LockedDUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
emc
Mud Pro
  • Total Posts : 1933
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/17 17:19:14 (permalink)

DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ?

GOT A PAC 80 BATTERY ISOLATOR, YELLOW TOP OPTIMA, & MY SMALL BATTERY FOR CRANKING. HOW DO I WIRE ALL OF THESE TOGETHER?

T M H P

41 Replies Related Threads

Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    • Total Posts : 8394
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/17 18:51:38 (permalink)
    I used the Pac 200 on my RZR and Rhino.  Here's some pics of the Pac 200 on my RZR.

birdmanf250
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/17 19:49:44 (permalink)
    Two big posts go to positives on batts. Lil posts... One ground and one 12v to power on solenoid.

Ghost RZR

FTM 6" Arched Lift
    Gorilla Axles
    Speed Werx/Hot Seat Performance Custom Clutching
    UTV Inc. Intake/Donaldson Filtration
    Burke Moto Pro HID's
    Wet Sounds w/J Strong Top
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/17 20:19:49 (permalink)
    yep.  The 2 posts on your PAC 80 go to the positive on each battery.  1 to each post.  The negative post on each battery goes to ground.  The 2 little wires on your Pac 80, 1 goes to ground and the other goes to a switched power source.  If the PAC 80 is the same as my PAC 200.
    emc
    Mud Pro
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/17 21:26:50 (permalink)
    OK, I HAVE MY AMP REMOTE WIRE RAN TO A POWER SOURCE THAT GETS HOT WHEN I TURN THE KEY ON, THUS THE KEY HAS TO BE ON TO LISTEN TO IT. WILL THE ISOLATOR STILL BLOCK OFF MY CRANKING BATTERY IF THE KEY IS ON, BECAUSE IT WILL BE GETTING POWER TO THE RELAY?

T M H P
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/17 21:51:50 (permalink)
    emc

OK, I HAVE MY AMP REMOTE WIRE RAN TO A POWER SOURCE THAT GETS HOT WHEN I TURN THE KEY ON, THUS THE KEY HAS TO BE ON TO LISTEN TO IT. WILL THE ISOLATOR STILL BLOCK OFF MY CRANKING BATTERY IF THE KEY IS ON, BECAUSE IT WILL BE GETTING POWER TO THE RELAY?

yes, it should.  That's the whole reason for hooking the little post to a switched power source.  I hook all my stuff like that to my acc. wire.  I splice in to it and then run additional jumpers as I need them.
    emc
    Mud Pro
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/17 22:10:36 (permalink)
    SO I CAN HOOK THE ISOLATOR TO THE SAME WIRE I HAVE MY REMOTE TURN ON FOR THE AMP HOOKED TO & EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK RIGHT?

T M H P
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 10:21:57 (permalink)
    emc

SO I CAN HOOK THE ISOLATOR TO THE SAME WIRE I HAVE MY REMOTE TURN ON FOR THE AMP HOOKED TO & EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK RIGHT?

yep.  It only has to be hooked up to a switched power wire.  It doesn't have to be the only wire hooked up to the switched power wire.
    emc
    Mud Pro
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 13:38:47 (permalink)
    I UNDERSTAND THAT BUT MY ? IS HOW DOES THE RELAY WORK? IF IT OPENS THE LINK BETWEEN THE BATTERIES WHEN THE KEY IS ON & THE MOTOR IS RUNNING TO CHARGE THE BATTERY, WON'T IT LET POWER BE PULLED FROM THE CRANKING BATTERY WHEN THE KEY IS ON? WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS I HAVE BOTH THE REMOTE WIRE & THE HOT WIRE FOR THE ISOLATOR HOOKED TO THE SAME ACC WIRE. BOTH ARE HOT WHEN THE KEY IS ON. I HAVE TO HAVE THE KEY ON FOR MY AMP TO COME ON. SO IS THIS GONNA LET MY AMP DRAW POWER FROM BOTH BATTERIES?

T M H P
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 14:32:02 (permalink)
    emc

I UNDERSTAND THAT BUT MY ? IS HOW DOES THE RELAY WORK? IF IT OPENS THE LINK BETWEEN THE BATTERIES WHEN THE KEY IS ON & THE MOTOR IS RUNNING TO CHARGE THE BATTERY, WON'T IT LET POWER BE PULLED FROM THE CRANKING BATTERY WHEN THE KEY IS ON? WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS I HAVE BOTH THE REMOTE WIRE & THE HOT WIRE FOR THE ISOLATOR HOOKED TO THE SAME ACC WIRE. BOTH ARE HOT WHEN THE KEY IS ON. I HAVE TO HAVE THE KEY ON FOR MY AMP TO COME ON. SO IS THIS GONNA LET MY AMP DRAW POWER FROM BOTH BATTERIES?

