Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
CRSBear400
Respected Member
  • Total Posts : 7976
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/11 17:20:07 (permalink)

MUD TIRE COMPARISON!!

Okay, i've owned or put seat time on just about every mud tire produced today. I'm bored and I have time to waste today, so I decided to share some of what i've learned from my experiences. I'm going to compare 27" first because it is the most versatile and most available size. I'm throwing trail comfort out the window on this one! Here are my top mud tires and why. It will be long! But I think it will be worth the time to read it.

1) Highlifter Outlaws - The 27x12/27x9.5 Outlaws are my top pick. Overall, they perform better than any 27" tire I've owned/opereated in the mud. They have all the features that make a great mud tire: open lug spacing, deep tread, shoulder/sidewall lug wrap, open center-line, flexible rubber compound and a flat profile. I'll start with the lugs. They are between 1.25" and 1.5" deep. They are spaced wide enough to allow each lug to sink completely into the terrain and bite per every rotation of the tire. None of the lugs or lug edges "skip" over the terrain as the tire rotates. This allows the traction to be 100% efficient. The "cup" design of the lugs allow them to scoop the terrain on the downward rotation and discard it to the rear on the upward rotation. The flexibility of the lug also helps to accelerate this effect. A straighter, more horizontal lug (sand paddle tire) design would have the same effect on the downward rotation, but doesn't clean the tread effectively on the upward rotation. The deeper the lug, the more forward pull you will get. Also, there is no lug crossing the center (middle) of the tire carcass. This is vital because it allows both sets of lugs on either side of the tire to bite simultaneously and makes a significant difference for climbing out of a hole or up a slippery bank. A tire with a center lug or a lug that crosses the center of the tire carcass (example: Swamplites and Mud Bugs) creates a higher point of contact. This doesn't allow even bite from the both sets of lugs on either side of the tire. This effect isn't as noticeable in mud with a soft bottom because the center lug is able to sink into the soft mud which allows each lug to dig in and bite. However, in mud with a hard bottom, the tire will come to rest on the center lug. This effect leaves less of the lugs biting edge in the mud. That means you have less lug surface to pull from which = less forward traction. The flatter profile of these tires also further enhances the efficiency of the lugs. The more lug edge that comes in contact with the ground, the larger the biting surface which = more traction. Also, the lugs wrap the shoulder/sidewall of the tire to help bite on either side of the ruts. This is effective because it gives you roughly 40% more biting surface, the ability to grab more traction on the inside and outside of ruts and it helps keep you up on top of the ruts, which prevents them from falling into the rut and high centering. This gives them a paddle effect compared to other tires. That is where they get their "paddle" reputation from. Highlifter definitely did their homework designing these tires. No other tire will top them for shear forward traction in mud.
2) Gorilla Silverback - The 27x12/27x10 Gorilla Silverback is a relatively new but proven tire that is nipping at the heels of the Outlaws. It's lug pattern/design incorporates proven technology from the Highlifter Outlaws as well as some new design features. These tires have 1.5" deep two stage lugs with deep siping that wrap to the sidewall of the tire. They also feature an extra 5 blade paddle-like lug that runs the entire length of the sidewall. The tread spacing on these tires is larger than any mud tire currently in production. It features a long, cup shaped lug that starts on the shoulder of the tire and crosses the center line of the tire by roughly and inch, or 60% of the contact patch. The cup shaped lug is effective in the same manner that the Outlaws cupped lugs are. However, the lug crosses the center line of the tire, which prevents equal lug bite from both sets of lugs on either side of the tire. In deep, thick, soft clay mud, this is a non issue. But, when climbing out of a hole or up a slick embankment, the lack of biting edges in contact with the ground cannot bite and the tire will slip on the center line lug. This is one area where the Outlaw is superior to the Silverback. The shorter secondary lug of the Silverback differs from that of the Outlaw in that is it almost completely horizontal. This design makes it a more efficient bite than that of the Outlaws secondary (short) lug. The Outlaw's secondary lugs are a cup design. This design is beneficial in some cases. However, the secondary lugs are not long enough to benefit from the "cup" design. The more horizontal design of the Silverback's secondary lug is able to use 100% of it's biting edge vs roughly 60% of the Outlaws cupped secondary lug. The Silverback also has a slightly more rounded profile vs the Outlaw. They are not overly rounded, but, the slight "ballooning" of the carcass leaves them with a slightly smaller contact patch than the Outlaws. The 27x10 Silverbacks are about 1.5" wider than the 27x9.5 Outlaws and feature more shoulder/sidewall wrap. This gives the Silverbacks a slight edge at times in ruts. These two tires are very close and the difference in performance is only noticeable in the described situations. The Outlaws lack of a center line lug gives them the slight edge in overall forward traction and mud performance. 
*** (I think it's worth mentioning that when both the Outlaw and Silverback are mounted on a "Crushlock" wheel, the Silverback's design puts more lug on the ground and is slightly better than the Outlaw)

