LockedDigital Display Not Working, Need Some Input....

Author
out west
Trail Rider
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/26 16:31:03 (permalink)

Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input....

I have a "new to me" 2006 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 XT that I just picked up.  I'm in the process of replacing the bevel gears right now, but I also noticed that the LCD display in the dash is not working.  It lights up red, but there is no readout at all (no mileage, gear indicator, etc.).  It is just blank.  I pulled out the display and took it apart.  Nothing wrong noticed.  I blew out the electrical connector going to it.  Again, nothing wrong noticed.  This is off a Prowler.  So not likely that it was ever submerged like some of what I've read.  I tested the fuses under the seat and they were all good.

Is my dash likely bad?  Are there any special things that I can do to test it?  Is there anybody out there that can test them? 

12 Replies Related Threads

Whitebandit
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2351
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/26 16:44:30 (permalink)
    You need another display. This happens if its not sealed correctly even though the displace hasent been in any water

Team Carnage             
    If it's Cheap and Reliable, it's not Fast.....If it's Fast and Cheap, it's not Reliable.....If it's Reliable and Fast, it's not Cheap!!!
    if it ain't broke.. keep fixing on it! 
    2012 Teryx 4. 30in monsters on black 14hd's

If you voted for Obama to prove your not racist- Who are you going to vote for to prove your not an idiot?
    SixOhh
    Respected Member
    • Total Posts : 6260
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/26 18:19:47 (permalink)
    yep, they suck and theres nothing anyone can do about it.

im a water rider and ive had about 5 of them replaced but i can guarantee 2 of them crapped out without water damage!

--2013 RZR 570--
    5" outkast, custom hydro dip
    32" Terms, S3 axles, SMD lighting,Strobage
    UTV INC switches,JL Audio /Memphis, PRP 5050 seats
    01' AC300
    crushed 29.5 OL2's by MyTater
    Strobes, snorks and a taste for water.

--- Follow Me To Void Your Warranty ---
    H-Town Off-Road
    A.Garess15
    Trail Rider
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/26 18:28:50 (permalink)
    My second one went out during a water ride, we wired another switch for the gauge pod and use my key ignition for only headlights. Has worked for me every ride since. My problem was in wiring.

08 Arctic Cat 500M
    Bayou snorkel
    ss Rims 
    28 in. Silverbacks 
    Cop Lights
    Speaker Box
    Custom exhaust snorkel
    Jet kit
    08Big Bear-
    Burnt to the ground

Bulldog66
    Respected Member
    • Total Posts : 2095
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/26 21:26:29 (permalink)
    Sixooh did a write up of how to seal it up. It's the only "insurance" you can do to it realy.

When I did mine, I used an ignition sealer and applied a few coats and let it dry before I buttoned it up.

07 H1 With a few mods.
    12' Wildcat. Stuff to come.
    Blake_Carter
    Mud Monster
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/26 22:16:35 (permalink)
    Mine did this recently, and all I did was take the battery out and let it sit for a bit. After that it worked again. Try this hope it works so you dont have to get a new one.

Blake

07 Arctic Cat 500m
    28" Laws
    Racked Radiator
    Custom 2" Snorkel
    Modded Stock Exhaust
    Front and Rear Bumpers

1984 Honda ATC 200es
    Under Construction
    wildcats650h1_400le
    Mud Pro
    • Total Posts : 1138
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/26 23:49:54 (permalink)
    ^^^same with me i had this happen on 3 bikes a few times and the fix was always letting the battery sit unhooked for awhile, like 15-30min

07 ArcticCat 400LE   
    Motosport rims
    AC Front&Rear Bumper 
    AC Hand Gaurds
    Warn Winch
    08 ArcticCat 650H1 MudPro Conversion   
    AC Hand Gaurds
    Bear Claw Winch
    Snorkeled
    DynoJets
    Mudzilla Tires
    Supertrapp Mudslinger Exhaust
    TONS OF POWER
    Soon to Come
       Clutch Kit
    out west
    Trail Rider
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/27 08:33:05 (permalink)
    The battery thing isn't going to work.  I've had the battery disconnected for a while because I have the motor pulled to replace the bevel gears.  I even have the display out of the machine right now to blow everything out.  No love with any of this.

There is no secret thing that the machine has to be moving for the dash to work or reset is there?  I purchased this Prowler broken, and it has been sitting for a couple years I guess.  So it has never "moved" since I've owned it.  I've had the motor running, but it has never "moved" because of the broken bevel gears.  Dash has never worked in my ownership.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something odd like I had to start driving down the road for the display to reset or work?
    out west
    Trail Rider
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/27 08:36:35 (permalink)
    Bulldog66

Sixooh did a write up of how to seal it up. It's the only "insurance" you can do to it realy.

When I did mine, I used an ignition sealer and applied a few coats and let it dry before I buttoned it up.

Can somebody send me this link to sealing up these units?  If I have to purchase a new unit, I may want to do this to it to hopefully prolong the life....

Pondtunes
    Mud Bogger
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/27 09:33:37 (permalink)
    out west
    There is no secret thing that the machine has to be moving for the dash to work or reset is there? 

No the only trick to getting them to work again is to unhook the battery for a while, if that doesen't work the display is shot. 
    Try looking on forums for a used working unit will be a bit cheaper than buying a new one.

We're Just Like You.... Only Dirtier...

My Rides:
    2005 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE (Black)
    - 28" Monkies
    - Whoolie Shop Underbody Lighting
    -Cat's Eyes Headlight LEDs
    - Clutch work Coming Soon!

2003 Honda Rancher ES (Rhino Linered Black)
    - Underbody LED Lighting
    - Rhino Linered Custom Mounted Cooler (Illuminated)
    - Fiberglass Stereo Enclosure for Front Rack
    1989 Yamaha Banshee (White)  SOLD!
    Whitebandit
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2351
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/27 14:24:05 (permalink)
    out west

Bulldog66

Can somebody send me this link to sealing up these units?  If I have to purchase a new unit, I may want to do this to it to hopefully prolong the life....

http://forum.highlifter.com/How-to-waterproof-your-podgauges-Write-up-w-pics-m3893352.aspx

Team Carnage             
    If it's Cheap and Reliable, it's not Fast.....If it's Fast and Cheap, it's not Reliable.....If it's Reliable and Fast, it's not Cheap!!!
    if it ain't broke.. keep fixing on it! 
    2012 Teryx 4. 30in monsters on black 14hd's

If you voted for Obama to prove your not racist- Who are you going to vote for to prove your not an idiot?
    out west
    Trail Rider
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/27 16:13:15 (permalink)
    Whitebandit

out west

Bulldog66

http://forum.highlifter.com/How-to-waterproof-your-podgauges-Write-up-w-pics-m3893352.aspx

Thanks for the link......

out west
    Trail Rider
    Re:Digital Display Not Working, Need Some Input.... 2011/12/28 03:18:06 (permalink)
    Would the LCD display from a 2006 AC 650H1 ATV work in a 2006 AC Prowler 650?  I did a parts search between the two.  The ATV is listed at part# 0520-002 and the Prowler is part# 0520-006.  Different part#'s but I was curious if they would still interchange?  What would be different about them?
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5