LockedHow to rejet my brute or know if it needs it?

Author
2004sierraz71
Mud Master
  • Total Posts : 892
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/07 13:17:05 (permalink)

How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it?

I have been looking into rejetting my brute. I dont think it runs bad, but when its cool and you first run it, it spits and sputters till its ran hard, then it runs fine. I have a hmf pipe, dyna and some 27's on it, but everything else is stock. I was wondering if i need to rejet, and have been looking for how to's on it for my brute but cant find any. Plus I dont know anything about jetting(sizes/installation). I tried the choke test, but didnt really notice anything, besides a stumble then it straitens out. So I am at a loss. I know I can jet it, just not sure what size or how to. Plus I dont think my choke works right. Sometimes it does, sometimes it dont. Why would it do that. Sorry for all the questions, but i cant afford to take it somewhere and i know i can do it with some help. Thanks.

11 Replies Related Threads

Outlaw Extremist
    • Total Posts : 32773
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 14:06:14 (permalink)
    Jetting is not that hard at all but it does take time..  So get ready to take the carbs off four or five times..  And yes you do need to rejet it if you placed a HMF on it...

08 brute 650
    28 swamplites on rattlesnakes
    highliter springs
    2in lift
    dynatek cdi
    almond secondary
    2004sierraz71
    Mud Master
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 14:44:11 (permalink)
    yeah but i dont know what jet sizes to run and aint real familiar with the carbs on this bike. As far as time, i dont really care, but i want to get it right.
    jakedogg
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 16:23:08 (permalink)
    Well, either get a Dynojet kit and use the stock needles, or get a handful of Keihn jets from your dealer. Dynojet comes with instructions and recommendations as far as the size jets, and HMF will recommed jetting also. And FIX YOUR CHOKE while you're at it.

Brute Force 650 (SRA)

25 Gators on MSA Torks
    Dyna CDI
    Custom Skids & Bumper
    Water Temp Gauge
    HMF
    2004sierraz71
    Mud Master
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 18:51:06 (permalink)
    well i dont knwo what size jets i need. I added a hmf pipe and dyna only. Also I have never pulled carbs before, dont know what new seals i will need, and dont know the best way to remove them. If I can get it right, I would love to snorkal it and then get it right. But I have heard people having a ton of problems and dont want that. But I could REALLY use some snorkals! How do I know what jets to get. Also Has anybody bought the dyna kit and still have the instructions they could fax/scan and email me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    burglett
    Mud Maniac
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 19:13:01 (permalink)
    what do u mean fix ur choke

07 650i
    LRD Torc exhaust
    MIMB Snorkels
    Butch
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 870
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 19:16:44 (permalink)
    check this out it should help http://www.mudanddirt.com/tech/jetting101/

2007 Brute 750 Team Green 2" HL lift, 2" snorkel, 29.5 Laws, Outlaw clutch kit, HMF Pipe, a bunch of stickers.

03 Rincon Sold!
    Joins us for a ride! www.southernmudslingers.com
    2004sierraz71
    Mud Master
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 19:25:04 (permalink)
    Thanks a ton butch. Thats exactly what i needed. Ok so with the info, I know i am running rich now. So what needs to be done? I am really wanting to add some snorkels if i need to jet and all of this. Will it make it more rich or lean it out?
    CanadainBrute750
    Dirt Monster
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 19:34:53 (permalink)
    I feel like I'm going to get charged with copy-write law![:D]

This is from "RYANC750" I posted this fellow's write up a few times because it's a good write up for the do it your selfers!!![;)]

I also used this along with the dyno jet instructions using the jet size in this post!
    Hope this helps as i did for me!!!

This is the way I jetted my Brute 750, installing a Dynojet kit, and HMF slip on exhaust.

First, Its best to take all the front plastics off in my opinion.
    Take the front rack off!
    All bolts for plastics they will be all around the foot boards, headlights, and under the seat
    Dont forget the pod around the steering wheel.
    Unplug the connectors from the "cigarette" lighter.
    Unscrew the plastic screw around the key switch
    Unscrew your Hi/Low/Neutral/Reverse Knob.
    Take your airbox lid off....
    Now you can lift the plastics and work them off towards the front of the bike.