3) Interco TSL Vampire/EDL Vampire combo - The combination of the 27x12 TSL Vampire/28x10 EDL Vampire is a very close 3rd to the Outlaw and Silverback. While listed at 28", the EDL Vampires are actually right at 27" tall, which makes them the perfect match for the 27x12 TSL's. Both tires feature the same 3 stage lugs with a sharper, slightly more vertical angle than that of the Silverback and Outlaw and virtually no side/shoulder lug. The EDL has 2" deep lugs while the TSL has 1.3" deep lugs. The 3 stage lugs are angled more vertical and are nearly perfect for climbing. They have no center line lug which allows both sets of lugs on each tire to bite evenly. They pitch/angle of the lugs bite in and they shed the mud out the side of the tire. Their ability to quickly self-clean makes them perform excellent when turning the tires slowly or when your trying to technically maneuver a particular line through a hole. The angle of the lugs and open center line of the tire, combined with the full 2" tread depth of the EDL's up front make these tires the absolute best for climbing up and out of ruts. Their foward traction is excellent as well. But, they fall short of the Outlaw and Silverback mainly due to their lack of a side/shoulder traction. This makes them sit farther down in the ruts vs the other two. That is what gives them their "digging" reputation. With a lug that tapered up at the shoulder and side lugs equal to that of the Outlaw/Silverback, these tires would likely be in the #1 spot!
4) Maxxis Mudzillas - I rank these tires at a more distant 4th. These tires have widely spaced lugs that are 1.5" deep. The primary lug has good angle until it crosses the center line of the tire. It then runs nearly vertical down the center for around 3". The secondary lugs are only about 4" long, and 3" of the lug is vertical leaving roughly 1" of biting surface. These two factors severely hurt the performance of these tires. The Mudzilla's have the least efficient design of all the tires in this comparison and are also the worst for climbing. Only 50% of the primary lug and 25% of the secondary lug provide forward traction/bite. The rest of the lug edges are to vertical to provide positive forward traction. The Mudzilla's deep lugs do provide good traction in deep, soupy mud and thick clay mud. But, they do not have the traction of the other three at the point of contact. The large amount of vertical lug doesn't allow them to "bite into" the terrain and propel the bike forward. Instead, they slip and spin on top of the mud until they finally sink deep enough for the biting edges of the lugs to grab enough traction to move forward. This is why you can see these tires spinning in the mud much more than Outlaws, Silverbacks or Vampires. The Mudzilla's are deceiving to look at. They look far more aggressive than they actually are. There is more wasted lug on these tires than any other i've seen. If not for the lug depth and the lug spacing, these tires would have been at #5 instead of #4. If the Mudzilla had the lug pattern of the Zilla, or if the the Zilla had the lug depth/profile of the Mudzilla, Maxxis would have a much better tire.
5) **tie**
A) Maxxis Mud Bugs -
These tires are a level below the top 3, but actually very close to #4. They have 1.25" deep dual stage lugs with minimal shoulder/side tread. The lugs are more tightly spaced and shallower than the top three. They have a more verical angle to their lugs vs the Outlaw/Silverback, but with less "pitch" than the Vampires. The primary lug crosses the center line of the tire. They provide good bite in all types of mud, but fall short of the others in overall mud traction due to their tread depth, lug spacing, center line lug and stiffer lugs. In all but the soft, thick clay mud, they pull as good as the Mudzilla's.   
B) Highlifter Outlaw Radial - The 27x12/27x9.5 Outlaw Radials have 1" tall single stage lugs on the contact patch and dual stage side lugs. The tread pattern of these tires is laid out extremely flat. Combine that with the radial construction, and they are nearly 100% effecient. The lugs reach the center line of the tire, but do not cross leaving a small, but open center line which gives them excellent forward traction and very good climbing ability. They also have good shoulder/side wall lug wrap for a little extra grip in ruts. But, the side lug depth isn't enough to give them a significant edge over the Vampires or Mudzillas in ruts. They angle of the lugs is closer to that of the Vampires, but with more of a Outlaw-like cup shape on the outer 1/3 of the lug. If the tread depth of these tires were as taller, they would be close to the top of this list. But, the shallower tread by comparison, which was designed to make them more versatile outside of the mud, holds them back in the thicker, softer mud.
post edited by CRSBear400 - 2010/01/11 18:06:40

