Helpful ReplyHot!So I keep getting texts from CL scammers............

Author
bcom
Super Swamper
  • Total Posts : 2020
  • Reward points: 0
2017/09/11 18:30:53 (permalink)

So I keep getting texts from CL scammers............

Here's what the scammers text me when asking about a vise I have for sale on Craigslist.

Scammer-------- Sorry i am replying late, is it in a good condition? i am too busy its been a hectic week at work and wont be able to see it first, will pay with a cashier's check when check clears your bank I'll ask my mover to come for pick up. Let me know if its okay

Here's what I text back------------ Aww come on dude. I've been asked by 3 of you scammers already about this vise. Can you please take me off your scam list? How do you guys expect to fool anyone? You guys don't even ask about the item correctly and you're easy to spot. Do you guys go to a scam school somewhere? I could use a job myself and I bet I could do 10 times better than your guy's scam. I've been given the gift of "gab" and I know what people want to hear and honestly I don't see how you scammers make any money? You guys are a bunch of novices 😳

current ride--a derelict shopping cart
Happy terrapin with koozies!!
toodeep
Outlaw
  • Total Posts : 4285
2017/09/11 20:50:49 (permalink)
I hate using CL anymore because of that stuff and obviously (in my area) others do as well since there is no new stuff posted for a week. I hate to say it but fb groups have done better at getting things sold than CL. Kind if like the death of many forums and a complete slow down of others. FB is the devil and it's not just about what you are cooking and cute kittens anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bcom
Super Swamper
Re: 2017/09/11 22:34:17 (permalink)
I use FB to "try" and sell stuff and it has worked about as well as CL. However if FB were to disappear tomorrow,I could care less.

Jeepwm69
Mud Maniac
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: 2017/09/12 14:10:12 (permalink)
Rant on

I just sold a 420 Rancher.  My take is, FB is just like craigslist, except you get to see the profile of the person who is going to show up, try to kill or kidnap you, and then try to steal and sell your liver.

First off, on bcoms scammer, I like to mess with them.  I like to string them along for days, sometimes weeks.  I find it entertaining.  I've gotten several hexes and curses put on me by scammers with very unique accents and/ or a very unique dialect of the English language.

As for FB vs Craigslist, you still get the same "Wat's ur bottom dollor?" or "Wat's the lest ull take?" crap from people who have no intention of buying an item unless you'll sell it for 1/4 of market value.  You still get the "Will u trad for a 92 grand am with a blown hed gasket?" even though your ad says "NO TRADES NO TRADES NO TRADES" as the first line.  The only difference is, on FB you can see what the methbilly looks like who is sending you the above messages.

Every time I start to think it would be a good thing if a meteor wiped out the human race, someone comes along and restores my faith in humanity.  That said, I think I'm done buying bikes to fix up and sell.  I'm just not a wheeler-dealer type of guy.  I'm too old to deal with it nowadays.  Don't have the patience. 

Back in my day, if a man had a price listed, if you thought he was WAY high you just kept walking.  If he was in your ballpark you made an offer, and he either declined or counteroffered until you reached a mutually beneficial agreement.   You didn't offer 1/2 of his posted price.  That's just rude, especially when you both know the ballpark figure on the market price. 

Now you get "Wat's the lest you take on teh racher?" and I usually respond with "What's the most you'll pay?" just because the idea that I'm going to throw out my best deal right off the bat is idiotic and undeserving of a serious response.  Sadly, that's most of what you get on FB and Craigslist these days, and even worse, is a good representative of what we have become as a society. 

After this last wheeler I'm going to either part them out or keep them.  **** I might set one on fire and shoot it, because THAT would be preferable to dealing with the mouth breathers that have been sending me emails and FB messages about this last Rancher I had "for sell".

Rant off.
post edited by Jeepwm69 - 2017/09/12 14:11:52
bcom
Super Swamper
Re: 2017/09/12 17:33:29 (permalink)
I actually kinda like to "deal" with people. I love to dicker in prices and like to get an inside look into who I'm talking to. I've had people drop hundreds of dollars off their items for sale once I let them know who they were speaking to. I let them know I'm just a regular dude with cash in my pocket. Once they get past "I'm not a weird CL buyer"part, sellers open up to me and I get what I want for cheaper.

00_NUTT
Super Swamper
  • Total Posts : 2380
Re: 2017/09/12 20:57:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jeepwm69 2017/09/13 11:02:56
Wow Jeepwm so how do you really feel???? Hahaha. I do the same thing as screwing with all those bs people. Now I'm the type of person that will tell you up front I hope my offer doesn't offend you. Most say bring it and most will deal afterwards. Facebook I don't have and never will!!! I was selling a trailer off my property on CL. People from all over were calling and emailing. The ones from far off we're even sending me fake moving quotes, telling me they coming next day. I told them you come on over and I'll have a gun ready for you. I did get rid of it to a single mom that needed a place. Gave it to her as she and her daughter needed a fresh start. She used her taxes to move it. Parents had a little land for her. Took pictures of it all nice and clean and sent them to me. The end of the school year she sent a copy of her kids report card. Saying she has totally changed in school since she has her own room and not constantly moving around. Actually made me smile. Maybe one day they can pass a favor on to someone else needing a little help.