Don't shout at me.  (That's what all caps means) I'm pretty sure that the whole reason each battery has their own post on the Isolator is so that power flows from the ACC switched power wire to the isolator and then out to each battery.  The juice coming to the ACC switched power would be coming from you charging system.  The other reason each battery has their own positive post on the isolator keeps one battery from draining the other.  I'm no expert, but I think that's about how it works.
    emc
    Mud Pro
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 14:39:13 (permalink)
    Ok I'm just tryin to get it right. I don't wanna be stranded by a dead battery. Thanks.

T M H P
    Tree
    Puddle Jumper
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 14:54:14 (permalink)
    Eric when the key is on both batteries will be charging, when the key is off the will not see each other. The relay works like this the 2 big lugs go to the batteries one small lug to ground and the other goes to the ignition. When the relay sees the ignition it connects the batteries together. I hope this helps, if not you can get my number from Shane.

08 BF 750    
    Team Green    
    14" ss 312's
    30" Silverbacks
    Maroon Primary
    Almond Secondary     
    Tunes
    EPI Springs
    Radiator Relocated
    2" RDC Lift 
    MIMB Snorkels
    North Texas ATV
    hbchad
    Mud Monster
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 19:06:51 (permalink)
    may be too late, but I run 2 voltage regulators, have one connected to the bike like normal (with a small starting battery) and the other connected to the optima (which runs the stereo). 

With this setup, they're completely isolated from one another all the time...key on or off...no equalizing between the 2 batteries when the ignition is turned on or worrying about listening too long and going dead...

2012 rzr-s 
    31" outlaws
    bunch of other stuff...

2012 Ranger Crew
    6" Outkast
    34" Terms
    even more other stuff...

Going deep on TheNattyBoys youtube channel
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 20:21:32 (permalink)
    emc

Ok I'm just tryin to get it right. I don't wanna be stranded by a dead battery. Thanks.

Ok, I understand.  I have this set-up in both my Rhino and RZR and I've never had a problem.
    Boomer5
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 539
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/18 22:24:20 (permalink)
    I used the PAC stuff and ended up with dead batteries. I went to a smart isolator that regulates voltage with the Surepower 1314 and wont ever go back to a PAC.

I had my PAC wired so when the key was on, the PAC was energized and so both batteries were in no more than a parallel circuit.  Problem is that when you go to start, both battery banks are open and if Aux battery is weak(due to running a stereo, etc with bike off), the main battery voltage is pulled down as well.  Keep in mind too, that even if it does start, main battery voltage will remain low because the stator is having to charge the weaker Aux battery back to normal health in addition to the main batt. So if you are going to use the PAC, make sure that you have some sort of a switch or you will be stranded.

The surepower works by regulating voltage between both battery banks. The Aux battery will ONLY begin to charge until the Main battery voltage hits 13.2V. Once this happens, the isolator directs power to both Main and Aux batts. Once main battery voltage drops to 12.7V, the isolator cuts off charging to Aux till main gets back up to 13.2V. It also bridges both batteries at startup if the aux is within a certain voltage to assist main in starting, but it will never use a weaker aux to assist in starting.  You can find this isolator for around $50
    post edited by Boomer5 - 2011/02/18 22:25:45

2010 Ranger Crew 800 - 2" Pro Lift, Gorilla Axles, Fox Shocks, 40" Rigid LED Bar, Rackzilla, 30" Radial Laws on ITP SS 312s, 4000lb Viper, Extreme Front Bumper 
    4BAMA1
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 8569
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/19 22:29:09 (permalink)
    I did some searching and that is a seperator not an isolator right.

The BATTERY SEPARATOR
    1314-200, 1315-200 and the 100 amp version 1314 & 1315 is designed for use in multi-battery applications as a solenoid priority system to protect the chassis charging system from excessive loading while allowing auxiliary batteries to be charged. The BATTERY SEPARATOR has two basic operational characteristics:
    ASSIST IN ENGINE STARTING
    When the starter is activated the BATTERY SEPARATOR compares the voltage of both battery banks. IF the chassis' battery is lower than the auxiliary battery bank, the BATTERY SEPARATOR will engage allowing the auxiliary battery bank to aid in vehicle starting. The start signal must be at least three volts for the operation to occur.
    PROTECT THE CHARGING SYSTEM
    The BATTERY SEPARATOR monitors the battery system to determine if the batteries are being charged. When the engine or auxiliary batteries (if 1315 is used), or the engine batteries (if 1314 is used) reach 13- 13.5 volts, indicating charging is taking place, the BATTERY SEPARATOR will engage, joining the two battery banks. If the drain on the charging system by the auxiliary or main battery bank reduces the system voltage below 12.4-12.9 volts, the BATTERY SEPARATOR will disconnect the battery banks from each other, thus protecting the respective battery banks from excessive drain. A delay function has been incorporated in the control circuit to prevent the BATTERY SEPARATOR from reacting to momentary voltage fluctuations and chattering.