~ Cale Sanders  
'11 RZR 900XP LE White Lightning
HL 5" lift, 28" OL2's & MSA Crushers, EMP 2" receiver hitch, EMP half windshield, OSS loaded roof, GORILLA/DHT AXLES, LTE full system, Dobeck Gen III, 5" cage chop, Polaris OEM doors, CRS snorkels
SOLD!!!
'14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
CATVOS 3" Lift w/+2" F&R stretch, 31x9.5 Outlaws, MSA Beadlocks, 5" cage chop, flush steel roof, 2" bed lift, half windshield, Wetsounds 10 Sound bar, CRS LED Snorkels, LED underglow, 30" Rigid l

206 Replies Related Threads

subforeman
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1008
    Re:MUD TIRES!! 2010/01/11 17:40:13 (permalink)
    Great write-up!

'10 RZR 800 "S"
    '08 RZR 800
    '05 Rincon 650
    '02 Big Bear 400
    Rhino8123
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:MUD TIRES!! 2010/01/11 17:41:22 (permalink)
    Yea very excellent write up.

2008 Grizz 700 Red:
    28x9.5 Outlaw MSTs
    12" ITP SS212 Black wheels.

Wish List:
    Power Commander
    HMF Pipe (Red)
    Clutch Kit
    Backrest
    Cargo boxes.
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRES!! 2010/01/11 18:09:04 (permalink)
    Thanks. I appreciate yall taking the time to read it.

~ Cale Sanders  
    HL 5" lift, 28" OL2's & MSA Crushers, EMP 2" receiver hitch, EMP half windshield, OSS loaded roof, GORILLA/DHT AXLES, LTE full system, Dobeck Gen III, 5" cage chop, Polaris OEM doors, CRS snorkels
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    CATVOS 3" Lift w/+2" F&R stretch, 31x9.5 Outlaws, MSA Beadlocks, 5" cage chop, flush steel roof, 2" bed lift, half windshield, Wetsounds 10 Sound bar, CRS LED Snorkels, LED underglow, 30" Rigid l
    juniormudder
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1187
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 18:34:20 (permalink)
    CRSBear400

Okay, i've owned or put seat time on just about every mud tire produced today. I'm bored and I have time to waste today, so I decided to share some of what i've learned from my experiences. I'm going to compare 27" first because it is the most versatile and most available size. I'm throwing trail comfort out the window on this one! Here are my top mud tires and why. It will be long! But I think it will be worth the time to read it.

