LockedKawasaki Bayou 250 Carb. HELP!

Author
BIGT25
Mud Master
  • Total Posts : 688
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/16 20:48:33 (permalink)

Kawasaki Bayou 250 Carb. HELP!

I have a 2004 kawasaki bayou 250 that is owned by an older neighbor.  He brought it to me complaining that it was sputtering and the would not start..   I drained the fuel which looked fine , and checked the air filter, etc..  It was firing but would not start.  I put a new plug and she fired right up (old one very fuel fouled) It ran perfect , thought well that was probably it , but decided i would take it for a spin.   Once it warms up it stumbles on tip in of the throttle.  under load or just setting in neutral..  Don' t have to hit it hard just lightly throttle it and it stumbles (rich i believe) and then clears up..   Took carb off minor residue in bowl, put back together same thing ONLY once it warms up.  It is BETTER with the airbox lid off but still there..   I believe it is rich but i have no clue why and the only adjustment besides the idle does not seem to affect it very much..  It was at 2 and a half turns out i currently have it at 2  turns and it seems a tiny bit better..  plug looks black sooty (rich) after running it for a while..   The enrichment valve /choke seems fine and not binding or anything it idles rock steady just stumbles on acceleration. 

HELP!! 

Which way would lean it up a tad on the throttle needle adjustment?  (auto mechanic by trade but some atv stuff too..  ) 

09 850 xp w/stuff
10 850 xp w/stuff
09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro w/stuff
07 Can Am 650 max xt w/stuff
08 Ranger 800 conversion w/stuff

2 Replies Related Threads

Jazdude64
    Mud Monster
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Kawasaki Bayou 250 Carb. HELP! 2007/07/17 22:00:47 (permalink)
    Check the upper frame tube that supplies air from the front end to the airbox for dirt dobber nests. You might stand the bike on the rear rack and tap on the frame with a hammer. I have had this problem with a couple atvs that had sat up a short time. The obstruction will choke off the air supply causing a "rich" running condition. Hope this helps...It'll run at idle but the second it starts sucking in air,,it gets choked off.

2005 Honda Rancher 350 ES 4x4 Green-Wire mesh racks,Stick Stoppers,overhead wiremesh rack,backrest,passenger footrests,Warn T2500 Winch w/ synthetic line,Trailer Dog, Benz Silent Rider Exhaust System+Kolpin Stealth Muffler,tilt&tote game hauler... 
    BIGT25
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Kawasaki Bayou 250 Carb. HELP! 2007/07/17 22:09:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jazdude64

Check the upper frame tube that supplies air from the front end to the airbox for dirt dobber nests. You might stand the bike on the rear rack and tap on the frame with a hammer. I have had this problem with a couple atvs that had sat up a short time. The obstruction will choke off the air supply causing a "rich" running condition. Hope this helps...It'll run at idle but the second it starts sucking in air,,it gets choked off.

I had a big bear do that to me one time..  but this one is not setup that way..  It has to slots in the back of the airbox lid where it feeds air..  And it runs fine once you get past the stumble..  It  is only off idle at the tip in of the throttle..

Thanks ,BigT

09 850 xp w/stuff
    10 850 xp w/stuff
    09 Arctic Cat Mud Pro w/stuff
    07 Can Am 650 max xt w/stuff
    08 Ranger 800 conversion w/stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5