LockedGrizzly Bearing Replacement How-To

Author
mud_dog450
Respected Member
  • Total Posts : 4520
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/19 19:10:52 (permalink)

Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To

I figured while I had mine apart I'd make a little how-to for those who would like to replace their bearing on their own.  This is for my 2002 Grizzly 660, but the idea is the same for the 03+ 660s.  The 03+ 660s have some differences.  Single bearing setup and a staked axle nut instead of a cotter pin just to name a few.

Anywho, away we go.  My Grizzly is pretty much stripped right now.

Torque Specs:
Lug Nuts: 40ft-lbs.
Axle Nut: 145ft-lbs.
Caliper Bolts: 22ft-lbs.
Upper Ball Joint Castle Nut: 18ft-lbs.
Lower Ball Joint Bolt/Nut: 35ft-lbs.
Tie Rod End Castle Nut: 18ft-lbs.
Brake Line Hold-down: 7.2ft-lbs.

Items:
Bearings and Seals
Wheel Bearing Grease
Jackstands
Jack
6MM Allen Key Socket
12MM, 14MM, 17MM Sockets
14MM, 17MM, 24MM Wrench
Cheater Pipe
Steel Bar
Pry Bar
Torque Wrench
Needle Nose Pliers
Ball Peen Hammer (or 2lb Sledge)
Flat-Point Punch
Cotter Pins
Anti-Seize

First off, break loose your lug nuts while the bike is on the ground.  That way you don't have to deal with doing so with the tires spinning freely.  Then jack the bike up and secure it on jackstands. 

Now pull the wheel off and remove the cotter pin from the axle nut.

Now to break loose the axle nut.  It's on there at about 145ft-lbs of torque so it can be quite fun to remove.  I use a handle for a hydraulic jack (or another steel pipe) and stick it through the hub and let the other end rest on the ground.  This holds the hub secure while you break loose the nut.  I use a 24MM wrench and a cheater pipe.

Remove the axle nut and washer.

Then remove the caliper by removing the two mounting bolts on the backside of the hub assembly.

You can now remove the hub/rotor assembly.  When you remove the assembly, make sure you find the o-ring that's hiding between the two pieces.  Make sure you keep that thing safe and be careful when re-assembling it so you don't cut it.  Give it a good coat of grease upon re-assembly and you're all set to go.

Now take out the cotter pins on the upper and lower ball joints and remove the nut on the top, and the nut and bolt on the lower.

Do the same to the tie rod.

Now take a good sized hammer (2lb or 4lb sledge works great) and hit the cast iron park of the knuckle that surrounds the tie rod (red arrow).  Do NOT hit the tie rod head or the threaded stud.  After a few good smacks with a hammer, you will be able to pull the tie rod end out of the knuckle.

Now do the same to the upper ball joint, hitting only where the red arrow is pointing.

When you have the upper joint loose, push down on the knuckle and pull the top of it outwards to clear the knuckle of the top ball joint stud.  While you're here, take a 6MM allen key socket and remove the bolt that holds the brake line to the knuckle.

Now, for the lower ball joint all you need to do is pry up on the underside of the knuckle.  You may need to give it a good smack with a hammer to loosen up the ball joint stud, but you'll need to pry the knuckle up off of the stud in order to remove it.  Yes, I'm using a screwdriver as a prybar which is wrong, but I couldn't find my prybar.  Just be careful not to pinch the ball joint boot while doing this.

Once you have the knuckle pried off of the lower ball joint, you can pull the assembly off of the axle splines.

Now is the fun part.

Inside the hub are two bearings and a spacer.  The spacer is between the two bearings and just "floats" around in there.

First we need to remove the seals.  There are special seal removers, but I just use a large tipped flat blade screwdriver.  Since you are replacing the seals anyways (I'm reusing mine in this guide for show because mine aren't here yet) you won't need to worry about hurting them.  Wedge the screwdriver underneath the seal and twist the handle of the screwdriver.

Keep going around the perimeter of the seal and it will pop out.  Do this to both sides.

Now that you have the seals out you can start knocking the bearings out.  You can place the assembly in a vice or you can knock it around on the ground like myself.  I've got a small section of I-Beam I am using as a base.  If you don't have a sturdy enough base, the blows with your hammer won't be as hard as they would be with a steel base.