1) Highlifter Outlaws - The 27x12/27x9.5 Outlaws are my top pick. Overall, they perform better than any 27" tire I've owned/opereated in the mud. They have all the features that make a great mud tire: open lug spacing, deep tread, shoulder/sidewall lug wrap, open center-line, flexible rubber compound and a flat profile. I'll start with the lugs. They are between 1.25" and 1.5" deep. They are spaced wide enough to allow each lug to sink completely into the terrain and bite per every rotation of the tire. None of the lugs or lug edges "skip" over the terrain as the tire rotates. This allows the traction to be 100% efficient. The "cup" design of the lugs allow them to scoop the terrain on the downward rotation and discard it to the rear on the upward rotation. The flexibility of the lug also helps to accelerate this effect. A straighter, more horizontal lug (sand paddle tire) design would have the same effect on the downward rotation, but doesn't clean the tread effectively on the upward rotation. The deeper the lug, the more forward pull you will get. Also, there is no lug crossing the center (middle) of the tire carcass. This is vital because it allows both sets of lugs on either side of the tire to bite simultaneously and makes a significant difference for climbing out of a hole or up a slippery bank. A tire with a center lug or a lug that crosses the center of the tire carcass (example: Swamplites and Mud Bugs) creates a higher point of contact. This doesn't allow even bite from the both sets of lugs on either side of the tire. This effect isn't as noticeable in mud with a soft bottom because the center lug is able to sink into the soft mud which allows each lug to dig in and bite. However, in mud with a hard bottom, the tire will come to rest on the center lug. This effect leaves less of the lugs biting edge in the mud. That means you have less lug surface to pull from which = less forward traction. The flatter profile of these tires also further enhances the efficiency of the lugs. The more lug edge that comes in contact with the ground, the larger the biting surface which = more traction. Also, the lugs wrap the shoulder/sidewall of the tire to help bite on either side of the ruts. This is effective because it gives you roughly 40% more biting surface, the ability to grab more traction on the inside and outside of ruts and it helps keep you up on top of the ruts, which prevents them from falling into the rut and high centering. This gives them a paddle effect compared to other tires. That is where they get their "paddle" reputation from. Highlifter definitely did their homework designing these tires. No other tire will top them for shear forward traction in mud.
    2) Gorilla Silverback - The 27x12/27x10 Gorilla Silverback is a relatively new but proven tire that is nipping at the heels of the Outlaws. It's lug pattern/design incorporates proven technology from the Highlifter Outlaws as well as some new design features. These tires have 1.5" deep two stage lugs with deep siping that wrap to the sidewall of the tire. They also feature an extra 5 blade paddle-like lug that runs the entire length of the sidewall. The tread spacing on these tires is larger than any mud tire currently in production. It features a long, cup shaped lug that starts on the shoulder of the tire and crosses the center line of the tire by roughly and inch, or 60% of the contact patch. The cup shaped lug is effective in the same manner that the Outlaws cupped lugs are. However, the lug crosses the center line of the tire, which prevents equal lug bite from both sets of lugs on either side of the tire. In deep, thick, soft clay mud, this is a non issue. But, when climbing out of a hole or up a slick embankment, the lack of biting edges in contact with the ground cannot bite and the tire will slip on the center line lug. This is one area where the Outlaw is superior to the Silverback. The shorter secondary lug of the Silverback differs from that of the Outlaw in that is it almost completely horizontal. This design makes it a more efficient bite than that of the Outlaws secondary (short) lug. The Outlaw's secondary lugs are a cup design. This design is beneficial in some cases. However, the secondary lugs are not long enough to benefit from the "cup" design. The more horizontal design of the Silverback's secondary lug is able to use 100% of it's biting edge vs roughly 60% of the Outlaws cupped secondary lug. The Silverback also has a slightly more rounded profile vs the Outlaw. They are not overly rounded, but, the slight "ballooning" of the carcass leaves them with a slightly smaller contact patch than the Outlaws. The 27x10 Silverbacks are about 1.5" wider than the 27x9.5 Outlaws and feature more shoulder/sidewall wrap. This gives the Silverbacks a slight edge at times in ruts. These two tires are very close and the difference in performance is only noticeable in the described situations. The Outlaws lack of a center line lug gives them the slight edge in overall forward traction and mud performance. 
    *** (I think it's worth mentioning that when both the Outlaw and Silverback are mounted on a "Crushlock" wheel, the Silverback's design puts more lug on the ground and is slightly better than the Outlaw)