CHRIS
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

09 Camo Rhino Warn 3,000 ,ITP Type7 14"XTR,
    Yamaha Fenders, Hard Top, Full Custom Snorkels,
    IPOD W/Amp, Overhead speakers,, H/L 2" Lift H/L Springs
    Trail Armor Bash Plate, Vision HID 8,000K Head Lights.

20" LED Light Bar 

BAMA'S PHOTOS

Bama's Photos 2
    Mrmojorisan
    Outlaw
    • Total Posts : 3500
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 09:11:59 (permalink)
    Yes the surepower is a seperator and is ideal for atv/sxs use.  Google isolator wiring diagrams.  There is a site that should pop up on the first page and you can do some reading.  Isolators are not ideal and most people don't even realize they have them wired wrong.  As described above, if you're running it this way, you might as well just have two batts run in parallel without the isolator, cuz as soon as you turn the key on, you're leveling the volts between the two batts.  The seperator is extremely simple to wire and is more ideal for an atv/sxs

'10 Ranger Crew 800 with stuff and plenty of boom (family wagon, aka the party bus)
    '08 Rhino 700 EFI, with stuff (my personal ride - which I think I'm going to sell)
    (2) '07 Arctic Cat 250 - My two daughter's rides
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 14:27:44 (permalink)
    Mrmojorisan

Yes the surepower is a seperator and is ideal for atv/sxs use.  Google isolator wiring diagrams.  There is a site that should pop up on the first page and you can do some reading.  Isolators are not ideal and most people don't even realize they have them wired wrong.  As described above, if you're running it this way, you might as well just have two batts run in parallel without the isolator, cuz as soon as you turn the key on, you're leveling the volts between the two batts.  The seperator is extremely simple to wire and is more ideal for an atv/sxs

I'm not having any problems running the PAC 200.  I tried running my batteries in parallel and I had problems.  Since I've installed the PAC 200, it's worked like a charm, so It can't be the same as running the batteries in parallel.
    Mrmojorisan
    Outlaw
    • Total Posts : 3500
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 15:03:14 (permalink)
    okey dokey.. maybe I'm missing something with your setup.. but setup that way, the batts are joined when the key is on

'10 Ranger Crew 800 with stuff and plenty of boom (family wagon, aka the party bus)
    '08 Rhino 700 EFI, with stuff (my personal ride - which I think I'm going to sell)
    (2) '07 Arctic Cat 250 - My two daughter's rides
    Pondtunes
    Mud Bogger
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 15:49:45 (permalink)
    These guys are correct if you have it wired to your switch and your switch has to be on for the radio to play you are connecting the batteries via the solenoid whenever the key is in the on position.   This means while you're sitting there both batteries are acting like one big battery which will increase run-time but may leave you with TWO dead batteries.

I suggest wiring everything up like this:
    Wire your radio/amplifier/whatever else you want on the aux battery directly to the aux battery (POWER AND GROUND) and get it off the cranking battery circuit.  If you leave it connected to the primary battery and wire an amp to the aux battery you could still end up with 2 dead batteries.   This will allow you to turn the radio on at any time, the remote wire should supply power to the amplifier unless you're just running an ipod.

There are a couple work arounds:
    1) Use a voltage sensitive relay to handle the charging/connecting of the aux battery for you.  Surepower has already been mentioned, blue sea systems makes nice ones too.

2)  Connect the positive wire of the solenoid to a toggle switch, this way you can parallel the batteries when you desire, this will also prevent the batteries from being connected for short runs slowly draining the cranking battery.

3) Depending on space you could go with a marine style 1/2/BOTH Switch (look @ perko/blue sea systems)  These things are about 6" in diameter..   The advantage of doing a 1/2/BOTH switch is you can leave the current electrical system un-touched  and manually select the battery you want to use, for a short ride switch to battery 1 crank the engine, switch to battery #2 while you're off riding to put some charge back on it. This will be less strain on your stator since you can charge 1 battery at the time.

The dis-advantage to this is needing to remember to manually switch them, or forgetting to switch them from the BOTH setting and ending up with 2 dead batteries.

We're Just Like You.... Only Dirtier...

My Rides:
    2005 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE (Black)
    - 28" Monkies
    - Whoolie Shop Underbody Lighting
    -Cat's Eyes Headlight LEDs
    - Clutch work Coming Soon!