Anywho, take a punch and push the spacer to the side enough to where you can get a punch on the bearing on the opposite side of the hub.  Each bearing must be knocked out of it's own side, so it doesn't matter which side you start with.  The first one is always the most difficult.

Here's one of the bearings and the spacer removed from the hub.

Then flip the hub over and knock the other bearing out from the other side.  Make sure you knock it out using the inner race since you can't hit the outer race.  There is a bearing stop ring inside the bore that basically is a depth stop for the bearings so they won't be installed too deeply.  Don't hit that part, only the inner race of the bearing.

Anywho, I remove a seal on a bearing to show you what's inside there tearing them up.

New bearing ready to be installed.  This is not a Yamaha bearing, but a bearing by ORS.  When getting bearings from a bearing supply shop, they only really need to know the "6006 2RS C3" part.  If they carry ORS Bearings, then give them the whole number.  These bearings are dual sealed, and I think the stock Yamaha ones are only single sealed.  It's been awhile since I've seen one.

You can now pack the bearing bore with grease to help keep the water and mud out of the bearings.  Place the new bearing in the bore. 

Then using an old bearing, place it on the new one as a driver.  Make sure you only drive the new bearing in by hitting it on the outer race (red arrow).  Do NOT hit the inner race on the new bearings.  This can bend the cage and cause premature wear.

Do NOT use the old bearing to drive the new one all the way in.  If you do so, then the old bearing will be stuck in the bearing bore along with the new bearing and is really difficult to remove.  I've done it.  You don't want to.  Once the near bearing is flush or just below the surface, take your punch and drive the bearing in the rest of the way, moving the punch around the perimeter of the outer bearing race to drive it in evenly.  Again, ONLY hit the outer race of the bearing to drive it in. 

You will feel your hits with the hammer get really solid and that's when you know the bearing has seated against the stop.

Now take your new seal, throw some more grease in on top of the bearing and install the seal by tapping it in with the punch.  Same thing here as the bearings.  Only hit them on the outer perimeter so you don't damage the lips.

Once the seal is flush with the bearing hub, you're good to do the other side.

Flip the hub over, drop in the bearing spacer, and install the new bearing and seal on this side.  Once that's done, you can reverse the disassembly and put everything back together.

When you install new cotter pins during re-assembly, you may encounter a problem with the holes not lining up with the spaces on the castle nuts.  If you come across this after you have torqued the nuts, DO NOT loosen the nuts in order to get the holes to line up.  You must only tighten the nuts to align the holes.

Also make sure you double check that you have all nuts and bolts tightened up to their proper specs.  You might also want to apply Anti-Seize to each of the nuts and bolts so the next time you tear everything apart, it comes apart easier.

Anywho, I think this covers everything, if I'm missing something or if you have any questions, PM me or feel free to post a reply!
post edited by mud_dog450 - 2009/03/19 19:51:25

The Mud Brothers
Goin' Deep Since 2004!
02 Grizz 660...umm...7??
Everything Snorkeled
Clutch Work
29.5 Laws on Vision Buckshots

Wet Nitrous and custom EFI conversion in the works...

Muddin Videos

11 Replies Related Threads

BBbfun
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 704
    RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/03/19 19:36:11 (permalink)
    Awesome write up, I always thought we needed a sticky for wheels bearings since the process is basically the same on most bikes. Thanks!

08 Big Bear 
    S L A B- Slow Loud and Bangin'

Wifes
    08 Grizzly 350 
    tach, 25 inch Zillas 

tak
    Mud Maniac
    • Total Posts : 317
    RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/03/19 21:48:08 (permalink)
    Did u stay at a holiday inn express??   lol j/k

no joke though.  awesome job on the post.  we need more like this and they need to be STICKYD

TAK
    New 08' Grizz, is here!!! Just starting to get broke in...  60 miles so far...

07' Grizzly 700 with EPS, Twin Air filter, and 14in. ITP SS108 Black rims with 27in Mud Lite XTR's

2r Racing power tip. It's just like taking the spark arrestor out and it sounds decent. Plus 50$$ compared to $$300-400.

"Fun is judged by how unrecognizable you and your quad are."
    bckdrft75
    Mud Maniac
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/03/20 08:15:57 (permalink)
    Good job muddog... Did Redbull sponsor this? Nice shot of the Redbull cab. You must have been up late... LOL Anywho  Great write up... I agree on the sticky!!! [:D]

MINE
    2002 Grizzly 660
    28x10.5 Laws, Snorkeled,Rad Relocate,PoMan HMF, Dynojet tuned by MaD Motorsports,HL Clutch Kit,Orange EPI Spring,Overfenders,Warn winch,Milano Grips

My Myspace Page
    MUD MANIAX
    BB07
    Mud Monster
    • Total Posts : 413
    RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/03/20 09:15:50 (permalink)
    This needs to be added to the important links thread. Great write-up by the way!!!