3) Interco TSL Vampire/EDL Vampire combo - The combination of the 27x12 TSL Vampire/28x10 EDL Vampire is a very close 3rd to the Outlaw and Silverback. While listed at 28", the EDL Vampires are actually right at 27" tall, which makes them the perfect match for the 27x12 TSL's. Both tires feature the same 3 stage lugs with a sharper, slightly more vertical angle than that of the Silverback and Outlaw and virtually no side/shoulder lug. The EDL has 2" deep lugs while the TSL has 1.3" deep lugs. The 3 stage lugs are angled more vertical and are nearly perfect for climbing. They have no center line lug which allows both sets of lugs on each tire to bite evenly. They pitch/angle of the lugs bite in and they shed the mud out the side of the tire. Their ability to quickly self-clean makes them perform excellent when turning the tires slowly or when your trying to technically maneuver a particular line through a hole. The angle of the lugs and open center line of the tire, combined with the full 2" tread depth of the EDL's up front make these tires the absolute best for climbing up and out of ruts. Their foward traction is excellent as well. But, they fall short of the Outlaw and Silverback mainly due to their lack of a side/shoulder traction. This makes them sit farther down in the ruts vs the other two. That is what gives them their "digging" reputation. With a lug that tapered up at the shoulder and side lugs equal to that of the Outlaw/Silverback, these tires would likely be in the #1 spot!
    4) Maxxis Mudzillas - I rank these tires at a more distant 4th. These tires have widely spaced lugs that are 1.5" deep. The primary lug has good angle until it crosses the center line of the tire. It then runs nearly vertical down the center for around 3". The secondary lugs are only about 4" long, and 3" of the lug is vertical leaving roughly 1" of biting surface. These two factors severely hurt the performance of these tires. The Mudzilla's have the least efficient design of all the tires in this comparison and are also the worst for climbing. Only 50% of the primary lug and 25% of the secondary lug provide forward traction/bite. The rest of the lug edges are to vertical to provide positive forward traction. The Mudzilla's deep lugs do provide good traction in deep, soupy mud and thick clay mud. But, they do not have the traction of the other three at the point of contact. The large amount of vertical lug doesn't allow them to "bite into" the terrain and propel the bike forward. Instead, they slip and spin on top of the mud until they finally sink deep enough for the biting edges of the lugs to grab enough traction to move forward. This is why you can see these tires spinning in the mud much more than Outlaws, Silverbacks or Vampires. The Mudzilla's are deceiving to look at. They look far more aggressive than they actually are. There is more wasted lug on these tires than any other i've seen. If not for the lug depth and the lug spacing, these tires would have been at #5 instead of #4. If the Mudzilla had the lug pattern of the Zilla, or if the the Zilla had the lug depth/profile of the Mudzilla, Maxxis would have a much better tire.
    5) **tie**
    A) Maxxis Mud Bugs -
    These tires are a level below the top 3, but actually very close to #4. They have 1.25" deep dual stage lugs with minimal shoulder/side tread. The lugs are more tightly spaced and shallower than the top three. They have a more verical angle to their lugs vs the Outlaw/Silverback, but with less "pitch" than the Vampires. The primary lug crosses the center line of the tire. They provide good bite in all types of mud, but fall short of the others in overall mud traction due to their tread depth, lug spacing, center line lug and stiffer lugs. In all but the soft, thick clay mud, they pull as good as the Mudzilla's.   
    B) Highlifter Outlaw Radial - The 27x12/27x9.5 Outlaw Radials have 1" tall single stage lugs on the contact patch and dual stage side lugs. The tread pattern of these tires is laid out extremely flat. Combine that with the radial construction, and they are nearly 100% effecient. The lugs reach the center line of the tire, but do not cross leaving a small, but open center line which gives them excellent forward traction and very good climbing ability. They also have good shoulder/side wall lug wrap for a little extra grip in ruts. But, the side lug depth isn't enough to give them a significant edge over the Vampires or Mudzillas in ruts. They angle of the lugs is closer to that of the Vampires, but with more of a Outlaw-like cup shape on the outer 1/3 of the lug. If the tread depth of these tires were as taller, they would be close to the top of this list. But, the shallower tread by comparison, which was designed to make them more versatile outside of the mud, holds them back in the thicker, softer mud.

