LockedSolution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead

Author
91CavGT
Mud Master
  • Total Posts : 760
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/30 14:12:56 (permalink)

Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead

I have heard and read dozens of posts all over the web talking about the batteries on the Chinese ATVs going dead.  Well, here recently I aquired a Chinese ATV for one of my sons to ride, and you guessed it, the battery was dead.  I see a lot of people just putting a float charger on them to keep them charged and ready to go, but I wanted something that was 100% hastle free.  So here is what I did.

Laying in my garage I have a few small solar panels that are really too small to use to charge batteries because they only put out about 100-200 miliamps of current.  But hey, that's about the right size to maintain a small ATV battery!!  So, I installed a small 6" X 6" panel on the back rack of my son's quad along with a diode to prevent the battery from destroying the panel at night.  At no load the panel puts out 19.2 volts in bright sunlight at about 150 miliamps. 

Right now I just finished installing the panel and the battery voltage is at 12.3 volts.  2 weeks ago I charged the battery and it was sitting at 12.6 volts so it slowly drains.  We're going riding this weekend so I'll keep watch on it through the week and see if the voltage increases at all. 

BTW, the quad is NOT parked in direct sunlight.  It is parked on our back porch under an awning.  I will test the voltage again in a couple of days to see how it is doing, and if I need to step up to one of my larger panels to keep the battery charged.  

2005 Suzuki Ozark, modded SOLD

1991 Honda Fourtrax 300 4X4  - mine
Dirt Cheap Fourtrax Build

2010 Chinese 110cc  - one of my son's
1983 Suzuki LT125  - my other son's
198X Suzuki LT185  - The wife's

7 Replies Related Threads

big tony
    Outlaw
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re:Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead 2010/08/31 12:47:54 (permalink)
    solution to all chinese bike problems: Here you go friend, you can have it
    91CavGT
    Mud Master
    Re:Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead 2010/08/31 22:23:07 (permalink)
    big tony

solution to all chinese bike problems: Here you go friend, you can have it

lol!!!    Now that is spot on!

86buickgn
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2879
    Re:Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead 2010/09/01 23:33:13 (permalink)
    91CavGT

I have heard and read dozens of posts all over the web talking about the batteries on the Chinese ATVs going dead.  Well, here recently I aquired a Chinese ATV for one of my sons to ride, and you guessed it, the battery was dead.  I see a lot of people just putting a float charger on them to keep them charged and ready to go, but I wanted something that was 100% hastle free.  So here is what I did.

Laying in my garage I have a few small solar panels that are really too small to use to charge batteries because they only put out about 100-200 miliamps of current.  But hey, that's about the right size to maintain a small ATV battery!!  So, I installed a small 6" X 6" panel on the back rack of my son's quad along with a diode to prevent the battery from destroying the panel at night.  At no load the panel puts out 19.2 volts in bright sunlight at about 150 miliamps. 

Right now I just finished installing the panel and the battery voltage is at 12.3 volts.  2 weeks ago I charged the battery and it was sitting at 12.6 volts so it slowly drains.  We're going riding this weekend so I'll keep watch on it through the week and see if the voltage increases at all. 

BTW, the quad is NOT parked in direct sunlight.  It is parked on our back porch under an awning.  I will test the voltage again in a couple of days to see how it is doing, and if I need to step up to one of my larger panels to keep the battery charged.  

I like the way you think.  Didn't I see a post of yours from a few years/months ago about spraying NOS by using a small bottle strapped to the handlebars?
    I thought that was ingenious as well.  Its thoughts like these that lead to great inventions......KEEP THINKING!!!

06 650 V2
    BFR built! 
    06 650 H1
    10 Mud Pro 700

tcs9381
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1895
    Re:Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead 2010/09/02 07:06:24 (permalink)
    my buddy put a kill switch on the battery on his suns bike after he replaced 2 batterys , after puttin a kill switch to the battery so the lil alarm doesnt drain the battery he has bn runnin same battery for over a 1 1/2 year

FOR SALE ,$7500 LIKE IT SITS- 2010 AC MUDPRO 700 on 32 sbacks,chrome SS112S and GORILLA AXLES ON ALL 4S and RDC REAR DIFF SIDE COVER ,inch and half ADAPTER SPACERS FOR 4/110 , 2INCH LIFT ,            PROJECT NEW RIDE    01 bb , 10.25 to 1 wiseco hc piston, #88 grind webbcam , warrior head , warrior carb , hmf , 8 inch PONDHOPPER lift and irs conversion on 28 laws on stock rims FOR NOW LOL      daughters ride  06 suzuki ozark 250 snorkeled , 2 inch lift with 25 inch mudlites up front and 24 inch ag tires n back on SS106s
    91CavGT
    Mud Master
    Re:Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead 2010/09/02 18:16:20 (permalink)
    86buickgn

91CavGT

I like the way you think.  Didn't I see a post of yours from a few years/months ago about spraying NOS by using a small bottle strapped to the handlebars?
    I thought that was ingenious as well.  Its thoughts like these that lead to great inventions......KEEP THINKING!!!

Yeah, that's me.  I'm always coming up with crazy stuff!!  I currently have a lawn mower running off of gasoline vapor, and I'm not heating the fuel.  I made my sons some water guns made out of old cordless drills and some windshield washer pumps.  Hook a camel back up to them and they can go for quit a while!

Here's my lawn mower in action.  If you notice, there is no carb on it. 

Vapor Powered Lawn Mower  

91CavGT
    Mud Master
    Re:Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead 2010/09/02 18:18:36 (permalink)
    tcs9381

my buddy put a kill switch on the battery on his suns bike after he replaced 2 batterys , after puttin a kill switch to the battery so the lil alarm doesnt drain the battery he has bn runnin same battery for over a 1 1/2 year

I put one of them on my dad's 50cc ATV that the grand kids ride but knowing my son, he would loose the key to turn it on and off.  I attached the key on my dad's ATV with aircraft cable, but my son would still end up loosing it if I did that with his. 

91CavGT
    Mud Master
    Re:Solution to Chinese ATV's battery going dead 2010/09/05 22:23:47 (permalink)
    Well, I got to test it this weekend.  I took my four wheelers to my grandparents house for a small family get together.  For about 4 hours all of my wheelers were running non-stop from one kid to the next.  Unfourtunately, my son's chinese four wheeler kept getting turned off by accident cause the kill switch is in a bad position.  So today just me my sons and my wife went riding.  All of the riding we were doing was low speed since I am the only skilled rider in my family so the chinese ATV never was recharging the battery.  After one of our breaks we went to leave and the chinese ATVwould not start!!!  The battery was so low that it would not turn the motor over.  So I towed it back to my truck where we ate lunch.  While we were eating lunch I let the ATV sit in the sun so the solar panel hopefully would help to recharge the battery.  After about 30 minutes I tried to start it and it turned over fast and started right up!! 

Lesson learned today;

The solar panel DOES work, but if lots of slow riding is gonna be done then a small solar panel alone will not be enough to keep the battery charged.  I am now trying to decide if I should put a bigger solar panel on it or change the 4.5 amp/hr battery out for a 51 amp/hr (no, that's not a typo).  I have 2 of these batteries laying around and I have a bigger solar panel laying around so I am not sure which to try first.  Any suggestions as to which path I should go on?

Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5