**I BREAK EVERYTHING I TOUCH**
    2008 Camo Grizzly 660
    Custom Snorkels
    UNI Airfilter
    HL/Custom Radiator Relocation
    Under Construction
    mud_dog450
    Respected Member
    • Total Posts : 4520
    RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/03/20 10:17:31 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, the link was added to the Important Links for Yamaha Owners! thread at the top of the Yamaha Forum!  [;)]

I worked for a race team that was sponsored by RedBull.  I got all the goods.  [:D]

The Mud Brothers
    Goin' Deep Since 2004!
    02 Grizz 660...umm...7??
    Everything Snorkeled
    Clutch Work
    29.5 Laws on Vision Buckshots

Wet Nitrous and custom EFI conversion in the works...

Muddin Videos
    littlegrizz
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1522
    RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/03/20 13:16:43 (permalink)
    Nice set up[;)] glad i just saw this cause im tearing mine down and putting bearings in it next week

2007 Honda 500 foreman S
    Under the knife
    2004 Honda 450 ForeMAN S
    31" Laws
    SS 212s 
    4" Custom Lift 
    Highlifter Lift Springs
    Dyno Jet kit
    Gear Reduction
    EPI Clutch Kit
    Triangle ATV Snorkel
    HMF
    2001 Honda Foreman 400
    SNorkels
    Lift kit
    30 " Mudzillas
    2008 Polaris RZR 800
    30" S-backs SS rims
    3" lift
    Snorkels

2008 Suzuki Vinson
    27 inch mudlight XTRs
    1994 dodge 2500 4x4 12 valve
    Lots and lots of goodys under the hood
    780hp going to a set of 35 inch nitto mud grapplers
    18" ballistic jesters
    RAYCROFT_SUCKS
    Puddle Jumper
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/05/15 18:29:26 (permalink)
    ALWAYS remove the seal on the NEW bearings and pack the bearing with grease.  They will be shipped almost dry and wear out way faster than they should.!!
    rokke17
    Dirt Monster
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/05/18 09:12:38 (permalink)
    Nice write up.

"Red"

07 Grizz 660
    2500# Warn Winch
    27" MSTs
    Homemade SETX style snorkels
    Relocated radiator
    HMF Penland Pipe
    Kodiak weights and EPI orange spring

redGrizz
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2716
    Re: RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2009/05/18 12:48:05 (permalink)
    MudDog450 what you think about takin seal off new bearings and putting more greae in there? NICE WRITE UP!!!!
    post edited by redGrizz - 2009/05/18 12:49:11

4SALE: $6000
    '07  red Yamaha Grizzly 660
    30x9 Silverbacks, Polished aluminum c-loks, powdercoated red rings, 2" spacers, Gorilla Axles, HL 2" lift and springs, HL triple flow radiator custom mounted, HL/Autometer electric temp gauge, HMF Penland Pro slip on, UNI Filter, 6K Xentec H.I.D's (waterproof) Airbox and Belt Snorkeled blah blah blah..
    hovisms
    Trail Rider
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re: RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2010/04/18 13:24:09 (permalink)
    This may have saved my pry bar from being slung into the wall.  I believe I am going to attempt this now.  Pray for me. haha
    rokke17
    Dirt Monster
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: RE: Grizzly Bearing Replacement How-To 2010/04/19 13:27:15 (permalink)
    For reference information:

I pulled the stock bearing out of my 07 Grizz 660.  It was imprinted with the following info:
    Koyo DAC3055W-3

This is the double row ball bearing, not the one used in the 02's.  I cannot verify that the 03 to 06's use this, as I said, this was stock for an 07.

Koyo is a common bearing brand.  The dealer wanted $60 per bearing.  I sourced one through Applied Industrial Technologies (a common industrial suppler) for $35 each. 

"Red"

07 Grizz 660
    2500# Warn Winch
    27" MSTs
    Homemade SETX style snorkels
    Relocated radiator
    HMF Penland Pipe
    Kodiak weights and EPI orange spring

Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5