You said you're doing the 27" tires first, so are you doing other size tire write ups too?

By the way that was a very informative review on the tires.

-07 Brute
    -04 Outlander
    LindenBoyz1
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 957
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 18:52:05 (permalink)
    to much time on ur hands lol jk man tht was a great write up  with all the top mud tires

Honda 2009 IRS  420
    31in laws skinny/wide 
    Slasher B6 Rims
    Gorilla Stage 1 Lift
    Turner GR
    HMF Penland Pipe
    PcIII
    Snorkled
    1.5in spring spacer
    Tunes
    Rad on Rack
    1.5in Wheel Spacers 
    Gorilla axles on all 4 corners
    Clutch Kit (waiting to install) 
    Tinted lights

Shut up and Follow
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 19:10:16 (permalink)
    juniormudder, yes. I will a review of the 29.5"- 32" tires next.

LindenBoyz1, having too much time on your hands is a good thing!

~ Cale Sanders  
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    c.r.harmon
    Outlaw
    • Total Posts : 3064
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 20:18:26 (permalink)
    CRSBear400

I will a review of the 29.5"- 32" tires next.

Im looking forward to this one! 

and good write up!

'03 CAT 400
    Enough mods to run with, and over some, big bores

Off Road, High powered golf cart, and dirtbikes for sale/ trade- Pm me
    strummer
    Puddle Jumper
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 20:31:24 (permalink)
    can ya do one on the itp 589?
    jbracey1031
    Mud Maniac
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 20:34:10 (permalink)
    Great write up, It would be nice to see a write for bigger tires..

09 grizzly EPS
    2" HL Lift
    Custom Snorkel
    Clutch tuned
    PC5
    HMF Penland Pro
    29.5's
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 20:50:20 (permalink)
    strummer

can ya do one on the itp 589?

I could give you my experience with them if that's what your interested in.

~ Cale Sanders  
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    Rhino8123
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 21:18:26 (permalink)
    What tires do you have experience with CRSBear400? I'm looking at some Gators, but have limited experience knowledge with them. I'm wanting a moderate mud tire with trial capabilities.

2008 Grizz 700 Red:
    28x9.5 Outlaw MSTs
    12" ITP SS212 Black wheels.

Wish List:
    Power Commander
    HMF Pipe (Red)
    Clutch Kit
    Backrest
    Cargo boxes.
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/11 21:34:07 (permalink)
    I have experience with basically all of them. The Gators are a good mud tire. They are basically a less expensive version of the Mud Bugs. I've owned both of them. What goes for one, goes for the other. They perform identical on the trails and in the mud. With that said, I think they are geared more for mud than they are for trail. They're lug pattern just doesn't make them the best choice for all-terrain traction. They'll get the job done on the trail, but they are definitely a better mud tire than they are a trail tire. For a more versatile tire that's close in performance to the Gators, I recommend the Highlifter MST's or the ITP XTR's. You get close to the same performance in mud with a more traction everywhere outside of the mud.

~ Cale Sanders  
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 11:31:40 (permalink)
    jbracey1031

Great write up, It would be nice to see a write for bigger tires..

Thanks. I want to do two separate write ups on the 29.5" - 30" and 31" - 32", then do the composite of 29.5" - 32". I waiting to get a little more ride time with the 31x11" Outlaws before I do the write up.