2003 Honda Rancher ES (Rhino Linered Black)
    - Underbody LED Lighting
    - Rhino Linered Custom Mounted Cooler (Illuminated)
    - Fiberglass Stereo Enclosure for Front Rack
    1989 Yamaha Banshee (White)  SOLD!
    Boomer5
    Mud Master
    • Total Posts : 539
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 15:53:30 (permalink)
    Mrmojorisan

okey dokey.. maybe I'm missing something with your setup.. but setup that way, the batts are joined when the key is on

Yep!

I used the PAC 200 in my ranger where I run a RIGID 40" LED Bar along with a 600W stereo, and I have been stranded one time, and I changed to the Surepower after that and have not had issues since.

The only way to make sure you dont have starting issues with the PAC is to make sure you set up a manual toggle switch to control when both battery banks are paralled together. If you have the PAC wired to the "key ON" position, and you like to run the aux battery while it isnt running, be prepared to have issues upon startup.

2010 Ranger Crew 800 - 2" Pro Lift, Gorilla Axles, Fox Shocks, 40" Rigid LED Bar, Rackzilla, 30" Radial Laws on ITP SS 312s, 4000lb Viper, Extreme Front Bumper 
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 16:57:04 (permalink)
    I don't know.  I'm not an electrician.  I probably don't have any issues, because I don't run my stereo for hours without the engine running.   I'll check in to the battery separator.
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 17:03:01 (permalink)
    What's the difference between the 1314 and the 1315?
    emc
    Mud Pro
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 18:34:26 (permalink)
    I WIRED MY REMOTE TURN ON FOR THE AMP TO A SWITCH SO I CAN TURN THE AMP ON WITHOUT THE KEY BEING ON. PROBLEM SOLVED.

T M H P
    hammons69
    Dirt Monster
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 18:56:46 (permalink)
    no doubt the toggle switch for the stereo is the only way to go so you can listen to it without the key on all i have is a blue top no other battery and it has never let me down

TEAM N2DEEP
    2009 rzr
    dual loony tune exhaust
    powercommander
    full stereo
    6in catvos 
    31 s\w laws on 14 nukes  
     black plastic with flat black **** RZR wrap 
    custom diamond plate roof
    hid's
    and so on

Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/21 19:05:45 (permalink)
    hammons69

no doubt the toggle switch for the stereo is the only way to go so you can listen to it without the key on all i have is a blue top no other battery and it has never let me down

I have my amp hooked to a switch too, but it only works if the key is on.  If you have yours hooked to a switch directly without needing the key to be on and you turn it down and forget to turn it off, you will have a dead battery before to long.  Plus, this keeps other people from turning your amp on unless the key is on.
    H20
    Super Swamper
    • Total Posts : 2935
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/22 15:01:18 (permalink)
    How many amps does the isloator draw to become energised or connect the batteries for charging?

Check out my photobucket  http://photobucket.com/H20_album
    Sponsored by frost brewed Coors Light.
     All donations accepted (16oz cans only)
    Outkast Fabworx link below.
     http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100002184042333

emc
    Mud Pro
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/22 21:21:00 (permalink)
    HOOKED IT TO MY ACC WIRE & IT COMES ON AS SOON AS I TURN THE KEY ON.

T M H P
    Silveradols
    Outlaw Extremist
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/22 22:58:02 (permalink)
    emc

HOOKED IT TO MY ACC WIRE & IT COMES ON AS SOON AS I TURN THE KEY ON.

That's how my PAC 200 is powered.
    Pondtunes
    Mud Bogger
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM WITH ISOLATOR FOR RZR WIRING ? 2011/02/23 06:53:00 (permalink)
    EMC the simplest solution to what you're trying to do is this:

1) install a lit toggle switch some where you can see it
    2) wire the amp turn on to the toggle switch
    3) wire the toggle switch directly to the aux battery
    4) leave the pac wired as is.

This way your pac will connect the batteries together whenever you turn the key on as is, and your amp can be turned on at any time.   I assume you don't have a radio/head unit installed because you have the remote turn on wired up to accessory power, if you do have a head unit you should connect it to the accessory battery and hook up the remote turn on for the amp to the remote turn on output of the radio, then the radio can tell the amp when to come on eliminating the need for a toggle switch. 
    post edited by Pondtunes - 2011/02/23 06:57:40

We're Just Like You.... Only Dirtier...

My Rides:
    2005 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE (Black)
    - 28" Monkies
    - Whoolie Shop Underbody Lighting
    -Cat's Eyes Headlight LEDs
    - Clutch work Coming Soon!

2003 Honda Rancher ES (Rhino Linered Black)
    - Underbody LED Lighting
    - Rhino Linered Custom Mounted Cooler (Illuminated)
    - Fiberglass Stereo Enclosure for Front Rack
    1989 Yamaha Banshee (White)  SOLD!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5