00_NUTT
1997 Honda 300 4x4
Head Ported and Polished
317 Kit
Big Red Cam
Clutch Kit
SuperTrapp IDS2 Exhaust
K&N Filter
Carb Kit
32" Interco Interforce II's
16" MSA M30 Trottles
Snorkled 
54% gear reduction
Honda 350 rear axle assm.

6" BPC CUSTOM LIFT WITH 8" STRETCH AND 3" BODY LIFT OLD 300 LOOKING GOOD AS EVER THANKS TO WHITNEY!!!!!

SON'S BIKE
1998 Honda 300 2x4
6" BPC LIft with some sick a-arms
420 spindles and disk brakes
29.5" OL2'S
14" MSA M26 Vibes

Upcoming
4x4 Frame and Motor that's here now just got to get to work on the swap over!!!
54% Gear Reduction

Jeepwm69
Mud Maniac
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: 2017/09/13 11:08:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby WizardMaster 2017/09/25 16:48:42
I had a Rancher that was perfect mechanically.  I rebuilt it for my brother in law and he knocked up his wife about 1/2 way through the rebuild and didn't have the money to buy it.

New rear axle, hubs, diff bearings and seals, swingarm bearings, brake pads front and rear, ball joints, tie rod ends, front bearings, fuel pump and filter, battery, seat.

Motor had a new OEM cylinder and piston (not bored, brand new), new crank, timing chain, clutches.

I added a winch and LED lightbar. 

Listed it at $2800, had about $2400 in it not including my labor.

16 year old kid "Will u tak 1500 cash today?"  I look and the same kid has a 350 Rancher for sale for $3200. 

Are you freaking kidding me?

I'll wheel and deal in person.  Selling crap over the phone and interwebs just brings out the bottom feeders.
WizardMaster
Puddle Jumper
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: 2017/09/25 16:48:00 (permalink)
I have about 1500 well known people on my FB list and it is also set to PRIVATE and NOT public. The only people that can see my activity are those on my 'list'. I gave up going public long ago when I started getting trolls during the elections. Yes, I was having fun playing 'Whack-A-Troll' but after a while I just got bored of them.
    As far as CL goes, I've sold and bought many items and never an issue once I started putting my phone into code that electronic spammers cannot easily pick up. Example> one-38six-44seven-389five<<< I've never had an issue since and it has given me piece of mind,but, I do enjoy reading about the way it used to be.....you sure brought back memories........ BUT, SwipSwap is one you cannot be private on. I only purchase on SwipSwap after phone communication and the product always comes to me............luckily....as with my new buggy project!! 

00_NUTT
Super Swamper
  • Total Posts : 2380
Re: 2017/09/25 18:07:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby WizardMaster 2017/09/26 05:56:23
Wizard did you say buggy project!?!?!? Welcome to the forum first off and second off go ahead and start a thread on it. We'd love to see what you got hiding in your shed!!!

00_NUTT
1997 Honda 300 4x4
Head Ported and Polished
317 Kit
Big Red Cam
Clutch Kit
SuperTrapp IDS2 Exhaust
K&N Filter
Carb Kit
32" Interco Interforce II's
16" MSA M30 Trottles
Snorkled 
54% gear reduction
Honda 350 rear axle assm.

6" BPC CUSTOM LIFT WITH 8" STRETCH AND 3" BODY LIFT OLD 300 LOOKING GOOD AS EVER THANKS TO WHITNEY!!!!!

SON'S BIKE
1998 Honda 300 2x4
6" BPC LIft with some sick a-arms
420 spindles and disk brakes
29.5" OL2'S
14" MSA M26 Vibes

Upcoming
4x4 Frame and Motor that's here now just got to get to work on the swap over!!!
54% Gear Reduction

bcom
Super Swamper
Re: 2017/09/25 20:54:39 (permalink)
WizardMaster
I have about 1500 well known people on my FB list and it is also set to PRIVATE and NOT public. The only people that can see my activity are those on my 'list'. I gave up going public long ago when I started getting trolls during the elections. Yes, I was having fun playing 'Whack-A-Troll' but after a while I just got bored of them.
    As far as CL goes, I've sold and bought many items and never an issue once I started putting my phone into code that electronic spammers cannot easily pick up. Example> one-38six-44seven-389five<<< I've never had an issue since and it has given me piece of mind,but, I do enjoy reading about the way it used to be.....you sure brought back memories........ BUT, SwipSwap is one you cannot be private on. I only purchase on SwipSwap after phone communication and the product always comes to me............luckily....as with my new buggy project!! 

This is the weirdest thing. So you joined HL just to get on an old rant thread about CL? I'm seriously scratching my head🤔

WizardMaster
Puddle Jumper
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: 2017/09/26 06:05:18 (permalink)
bcom
WizardMaster

This is the weirdest thing. So you joined HL just to get on an old rant thread about CL? I'm seriously scratching my head🤔

Ya know, it's the weirdest thing but besides the cool website content here overall, it was the first thing to catch my eye because it is a big topic everywhere you turn. I'm just lucky that I'm still alive with all the dealings I've done on CL. The key is to not ask for a 'date' on CL................ and FB is under your control. Now onto that buggy build thread......... Lift em' if ya got em'!!!!
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5