~ Cale Sanders  
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    madppcs
    Outlaw
    • Total Posts : 3122
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 11:48:25 (permalink)
    Awesome stuff! I always love reading threads like this. Maybe we can make this a sticky, so we dont see anymore (What tire is right for me?) threads..

Jason Kniesche
    Team Anytinggoes
    2010 Dodge Cummins (Mega Cab) Lifted, Modded, Deleted. 
    12' Outlander Catvos XMR
    10' Outlander 800 XT-P
    2011 RZR XP900 LE (White Lightining)
    Gone but never forgotten:
    07 Outty 500
    09 Renegade 800
    80(ish) Suzuki 230 

HondaGuy
    Respected Member
    • Total Posts : 10385
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 12:47:20 (permalink)
    Great writeup man! Very very insightfull, I'm looking forward to reding your "big" tire review.

His: 04 Honda Rubicon 500, FO-04, jetted, snorkeled, radiator relocated, 2" lifted, SuperATV disc brakes at both ends, 14x7 HL XL2s, 30x10 Silverback X-Lites

Hers: 05 Honda Recon 250 snorkeled, Highlifter 2" lift, 14x7 HL XL2s, 26x9 Zillas
    riverrider420
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1394
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 13:41:39 (permalink)
    Great work. I think a moderator should save it under a new topic on tire talk to help people choosing some 27s.

2010 Outlander 800 XT w/ dps
    - 31" Laws on black HD3's
    - Snorkels
    - Dalton clutch kit
    - Power commander 5
    - Hmf utility
    - 2" rubber down lift
    - Highlifter HD tie rods
    - White HID's

Gone:
    12' 420
    06' Brute
    08' 420
    J_Fred
    Respected Member
    • Total Posts : 8169
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 15:57:17 (permalink)
    This needs to be stickied.  I agree with most of what was said.  I also like how you explain why they are better.

Cale, do you have any experience with the Mud Machine Magnums?  I would be willing to bet they could bump the Mudzillas down, but I have limited seat time on them.

"I don't get stuck, I just lose traction and stop moving."
    ----------
    Arctic Cat 650 V2
    31 Outlaws, VFJ Stage II Primary
    Teryx Gear Reduction with 4.0 Differentials
    1.5 inch MTI lift and Arched Arms
    ----------
    RZR 800 
    31 Outlaws, Highlifter Lift
    GWC
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 35688
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 16:05:08 (permalink)
    Yes Nice right up on your opinions about these tires this should really help some people out.
    Thanks for your time doing so.

I went through a deleted a few post to clean this up, would be good to keep the posting down to question about this post and not take it off into a different direction.
    stuck.

08 650H1 L.E.
    LimeGreen/Black, Rad racked, Dual 3" snorkels
    Custom 2.5" lift & MP shocks front,Polaris shocks
    Custom tie rods ;
    11:1 Wisco & WebCam 417, Dynatech CDI,AMR racing coil,Dyno jet kit
    400 oil cooler,Jet-Hot coated header & muffler
    Fully clutched BY:PSC: 4.0 gears
    Custom gauges & some Limegreen Strobes
    Sanny Bushings,Aluminum Skids, Set of 04 floor boards
    HL wheel spacer 1" & 1.5", Viper Max 3000
    29.5" Laws on ITP type 7s

TrailBlazer23
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 16:07:35 (permalink)
    GREAT write up....... This is a VERY good unbiased review.... IMOP....Good job.
    post edited by TrailBlazer23 - 2010/01/13 12:21:10
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/12 21:09:34 (permalink)
    J_Fred

This needs to be stickied.  I agree with most of what was said.  I also like how you explain why they are better.

Cale, do you have any experience with the Mud Machine Magnums?  I would be willing to bet they could bump the Mudzillas down, but I have limited seat time on them.