Once you have the plastics off, the hard part is done haha
    Well now, unscrew the 2 screws on the front of the airbox (One holding the Intake tube, other holding the "white canister" from the carb lines.)
    Un bolt the airbox, 2 bolts that are located on Rear Left & Top Right. Then unscrew the clamps that are coming up from the carbs to the airbox, there also will be another hose connected to the airbox... Once all removedlift the airbox and set to the side.

Now, you need to disconnect that main fuel supply line, close to the "Tee" on the Right side of the engine (looking from the rear of bike)...This hose should have some kind of braided covering about mid way of the hose. Also, on the right side there are two electrical heater wires and a ground that needs to be disconnected...... On the left side there will be two more vent lines that go to the "white canister" just pull them off and sit to the side... Then there is one drain line going down that you will see, just unplug that too.... Now loosen the two hose clamps that hold the carb boots (bottom of carb).. Do not disconnect throttle cable or choke cables, b/c you have enough slack to pull it up and do the work without having to take them off...

Now pick straight up on the carbs... they shall come up fairly easy and now you can pull them and set them on there side ( I sat the carbs on top of my front tire.)
    Now that you have the carbs off, Take the two "black plastic covers" off of each side of the carbs.. Take your Dynojet kit and get the following out: Drill bit, springs, needles, washers & C Clips.
    Now that you have this stuff off, pull the rubber diaphram off of the carbs... Do one side at a time... Take the plastic "Spider like" piece out and slide the needle out.. Take the drill bit supplied and drill a hole just like shown in the dynojet instructions...Now go back with your new needle, but put the C-Clip on the 4th notch and ONE washer Underneath the clip, instead of on top like the Dynojet instructions say...Now take some snips and cut off one of the legs on that "White spider piece"...Once you set the spider piece in, it should line up where the hole you drilled with the leg you cut off...
    Put the assembly back in the carb. and do the other side the same way!

Now that you have both carbs done, its time for the main jets...

My elevation is about 150-200 ft so I used the Jets 144 in the front and 148 in the rear... Take the bottom bowls off of each carb (4 screws holding it on), Take a flathead screw driver and take out the OEM main jet. Replace with the 144 in front and 148 in rear. Dynojet recomends running a 150 and 155, but they are too rich.... Now after the main jets are installed, put the bowls back on... Then for the adjustment screw shown in the pic of the instructions, there will be alil aluminum covering that up, just take the drill bit that you used earlier and drill into it alil, and take a pick and pop them out... screw it in all the way and then back it out to 2.75 turns...Go back together with everything like you took it apart, and you should be good to go... Put the airbox back on and make sure you test run it before installing your plastics.

Disclaimer:
    This worked great for me and don't hold me responsible if this setup doesnt work for you. Thanks Toby for the help while I was installing my Jet kit. I was not very technical with the terms b/c the intended purpose is for someone who may not know much about carbs, so they could understand...If anything is missing, Feel free to add!!!

Kawasaki Brute force 750i.
    26x10x12 Rears 25x10x12 Fronts (GATORS)
    Dyno jet kit,Moose module,K&N,
    BIG-GUN head pipes & muffler.
    LED Accent lights.
    2004sierraz71
    Mud Master
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 19:46:26 (permalink)
    I swear you guys never let me down. I believe i am going to snorkel my brute, and vent all the lines, plus while all the plastic is off, I am going to dielectric grease all of my electrical fittings. Now the next thing. How many lines total, needs to be ran up. I know there is atleast to for the diffs, one for the gas tank, and what else?
    2004sierraz71
    Mud Master
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 19:51:09 (permalink)
    Also will I lose power, top or bottom after jetted correctly. I have heard some say yes, but mud and dirt says different.
    GoatManx
    Outlaw
    • Total Posts : 4400
    RE: How to rejet my brute or know if it needs it? 2008/10/07 22:21:40 (permalink)
    The bikes not going to run great when its cold... Motors like more fuel when they're cold thats what chokes are for.

Kawasaki Teryx 820 V-Twin
    Polaris Rzr 800 Twin
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5