchs come back to a main junction box at the front, I have opened it up but do not know what wires to look for resistance or voltage on. The CDI box and Alarm unit are also clear of mud and connections were sealed and clean.
    toodeep
    Outlaw
    • Total Posts : 4174
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 10:04:21 (permalink)
    Check the connections right in front of the battery in the battery box. The are good for corroding there.

07 TRX475FM                     09 TRX420FA
                  95 TRX300FW                          88 TRX300
    StraxS81
    Trail Rider
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 10:12:48 (permalink)
    All connections at that point are good and the ones that are not I have re-wired. I also replaced the regular fuse with one of those marine housings and larger car type fuse about 2 months ago. I have the whole wheeler apart now and  I am getting power past the solenoid and up to the 3 pin connector from which that point it joins another group of wires and heads toward the front all in black tape so I do not know where to check for voltage next. No headlights is the weird thing to me.
    StraxS81
    Trail Rider
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 10:52:01 (permalink)
    Anyone have any ideas or have been through this before. Need some light in the tunnel.
    scarface300
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 13:02:12 (permalink)
    unplug ur ignition switch and plug the wires together and bypass the switch, i wanna say theres 4 wires but theres 2 of them that you can plug together u just have to try it, if it powers up then thats your problem, i've had 2 300s do it myself

A couple of 300s

A couple of brutes

TEAM DO WORK: OAK PARK CHAPTER!

StraxS81
    Trail Rider
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 13:28:12 (permalink)
    Ok so I opened up the black junction box located at the front of the bike to expose all the connections. I verified that each connection is not corroded and plug back together. There are 4 wires coming from the key switch Red,Black,Pink and pink/white. I unpluged and tried a number of different tests crossing the colored wires around (bypass) and again nothing. I did check resistance and got a reading back between (red and black) when I turned on the key and (pink and pink/white) when I turned the key so would that simulate that the switch is good?

These are very good options that I am trying and appreciate everybodys input. I feel that there is a fix that somebody has been through because this is strange as all get out to me... No power what so ever
    scarface300
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 13:40:05 (permalink)
    if its not that then id say a short somewhere, i cant remember the 2 wires i had to plug together, mine did it at the river 1 day and i had to straight wire it to get home

A couple of 300s

A couple of brutes

TEAM DO WORK: OAK PARK CHAPTER!

StraxS81
    Trail Rider
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/06 14:18:37 (permalink)
    Yeah I have checked for shorts the best I know how by a wiggle and a poke here and there and no flicker in the lights nothing. I have the cover off of where the neutral,reverse and oil temp sensor is cleaned it all up and resoldered some loose connections that were on the snap plug that slides on the sensor and still nothing. Something is stopping current from flowing from after the 3 pin connector to some point???
    StraxS81
    Trail Rider
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/07 06:29:05 (permalink)
    Any ideas? Anybody.. This is not an easy issue to diagnose so hopefully some has been through this before. Open to any suggestions got a ride planned this weekend so I would love to have it bask in the mud.
    StraxS81
    Trail Rider
    Re:honda fourtrax 300 with NO ELECTRICAL 2009/12/11 19:09:05 (permalink)
    Well found the fix. I started untaping all of the wiring harness and discovered the main red  wire (from the main fuse) heading to the junction box in the front was corroded and broke off along with 1 other, even though it was taped up tight and supposedly sealed from the eliments. I have found out that electrical IS hands on on and about just tracing voltage and testing parts. Thanks for all the suggestions from everybody it helped me to break down and just do it and now that I have I have a better understanding of yet another part of my bike. This issue came up with no warning and could have left me stranded on a trail or ride sometime. It is definately worth some investigation if you keep your bike in water and mud most the time.
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5