Yes, i've owned 2 sets of the Mud Machine Magnums. I've ran the Tri/Bi-Claw combo as well as all Tri-Claws. They are very close to the Mudzilla's in performance, but they do not self-clean as well. It's basically the same tread pattern, but the Tri-Claws pack a third lug in the formation. That lug reaches all the way across (close to 85%) the contact patch. This makes them pack up extremely quick and it takes a lot of high speed wheel spin to clean them out. This also severely hinders their ability to climb slick banks, which is crucial when exiting a mud hole. The Bi-Claws actually perform slightly better than the Mudzilla's because their tread angle of the primary and secondary lug is less vertical. The Claws are another tire will deceive you because it looks more aggressive than it actually is. I find that the Outlaw Radials and the Mudbugs outperform them in the mud. A bonus though is that the Tri/Bi-Claws perform surprizingly well outside of the mud. They handle great on the trails for a "mud" tire. If you look at the tread pattern of the Tri-Claws in particular, there are several similarities between them and the Bighorns. They're good tires and would likely be my 6th best selection. But, their performance somewhat disappoints me in the mud compared to the other tires in this review.

~ Cale Sanders  
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    riverrider420
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1394
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/13 21:07:25 (permalink)
    Im glad this is saved to help me and all the others when picking 27s, probaly the most common tire.

2010 Outlander 800 XT w/ dps
    - 31" Laws on black HD3's
    - Snorkels
    - Dalton clutch kit
    - Power commander 5
    - Hmf utility
    - 2" rubber down lift
    - Highlifter HD tie rods
    - White HID's

Gone:
    12' 420
    06' Brute
    08' 420
    lilgrizz450
    Grass Hog
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/14 12:39:55 (permalink)
    Are carlisle mud wolfs a good tire for mud and trail?
    foremud21
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/14 13:03:20 (permalink)
    27" zillas didnt beat the mud bugs?

SOLD  Team Green 2008 brute 750 
    sold outty 650
    sold brute 750
    sold foreman 500
    sold rincon 650
    outdrsmn82
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/14 13:14:32 (permalink)
    very nice there cale. very nice info on each of them. will help save ALOT of multiple posts asking the same questions. lol.

TEAM ANYTING GOES
    WALLACE #82
    09 Mud Pro 700 (BEAST)
    29.5" Terminators on SS312's, PCV, speedwerx exhaust, ///AIRDAM 1-3, rad lifted, alum motor mounts, SLD welded, HID's, gorilla tie rods, & 4.0's.
    Supporter of:
    Papa Slap clutching, Just add dirt, HPAC, mudders mag, Tiger tail, Wild Boar
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/14 19:49:54 (permalink)
    lilgrizz450

Are carlisle mud wolfs a good tire for mud and trail?

I have never put any seat time or rode with anyone who has a set of Mud Wolf's, so I really can't say.

~ Cale Sanders  
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    CRSBear400
    Respected Member
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/14 19:52:50 (permalink)
    foremud21

27" zillas didnt beat the mud bugs?

I've had time on a set of the 28" Zilla's. They are a good all around tire and they performed well in the mud. They are very close to the Mudbugs, but IMO they did not quite feel like they hooked up quite as good as the Mudbugs in the thicker mud and ruts.
    post edited by CRSBear400 - 2010/01/14 19:55:13

~ Cale Sanders  
    SOLD!!!
    '14 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800
    Interco.
    Mud Monster
    • Total Posts : 394
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/15 15:40:50 (permalink)
    Very nice write up Cale, even on my methadone i managed to read it all!

09 PPE Duramax
    It's Stock, But It Smokes! 

Go Green With A Diesel!! 

kwd12
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/16 09:25:09 (permalink)
    What about larger tires ,I currently have 30 im silverbacks but am thinking of getting 31 in outlaws next.. 700 grizz with rhino axels, 2 in lift,,
    undisputedattitude
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2314
    Re:MUD TIRE COMPARISON!! 2010/01/16 10:22:53 (permalink)
    Good info on all of these tires

07 Grizzly700,Warn Winch,EHS PowerTip,Pod Mod,HID lights,shockwears,27"zillas on ss212s,full Ricochet skids.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5